Murray
Verde
Verde

Greg Gordon -Super Verde Update ?

Post by Murray »

Hey Greg I just read about your tribulations with SV.and was wondering if you've come to any conclusions yet as to the cause.I'm particularly interested as I've just used the Total Seal rings albeit on stock 2.5L pistons.I've done a 50 mile break-in - thrashed the little devil and I don't have any blue smoke.To soon to determine if there is any oil consumption - snows back so I'll have to wait.Good luck! By the way my new injectors work great.Engine fired after 3 revs and idled smoothly after a complete rebuild.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Murray,
I have not had much time to post on the forum because of work in my shop.

I doubt you will have any oil consumption problem. We have use those rings before on a few engines without any issues.

The problem in this case is probably because of some incorrectly transmited specs from Total Seal to Venolia. There is a lot of potential for error with custom applications, and a lot is custom on that piston set up. Plus they use some specs in metric and some in SAE, that seems like a recipie for trouble to me. Our theory is that the oil control rings don't have enough tension because they were probably made to the wrong specs. I should know tomorrow since I sent a piston, ring set and liner to Total Seal for analysis and they recieved the package today. Kevin at Total Seal has been very helpfull so far.

As soon as I have new information I will update my site. It's too bad because the car ran REALLY well, it just used oil like crazy, I mean tons of smoke and a quart in about 100 miles. We are turning this into an upgrade by going to our new solid copper head gaskets.

I am glad your engine started right up and is doing well. Like most of us I followed your rebuild carefully and it looks really good. I am also glad you like the injectors!