klharper
Silver
Silver

V-6 Main bearing gasket

Post by klharper »

Hi,

I am building an engine, which is actually in a 164 but the same as a GTV-6. The rear main bearing has 2 black plugs about 3" long which were not in the gasket set, and the vendor says that they do not have them in any sets now, nor can they be ordered indvidually.
So the obvious question is does anyone have a source for these.

Thanks
Kevin Harper
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Kevin if you're referring to the two long rectangular seals I have just finished installing an AR OEM gasket set and they were included.I have the package in front of me and the part number for the complete set is either 60777966 or 60777987.I provide two numbers because the first is computer-stamped on the label and the second is hand-written on it.Just to be clear this is the complete 2.5L gasket set which in my case included the 2 rear bearing block seals.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

'Cigarette seals' . I was told the same thing by a vendor. My old ones were still flexible so I reused them, each in their respective groove with the addition of some high temp gasket sealer. They were still very tight.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Guys I believe there was a design change at some point.Initially the seals "cigarette seals" looked just like that -long and round and the bearing block had a round hole machined in it.Later design is rectangular.I haven't a clue when this change occured but my engine which is an 86 has the rectangular seals.
1986-GTV6
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

87' Verde
klharper
Silver
Silver

Seals

Post by klharper »

I'm sure there was different design, but you now have my curiosity if these were not run at the same time. This block is a round/ aka cigarette seal, but it is from a 91 block. From all of the engines I have had apart in the past these have been round, but all of them are pre 91 US models.
Yours being an 86 makes me wonder if alfa ran different seals for different markets, not likely but...

Murray wrote:Guys I believe there was a design change at some point.Initially the seals "cigarette seals" looked just like that -long and round and the bearing block had a round hole machined in it.Later design is rectangular.I haven't a clue when this change occured but my engine which is an 86 has the rectangular seals.
Kevin Harper
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Kevin for what it's worth my 86 2.5L is a US.Spec.car origionally sold in CA.Who knows what the story is here ? I do know that some people have successfully used Permatex in lieu of these seals.Sealant "injected" down the holes.I've even read that this was an AR factory recommended alternative ? One thing for sure -the fact that this work requires engine removal and disassembly dictates that there is NO room for error.If you can't obtain the correct AR seal then I would suggest trying the Permatex and then filling the area with thin fluid (coolant might work) and standing the block on its rear overnight to verify if there is any seepage.

Good luck.
1986-GTV6
Keith
Silver
Silver

Post by Keith »

I have a tube of the Alfa oe sealant in my hand now, its Loctite 510. You are supposed to inject it into the groove for the old cigarette seals, just make sure you dont leave any air bubbles when you do this.