fnmhurley
Silver
Silver

Rear Motor Mount

Post by fnmhurley »

Hope someone out there can be some help,

We're looking at replacing the rear motor mount in an '86 GTV6.
Wondering if anyone has any trick or method to make this easier.
Also, and most importantly, can this be done with the engine in car?

Any info is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Fred
scott.venables
Gold
Gold

Re: Rear Motor Mount

Post by scott.venables »

Hi Fred. Yes it can be done in the car, it will be easier if you can rock the motor back(down at the back). Try twisting the centre tube out with a shifter on the end (shear the old rubber) and then use pieces of pipe/tube/sockets and a G-clamp to press the outer piece out. They're offset (the centre tube sticks out further from one side) so take note of which way it needs to go back in.

Scott
fnmhurley
Silver
Silver

Post by fnmhurley »

Thanks for the reply
That all sounds good, though you've broached a subject I've yet to ask about.

The reason we're looking at the mount is because 1) it is worn, but also becuase 2 the engine looks to be a little twisted or skewed in the engine bay. This is really noticeable looking at the rear mount, which you mentioned is offset. My forward mounts are in great shape, but the rear is tired. But again, the reason we're looking at the mounts is the appearence of the engine in the bay. Is the engine slightly offset on purpose, or is the rear mount just tired? Any more info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help so far,
Fred
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

im pretty sure that standard from the factory the engines lean a little to one side in the bay. if your front mounts are fine replacing the rear wont really make too much of a difference if its replaced. by all means if it is broken it must be replaced, but otherwise i wouldnt be too concerned.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie