mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Re: SUSPECT CTS??

Post by mjr »

well no miracle cure yet. old fuel filter was fairly clean. new filter connected up, car has the same problem. went for adjusting the AFM air bypass screw, only to find it is wound all the way in already (closed), adjusting it back the other way (opening it) just makes the car run even worse on idle. no choice now but to take the car in next week and plug in exhaust gas analyser and o2 sensor, to find out what the heck is going on at idle. I'm starting to suspect the afm may have gone bad, so will swap in another next week to see what happens. it's a shame they never provided a piggy back wire or connector on the ECU, so that you could measure the voltages going into the ecu, to determine the cause of over/under fuelling.

noticed in very hot weather the other day, during irregular idle, there was a small knock coming from the right hand cam bank too, its never done that before! doesn't do it unless its very hot. I think we will check the cam timming again too!! :?
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

Did you test flow your injectors? I would recommend you to go to any diagnostic service that has some proper tools, like osciloscope, gas analyzer test etc.. AFM can be tested with osciloscope too.

Had pretty same problems with my 24v, it was running lean on one cyl (injector jammed) and another was running rich (spark plug almost died) + lambda probe went to hell.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

its going in next thursday to be plugged into gas analyser, so we can see exactly what it is running like at idle, ie high low hydros etc. the afm will be swapped then, and I'll let the garage test the injectors, as I havent got the time to.
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

First thing I did, was gas analyzer and setting up of AFM, but that was wrong since the problem was related to spark (jumping on ground) and injector running lean on one cylinder.

Point is; be careful becouse we managed to set good emission, but we didn't know that problem is still there...
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

how did you test the injectors? did you have to pull them out to test them?
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

All testing performed local diagnostic expert, he used only osciloscope. There was no need to take of injectors.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

well replaced AFM, no difference. found a fault in the TPS though, so swapped that out for a good one, and gas analyser went fron 8% co2 warmed up to 0.7% co2 warmed up!!!, but car still runs bad at idle, now on the lean side instead of way too rich. when on the analyser the co2 is up and down from 0.7 to 1.5% and back again, this explains the poor idling. Hydrocarbons are fine, which confirms there is no air leak. fuel pressure is steady at 30 psi, Injectors tested out ok, so I am suspecting a coolant issue still, I am going to order a new CTS sensor tommorow and see if this cures the fault. ignition is currently set about 1 degree retarded for unleaded. Will probably change this to 2-3 degree advanced for power. car ran perfectly to the garage, even on tick over. Once we started it back up warm/hot, 80c. Ran like crap again.