cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Cold Engine Start Up

Post by cchan »

I was just wondering if anyone knows why a cold motor is hard to start up while a warm motor is not.

On my GTV6 if the temp is around 50 degrees to 60 degrees it takes about 5-7 cranks for it to hold the idle. Once it is warm it starts up on the first crank.

Today, it is around 80+ degrees and when I tried to start it it started up on the 1 crank. We are going to work on this in the near future but I was just wondering the logic behind this. My GTV6 runs perfect after warm up but I want it to start up faster when cold.

Thanks for any insight on this.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Re: Cold Engine Start Up

Post by Murray »

Cchan one of the best explanations of the principals involved is on Greg Gordon's website http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Ljetronic.htm
Scroll down to "Cold start system"
Basically your engine needs a richer mixture on cold start than it does otherwise and on the L-Jet system there are 2 devices that accomplish this task, the Cold Start Injector and the Auxiliary Air Valve.I believe your car no longer runs the stock L-jet but the principals still apply and your aftermarket controller would increase injector pulse time based on coolant and intake air temperature.Probably needs a little tweaking of the programming to get it right.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Cold Engine Start Up

Post by kevin »

Need to remap cold start at cold temp(winter) and it should be perfect on first crank(richer mixture). I think you can map gotech from -5 deg. Thats why the car is normally left overnight at dyno shop so they can do cold map following day. To rich and you wash the walls of barrels.