SPAIN
Silver
Silver

VALVE GUIDES

Post by SPAIN »

I HAVE ORDERED PARTS TO REBUILD ENGINE FROM EB SPARES IN UK. THEY NEED TO KNOW WHICH GUIDES I NEED, BRONZE OR METAL. WHICH???
THE PISTONS ARE OK BUT MUST REPLACE RINGS. WHICH SHOULD I GET?
MY LAST QUESTION IS ON SUSPENSION. I AM REDUCING HIGHT BY 1 INCH BUT DO NOT WANT A HARD RIDE. EB SPARES SUGGEST HARVEY BAILEY SPRINGS AND FRONT ANTIROLL BAR, KONI SHOCKS. WHAT DO YOU THINK? COULD I INSTALL THE SPRINGS BUT LEAVING THE FRONT STOCK ANTIROLL BAR?

THANKS,
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Bronze alloy guides are best, for both intake and exhaust in any Alfa. I would use the std rings, but you must hone the liners to break the glazing You can do this yourself, but its very quick and inexpensive to have a proper machine shop do it (is piston/liner clearance within limits?). The H-B suspension kit is very good for fast road use, but if you lower the car I suggest you must install the front bar supplied. As a matter of fact, I think they only sell the complete kit, not just the springs or the bar separately.
Jim K.
Plastic Pig
Silver
Silver

Post by Plastic Pig »

The H-B kit comprises of two rear springs and the thicker front anti-roll bar.
I have one on my 75 and don't find the ride harsh or uncomfortable. In fact, as the car doesn't wallow like it did on the original suspension, I'd say that it's an improvement.
Bill Smith
2000 GTV, GTV6 3.5, 75 3.0 V6, GTV 3.0 V6 24V
SPAIN
Silver
Silver

valve guides

Post by SPAIN »

Appreciate your advise. One last thing. Koni, bilstein or spax shock absorbers . Which are better for road use, with the new springs and antiroll bar?

Thanks again.
Luis
Gold
Gold

Post by Luis »

Hola Pancho.

I have the front sway bar (30mm) and rear springs (60kg) from RSR Racing, is a good idea do this if you want to upgrade to the full kit in the future.

I have koni´s, close to 300€.

I´m from Spain too, if you want to know spanish alfa forums i can give you the info.
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

I'm from Spain too. You can contact Luis and me also at the forum from www.alfa75turbo.net
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

For what its worth, after going through Spica gtv Racing, Koni Yellow, AVO, Spax, I settled on Bilsteins as they gave the best street/track compromise even without the adjustability feature of the others (except Spica which are not adj.). All others, gave a harsh street ride, no matter where they were set. They could be adjusted properly for the track, but street behavior was not acceptable (to me, anyway). Surpisingly, the Bilsteins behaved impeccably on the track (helped by the rest of the modified suspension, of course!). All this, before installing the RS kit.
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I agree 100% with Jim K.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
SPAIN
Silver
Silver

valve guides

Post by SPAIN »

Thanks Jim for your advise. Still not sure if I should leave the car as standard as possible or modify the suspension, etc. So far I have ordered from EB Spares in the UK polyrethane bushes (where avaliable) . They don´t offer bilstein shocks any longer (according to them too expensive ). With regards to the pistons, i have kept the original (stil in good condition) but ordered Total Seal rings via Performance unlimited in the UK. Should arrive this week. One last question Jim, will ride improve by only changing shocks and bushes? No offence but I am changing to spanish now.

Que tal Luis y Jose, vivo en Cartagena y ya he contactado con vuestra web, soy el cincuenta y tantos de vuestro registro (Francisco Peral Alvarez). Hoy mismo han terminado de sanear y pintar el compartimento motor. En cuanto llegue el pedido de EB spares esta semana empezarán a montar el motor. Tambien se va a revisar suspension, frenos, neumaticos y escape (una fortuna y sigue subiendo) . Cuando terminen la mecánica se pintará entero (por dentro y por fuera). Si se os ocuure alguna sugerencia o mejora antes de que empiecen por favor comunicarmelo. Luis, que es RSR Racing. merece la pena ?

Un saludo,

Pancho
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

The ride will definitely be improved by changing shocks and bushes alone. Bilsteins are too expensive? Here in Greece they cost ~300Euros/set and as I said, they are the best before the RSRacing setup!
Regarding piston rings, I have the stock AR rings (made by BorgoNova) and zero oil consumption after 110,000km in the 3liter.
Jim K.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Damn..........Im from South Africa..........No Spanish Alfa forums for me........
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
SPAIN
Silver
Silver

VALVE GUIDES

Post by SPAIN »

Jim, thanks for your advise.I will look for the bilsteins in Spain. Any specific model? What do you mean by RS kit? How does it perform?Please apologise for so many questions I'M Learning.

By the way Barry, are you being sarcastic or just joking.?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Relax........chill........Joking........did not know there are any more Alfa forums out there............
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Plastic Pig
Silver
Silver

Re: VALVE GUIDES

Post by Plastic Pig »

SPAIN wrote:I will look for the bilsteins in Spain. Any specific model?
E. B. Spares sell specially valved Bilsteins to use with the Harvey Bailey kit.

The RS Racing kit is an alternative to the Harvey Bailey kit. It's available with different settings depending on the application (i.e. fast road/track etc.). It was developed by Ron Simons and is used on his 75 Experience cars at the Nurburgring. You'll find details here:
http://www.alfaromeo-performanceparts.c ... Suspension'
Bill Smith
2000 GTV, GTV6 3.5, 75 3.0 V6, GTV 3.0 V6 24V
Luis
Gold
Gold

Post by Luis »

I have Ron Simons front sway bar (30mm) and rear springs (60 kg) the price is almost the same as Harvey Bailey kit, but you can upgrade later to the full RSRacing kit whith only front coilover and shocks, if you have to buy bilsteins too maybe full RSRacing is the way to go.