75evo
Verde
Verde

164 24V cam cover gasket interchangeable with 156/GTV ones?

Post by 75evo »

They look similar, but I'm not 100% certain. Serf Efricans should be a pro at this. 164 ones are tough to find. Very easy to find 156 cam cover gaskets.

Thanks!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: 164 24V cam cover gasket interchangeable with 156/GTV on

Post by kevin »

No don't fit . The gasket design on the newer 24v motors on 156/166 is far superior and never leak as they fit in a recess in the cam cover . Another benefit of using the chain driven 24v motor in 116 conversion along with the better cam tensioner .
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Thanks Kev.

So the 156 cam covers have a groove in the middle to fit the bulge of the rubber gasket?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yep . This works really well on front of cover over the cams while on 164 those rubber pieces which come with gasket set are a pain . I always put an extremely thin wipe of silicone on edge of gasket on the 164 to make sure no leaks .
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

You're right Kev, found this photo:
Attachments
gta_cam_cover_underside.jpg
gta_cam_cover_underside.jpg (203.36 KiB) Viewed 7987 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

AKA PIP-gasket, push in place.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

PIMP gaskets in Oz, after the people who buy them. When was the last time you bought one, MD? :lol:
Feeling happy today, just spent ~1hr tapping the 3.2 crank oilways for plugs, ½"NF. In the pic you can see the threaded part beginning where the oilway steps down to 12mm. Unfortunately they don't sell ½" headless plugs here so I'll have to make them out of ½" bolts, with slots to fit a screwdriver. I adjusted the thread depth so I can have 6 full turns. In case you ask why I insist on opening up the crank, the second pic is your answer. These things are half of what was in there and they are like little rocks made up of old oil and metal paste from bearings, rings, whatever. Slowly but surely, work progresses. When I get my own rod balance fixture, I'll calculate the bobweights and fix them on the journals.
Jim K.

75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Hey JK, you're cleaning your crank I see. haha :mrgreen:

Anyway, you I think I should have kept that oil pump gear. The old tsubaki style 164 tensioner is something I would love to get rid off. Not to mention if you break it, a new one is more epxnesive than a used 24v engine. I should have either made a spacer or a modified pan for my 75.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

The simple thermostatic plunger type tensioner does NOT break ...maybe that's why they changed it :idea: . If you don't like it, you can always lock it in place with the steel pin and go fixed; no problem there either. Forget about the new gear pump, too much trouble! I'm now building my 3.2 (164 origin) and my mechanic another 3.2 (166 origin) and I'm laughing, not only about the oil pump/sump but about the thermostat/water routing, timing cover w/o sensor, pulley w/o teeth, servo butterfly etc. Too many reasons to stay away from the 166 imo.
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Hmmm, you have a point there JK about lasting good parts with cheap ass parts.
And you're right about the coolant routing. Forgot about that. I told my dad the same thing, get a 164 Super engine, but he went and bought himself a 156 engine for his GTV6 3.0. I said, good luck!

BTW did you see my post about the use of the E90 BMW water pump and PWM controller? Forget this POS Italian water pump. German water pump all the way :D
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Der Deutche Wasserpumpe ist kein original Alfa teile. :roll: If someone installs one and works well as well as look good, I'll think about it.
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yep theirs much more work in the 166 type motor but if you make all the conversion pieces first time round its really quick to do the conversion . Probably about 10 reasons to go 164 route .
If the 164 tensioner is set right near its minimum with a pin just protruding you have no problem if it fails as it can go no where . Just will get an extra 1mm induced slack .
I just liked the oil pump , and easy access to parts in SA like water pump , cam belt bearings and gasket sets on the 166 type . Also the newer motors were less likely have issues on studs pulling out or snapping due to corrosion .
Ironically I'm doing another conversion slowly with a new gta motor without any of my old conversion pieces as I sold all that so I'm going to feel the pain again . :D
And even more ironic I have to take the new water pump off as the gta came with the plastic impellers which always split . :oops:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

PIMP gaskets in Oz..
Hey JK, I told you before. Stop being such a tight arse and recycling your grandsons underwear. It's too tight for ya. It's affecting your eyesight. You can't spell PIP.
Goodness knows what your valve clearances are like... :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse