zambon
Verde
Verde

Gasket questions- sump and intake runner

Post by zambon »

1:Is it a bad idea to re-use intake runner gaskets?

2:My engine's oil pans are currently sealed with silicone. I believe that I once read that it is not advised to run silicone down there because it reduces the amount of space beneath the oil pump. Can anyone confirm or debunk this idea?

Thanks for the help
zambon
Verde
Verde

Re: Gasket questions- sump and intake runner

Post by zambon »

Update:
1. I ended up re-using the gaskets. I coated them on both sides with copper gasket spray before I put them in.
2. Figured out where I got the idea that sealing the sump with silicone is a bad way to go: I read it in Jim K's book. I guess that pan has to come off.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Gasket questions- sump and intake runner

Post by kevin »

Sealing with silicone is not a bad thing if done correctly and its not all squishing out into sump . You want to keep the bead thin enough nearer the external edge so it does not get get hard and fall off into the sump which gets into the strainers etc . On th modern engines there are no gaskets however on the 12v the gasket is about 2mm thick which is necessary to keep the gap under the pump ( as per Jk ) and in my case with the 24v conversion it gave that fraction extra clearance so the conrod bolts don't catch the sump on number 6 .