BotswanaAlfa
Gold
Gold

strange smoking habits

Post by BotswanaAlfa »

heya, i went for i a drive this afternoon and i noticed something strange going on by my cars pipe, the car seemed to smoke, not a badly, but a visible amount of smoke was coming from the pipe at idle, worried that an oil ring or somesuch had gone i gave it a rev, and... the smoke vanished, no smell of burning oil nada, any ideas?
'83 GTV6 stock with Wildcat exhaust system
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: strange smoking habits

Post by kevin »

Valve guide seals is the culprit from your description . I assume you have not had this engine apart and these are the old seals . Sometimes you can get away with Wynns stop smoke which worked once only for me on an old motor . Follow its instructions but I noticed only after about 40km and a few hard laps on the circuit it did the trick . Its got some product in it that softens the seals .
Try it but must chuck the car about and get the engine hot . Generally you drain oil after problem is sorted .
You can replace these seals insitu but need some custom tools and correct seals as I have come across two new batches in the gasket sets that actually pop off even though they have been correctly put on . Once correct seals are in we have had no issues .
Sometimes you can check which bank it is by letting car idle on a slope sideways and then alternate sides . Also after a burn ( hard drive) let car idle for few mins and pull plugs you will also find the oily ones .
What oil you using ?
BotswanaAlfa
Gold
Gold

Post by BotswanaAlfa »

Hi again Kevin! again thanks for the fast reply :lol:
valve guides sounds about right then, ill definately try that solution, i dont feel like having to replacing the seals, having just got the old girl runnning again!
im using Castrol Magnatec 10w50 semi synthetic. its apparently one of the better oils here.
'83 GTV6 stock with Wildcat exhaust system
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I would use the 20w50 castrol magantec or gtx in that climate .