Jim K
Verde
Verde

Oil sump drain plug size

Post by Jim K »

Hi guys,
Strange things happening with the 24v motor I'm building. I'm missing the oil drain plug. The sump of course is rwd V6, from some gtv6 or 75V6, but the sump drain thread is not the usual M22x1.5. It seems its a M24x1.75. Looked closely at the thread and seems to be factory original, no sign it was enlarged. Anyone know about the subject? I can't find any history on this, all parts books point to a single part number plug: 60573441. I can find a simple non-magnetic plug here, but I'd rather have an original magnetic one rather than having to make one up!

Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Re: Oil sump drain plug size

Post by 75evo »

Very possible, I can ask Larry. But I must admit, it's rather unsual.

I remember a couple of other things:
1-Oil pressure switch thread difference between model years of the 75 V6/GTV6
1-Oil sump casting between model years of the 75 V6/GTV6
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: Oil sump drain plug size

Post by Jim K »

Yes, you are right. Looked around for M24x1.75 plug today, no such thing exists. Best thing that fits is a (non-metric) 5/8" plug which I got. Hmmm, don't want to live with that. What I'll do, is to sleeve the hole with a threaded insert and then drill/tap the std M22x1.5 thread. Crap, I hate non-standard $hit like this but as they say...it happens! :evil:
Hmmmm, on second thought, it ain't my engine so I won't have to live with it! Hahah, this was fast! Long live the 5/8" drain plug! :lol:

Jim k.