Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

Timing Belt

Post by Terry Johnston »

Having a bear of a problem getting the TB on. With the tensioner off I can get the belt on. With it on I can't. Any secrets? Terry Johnston
Terry
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

is this the original hydraulic tensioner? tried locking it in the retracted position first?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Terry,Make sure it has the same amount of teeth-dont know if its original A;fa or Gates etc...It might be for a foriegn engine and incorrectly supplied...

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hey guys, Barry, Mats, Greg and Co., I got a good one for you! What happens if after rebuilding a 75 3liter motor, behind the big crank pulley you install by mistake the newer (24v) cam belt pulley, with the round teeth, instead of the old flat teeth one?
Ok, time's up: You rebuild the engine 2 more times due to a worn out slipping belt in less than 2 months! Then, after the second belt failure, you sue the pants off the Alfa mechanic who screwd up mixing the pulleys! :lol: I can't decide if this goes into Ripley's or Guinness!
Jim K.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Rough one Jimbo,Not easy to check .....Did it ripp the teeth off the belt??Ive had that already,must also say the belt was old........Thats why I like using the 155v6 belt and pulleys on the older motor.Dont use the 155v6 tensioner on the old system either!!

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Scott in MN
Silver
Silver

Re: Timing Belt

Post by Scott in MN »

Terry Johnston wrote:Having a bear of a problem getting the TB on. With the tensioner off I can get the belt on. With it on I can't. Any secrets? Terry Johnston
Do some forum searches. I recently had problems getting my TB back on and found some good info. I ended up installing the belt w/o the tensioner (mech). Then backing off the cam sprockets one tooth. Then, when installing the tensioner, it pulled the cam marks into alignment. Dead on.

Refer to the engine maintenance manual for your car's year on the car disk to get the proper set up marks.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Do you guys leave the woodruff key in place??I pull them out,crack the pulley`s loose and then ass. all.Finally tighten the pulleys to the cams...Perfect..

Barry
Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

Timing Belt

Post by Terry Johnston »

Still no progress other that sore back. The tensioner is the new style. I am think of making a tool to retract the tensioner similiar to what is use in the TB video. Basically I will take a piece of oak put two nails in spaced to fit the two holes in the tensioner idler. We will see if that works like the video! It always looks easier on film!! Terry
Terry
Scott in MN
Silver
Silver

Post by Scott in MN »

Barry wrote:Do you guys leave the woodruff key in place??I pull them out,crack the pulley`s loose and then ass. all.Finally tighten the pulleys to the cams...Perfect..

Barry
No, I leave the cam pulleys on and tight.
Alfisto Steve
Silver
Silver

Post by Alfisto Steve »

Terry I hope you got your answer from Bob and my input over on alfabb and 164 digest?
Alfisto Steve
Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

Timing Belt

Post by Terry Johnston »

Steve,

It looks like it was the wrong belt a Dayco 94411. Dayco specifed a 95120 on their web site. That is being sent. It is interesting in that the label on the box says 164 3.0, maybe it is a euro spec or there is a slight diff between the 2.5 and 3.0 belt. The most obvious diff is that the teeth on the wrong belt are a touch wider than the belt I took off. Terry
Terry
Alfisto Steve
Silver
Silver

Re: Timing Belt

Post by Alfisto Steve »

Terry Johnston wrote:Steve,

It looks like it was the wrong belt a Dayco 94411. Dayco specifed a 95120 on their web site. That is being sent. It is interesting in that the label on the box says 164 3.0, maybe it is a euro spec or there is a slight diff between the 2.5 and 3.0 belt. The most obvious diff is that the teeth on the wrong belt are a touch wider than the belt I took off. Terry
The 2.5 and 3.0 12v engines use the same timing belt TB120. I use new part numbered Alfa belt 60619904 if I can get it, but TB120 is fine.
Alfisto Steve
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Terry,These days it s a bit crazy using the Original Alfa belt as they are mostly made by 2 or 3 manufacturers anyhow.We have such a selection to choose from and you can even find an upgrade to the original.
On the 24v v6 I have found a belt that is best described as a Mutha`..The 24v has a reputation of breaking belts-this replacement is far more robust-very simmilar to the Nissan rb26 belt in construction.We sometimes require shorter or longer belts as well-modified tensioners-and these are also available....

Barry
Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

Timing Belt

Post by Terry Johnston »

Well, I got the timing belt on! Funny how much easier it is when it is the correct part. The car started and is running smoothly but does not hold idle. It seems to gradually stall out even when warm. Did not notice any leaks from the water pump. Quess the next step is to verify timing and make sure everything is connected.
Terry