tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Running on 3?

Post by tImBoWe »

Hey guys your probably sick of explaining the same old things, but I seem to be having trouble with the 86 gtv6 running on just 3/4 clyinders. Have just installed the Greg Gordon intake kit and new vacuum hoses. Had to twist the afm 90 degrees to fit it in between the distributer. Will this make any difference to rough running? Distributer cap inside contacts look a little coroded. Possibly origanal plug wires also. New plugs tho. Should I check feul filter? have unpluged coolant ignition sensor of the thermastat housing. Will clean up all earths tommorrow as well. Any thing else to try while I'm there? Thanx Tim. :shock:
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Just one more thing: it started idling roughly about four or five days ago before I installed intake kit and vacuum hoses. Also inspected the o-ring in the plenum and spun it round so the indented surface is facing the other way. What does the limp home mode entail?as what happens? Wondering if its has gone into limp home mode?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Is there a limp-home mode?

Try the old trick and change the cap and rotor, sounds like it is due anyway.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Went down to the local Repco store {like small town parts mart} today and checked to see if they had a distributer cap or rotor in stock. UMMMM no sir sorry but we can get you a distributer cap in a week or so.... $65.00. The rotor would be $95.00 if they could get one. WHAT??? So home I go crank up the computer and find IAP has both bits in stock for $19.65... :shock: But the picture they show is nowhere near the same item I pulled from my distributer. Check this.
Attachments
Resize of Resize of gtv6 Rotor.jpg
Resize of Resize of gtv6 Rotor.jpg (14.21 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

This is the one that IAP has on thier site. Whats the go?
Attachments
IAPs rotor
IAPs rotor
29510000w.jpg (16.64 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
fuzzysi
Silver
Silver

Post by fuzzysi »

hi,

the first rotor arm is one with a centrifugal rev limiter, when the engine gets to around 6300rpm (it should say on the side) the centripital force of a little sliding contact will over come the force of the spring holding it in and then short out the spark.

the second doesnt have one

simon
Alfa 75 2.5V6
Alfasud 1.5SC
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Ahh all is revealed.Thanks for that Simon. I shall place my order now. Tim.
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Hi Tim your story with local prices sounds very similar, I priced parts with the local agents here in Auckland and nearly passed out , i now make a list of what is needed and get them from IAP at half the price inclusive of exchange rate and freight. Let us know if your problems are solved by the cap and rotor my car is also playing up at the moment with erratic idle when hot and very low idle during the warm up stge .

Tom
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Sure thing. Expecting the cap and rotor by weeks end. Very impressed at speed of delivery. Good resource that IAP. Will update.
Tim.