Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Oil pressure problems!

Post by Seb »

Hi guys!

Now that my 3.0QV conversion of my GTV6 is done and I have it up and running, I´ve run in to some problems. I have low oil pressure.
Cold at idle 4 bar. Warm, driving 1 - 2 bar. Warm idle 0 - 0,5 :-/

Thread here: http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=88

But before asking some qustions what to do about it, I have to explain the situation, so bare with me.

The 3.0QV engine from the 164 has its dizzy on the back of the LH cylinderbank. Since the dizzy isn´t on the same axle as the oil pump then the gear for the pump is doing 1,5 rotation for every engine rotation. So, there is a higer rotation in the 3.0QV original.
On the GTV6 where the dizzy and the pump runs om that same axle, so I had to put the gear from the 2.5 in the engine so that the dizzy works. That is the reason for the lower pessure!

So now my question is:
Is there anything I can do to get the pressure up, without rebuilding the engine and putting back the 3.0QV gear. I am currently running it on QS 20w-50 Mineral Racing oil.

I now this is a wide area, but I appreciate all the help I can get.

Sincerely Seb
Proud member of Team Rauk Race.

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
75 3.0 Race Car "The raukster"
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Have you verified the oil pressure with an accurate gauge (not the Alfa instrumentation gauge)?

Doesn't the Motronic for the 24v 164 use coil packs - no distributor? Didn't realize it uses a distributor :?

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Jes, its a 12v, so it has a dizzy.

No I havn´t checked with an accurate gauge yet, just discovered the problem yesterday. Will do.

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Seb,I concur with Mats,get a mechanical gauge to test-I reckon your pressure is good.The sender units always fill up with oil and dont work as when new.I cant see that a slower pump speed is going to drop pressure.All pumps have excess capacity and bypass excess oil..besides,here the 164 pump has the same volume as the gtv6-dont know about elswhere.........
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Barry!

Thanks for your tips. I will get an acurate gauge to test the "real" pressure. I only discovered the pressure problem yesterday. I will also change oil and filter and try to get a new sender unit.

Some say the rotation speed won´t matter, some say it will. Some say the viscosity of the oil will make a differense, and so on...

I just wanna be able to drive my car :-)

Thanks for now!

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
Luis
Gold
Gold

Post by Luis »

I have the same readings since my 3.0 conversion, so don´t worry too much.
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Seb,
The 3.0L should have a low oil pressure sender beneath the original distributor hole. At least I think that what it's for as I don't use it. Hook up a bulb to the sender and see if it lights up or use the hole with appropriate fittings to fit an oil pressure guage.

My 164 12V 3.0L has heaps better oil pressure than the old 2.5 and I used the 2.5 oil pump, sender, etc in my conversion.

David
Attachments
Low pressure sender.JPG
Low pressure sender.JPG (39.51 KiB) Viewed 10506 times
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Ok david, thanks!
But Your 3.0, is it a QV or a regular 3.0? Only the QV:s has the oiljets for the pistons and the different gear for the pump. The regular 3.0´s has the same pump speed as the 2.5´s, if my info is accurate.

The low oil pressure sender your´e pointing to, is it for the varning lamp in the dash?

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Seb,

Mine is the regular 3.0L. Yes, I think it is the low oil pressure light on the dash, What I was thinking, if you connect a powered bulb to it it should tell you if your oil pressure drops too much if it comes on when the engine is running.

David
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Seb,you want real life figures here-not just a lamp that inicates on/off..
Fit the master mechanical gauge and see where you are-its the only way..........once you have determined the status you can decide where to go from there.....

David,I know your trying to help,dont mean to shoot you down,mate.....the light indicator probably has a knee pressure of 0.2 to 0.8 bar only-this is no good in figuring out if its a sender unit or the pump and related hardware......
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Barry, I will, as I wrote further up. Just wondered what David ment.

Thanks a lot for your help guys, appreciate it!

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

At idle with a cheap 20-50 oil I have 5.5 bar cold and 0 (indicated) when warm.
With fully synth 10-40 4.5 cold and again 0 cold.
Crusing at approx 2500rpm (~70mph indicated) 2.5bar.
I think you figures are OK.
My car has done 115.000miles (75qv).
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Barry,

No problem, I agree with you entirely with using a guage. I was just thinking of a quick method using the sender if its still in the block to see if there really was no oil pressure.

David
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Ok, this is what I will do now:
I got me a MANN oil filter and Selenia 10w-60 oil. This week I´ll get to borrow oil pressure meter aswell, to check my acurate readings.
I hope it´ll nice to me... :-/

I´ll keep you posted.

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Tonite I got the new Selenia 10w-60 in and a new MANN filter. After a testdrive it seems everything is up 1 bar. Idle cold 5 bar, warm 1-1,5. Warm @ 3000 about 2,5-3 bar.

This feels a little better. I syill have to check with an extern gauge and a different sensor. Will keep you posted.

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83