Murray
Verde
Verde

Help needed ! -valve removal

Post by Murray »

Guys I'm stripping out my heads and have encountered a snag.I have fashioned a valve spring compression tool similar to Greg G's and can successfully push the valves down however I can't figure out the godforsaken "cotters"which fasten the valve stem to the spring cap.I expected that when I compressed the valve spring I would then be able to push the valve up from below and then remove the "cotter"-not so.When I push up on the valve, while the springs are compressed,it doesn't move up !What am I missing ? Also these so-called "cotters" look like C clips to me are they or are they some other type of device.
1986 GTV6 2.5L
Attachments
VALVEassy1.jpg
VALVEassy1.jpg (4.88 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Friction...

The cotters/keepers are wedged in a conical "hole" in the retainers (the one you are pushing down), you probably need to give the valve a little tap upwards for it to release.
On the other hand, if you don't press square on the retainer it will be very difficult to loosen from the valve.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Thanks Mats your explanation cleared it up for me.I thought it might be helpful for future reference to post this picture of how the valves and springs are held together.It's been many years since I tore down an engine and I'd completely forgotten how the valve keepers worked.Now that I've seen them it all comes back to me!
By the way the more I measure parts of this engine (86 2.5L >200k miles) the more I'm convinced of the benefits of good oil and coolant change habits.Everything has come apart as if it was a new engine and so far there are no components that are not "mid-spec"except the piston ring end-gap.I'll change all seals,bearings rings and valve guides and seals but it looks like the rest of the engine is good for another 200k.
Attachments
ValveAssy..jpg
ValveAssy..jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 5074 times
1986-GTV6
Hippo58
Silver
Silver

Post by Hippo58 »

Murray,

You will have better luck if you "break" the cotters loose. Take an appropriate socket fitted with an extension bar and hit the spring retainers firmly with a hammer. That action breaks the friction at the conical area, so when you later press the spring with the compressor you can take the cotters out easily. A magnet is VERY handy there!

In fact you can take the cotters out without using the compressor! That depends on the engine and valve stem though. By hiting a bit harder (sort of), the spring compresses (more) and at the same time the cotters pop out! I haven't work in an alfa V6 yet (soon though...) but a while ago in an Alfa 146 I couldn't do it like this because the cotters were too long and the valve stem had 3 grooves instead of one as per the pic of yours.

Anyway, still the compressor I used ("C" clamp type) had a warning sticker on it saying that you have to break the cotters first otherwise the compressor might bend!

If you have finished by now I hope you didn't have much trouble!

Good luck with the rest!

Petros.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Petros thanks yes that is what it takes is a good thump with a rubber mallet on the top of the socket compressing the valve spring upper cap and out they come.Once you've done one it all seems so simple !
1986-GTV6