junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Tach Error - Real RPM With GoTech?

Post by junglejustice »

So, with my stock ECU the rev limiter would kick-in around an indicatd 5400 rpm... (I heard that this wasn't a real number though, but it's actually higher?)

Some guys tell me that a Verde's limiter kicks in at more like 6200 rpm. Could the error be that huge? Is there a fix?

With the GoTech now last night, the engine would pull to an indicated 6K and still not cut off! We know what is safe with these engines, but how do I know what is safe on my stock tach?

It still feels like it had more by the seat of the pants tach...
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Can't you just use another tach or a multimeter with a tach function? Usually ignition timing lights have a tach function...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

JJ,

5400 rev limiter - sounds like your tachometer reads too low.

I'm trying to recall, so this is with some uncertainty, but at 85 MPH I think the verde tachometer reads something like 3500 RPM (in 5th). I had my tachometer reconditioned some 5 years ago, and it has worked flawlessly since. The tachometer is notoriously for failing with time and show too low. Anyway, the above point should give you a reference (with stock rear-end).

I'll double check the point above next time I take it out.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

JJ, You can adjust your own tach, if you take the dash pod off and take it apart, get the tach out, you will see a screw on the top back side of the tach, drill a hole big enough for a small screw driver to fit through directly above the screw in the dash casing (you can always put a little tape over the hole in the future) and then put the tach back in and plug everthing in, use a multi meter with a tach function and adjust yours to match, I think it should read 500 rpm with the engine off, this is it's starting position...
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

hhmm... Thanks guys

The 3.7 gets all custom guages, but I wanted to keep the street Verde pretty well stock. So these suggestions may work well...
ar4me
Verde
Verde

verde tach-spedo reading

Post by ar4me »

JJ,

Checked tonight: At 160 MPH the tach reads 6800 RPM :shock:
At your kind of speeds it would be 80 MPH at 3400 RPM. So my memory was off :roll:

Anyway, you can use the above point to check your verde gauges. It is with stock tranny and 205/45-16 tires. Though, you wouldn't know if it is the tach or spedo that is off, if you don't have the above reading, I suppose.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Well, all bets are off, I mean, what's stock now any way, with tire and wheel changes and then wear on those tires etc etc and like you said - the tach is bound to be off too... See below:

- Should have done a 160mph run on the dyno yesterday just to see while I was there, :roll: but we only had time to map up to like 5200-5300 rpm…

Any way, I just ended up driving with the laptop plugged in a bit today and found this:

At an indicated 1000 rpm idle, the computer jumps around 880-895-905 rpm....

At an indicated 5800 rpm in 1st second and 3rd I a running against the GoTech rev-limiter set to 7225 rpm, but the computer is only showing about 7050 at that point (couldn't tell with traffic and crap and gears and watching the damn computer and listening for the rods and watching the tack and watching my temp gauge and watching the damn laptop....)
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

John,Have found Gotech to be off at the higher rpm`s by some 200 odd rpm...

The other thing to look at is signal strenght to the tach. At higher revs it might be falling off and the tach starts slowing down and not reading correctly-maybe a pull up resistor on the signal line??
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
4agedub
Silver
Silver

Post by 4agedub »

The tach output from the ecu is directly related to the input signal. To check the accuracy of the tach output you can use a ossiloscope to check the input signal and the tach signal. I'm sure that you will find these signals to be the same.