fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Gotech Standard and 60-2 wheel possible?

Post by fedezyl »

Hey all, I am about to finish my V6 conversion on a 1981 Giulietta, the thing is, the engine I bought, a 164 V6 comes with a 60-2 wheel and sensor, and I intend to keep the stock distributor, now, I bought the Gotech Standard from JJ and now i'm in doubt if i'll be able to use it with the 60-2 wheel, i've been going through the manual but since my knowledge is limited on this i'm asking you guys for a little help...
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
4agedub
Silver
Silver

Post by 4agedub »

Hi
The Gotech MFI ecu is not 60 -2 compattable. If you want to use the Gotech MFI ecu on that specific engine you will have to use the distributor pickups as an rpm reference.

The Gotech MFI Pro ecu is 60 -2 and 36 -1 compattable
Gotech fuel injection systems
South Africa
Tel: +2711 3978197
Email: louis@gotech.co.za
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Great, thanks for the answer! I actually bought the gotech standard thinking I didn't have a 60-2 wheel, now reading more carefully Euro 12v V6's came with that 60-2 wheel later, and that's where my V6 is sourced from, in order to make it work with the 60-2 wheel i'd have to change the whole ECU and harness for a Gotech Pro unit I guess...
In any case I can still run the car on Gotech standard using the distributor signal, or am I screwed?
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

If I understand the question correctly; you can run the GoTech standard off of a stock distributor with a Hall sender in it (little blue plastic plug on the side of the dizzy as with later GTV6 and Milano/75 V6 engines...

If you want to convert to coil-packs - I will exchange a working Standard GoTech and harness for a GoTech Pro with Pro harness if you just pay the difference in price...

Email me at john@reginaceleste.com
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Hey John, I just send you an email about it, i've been trying to figure out if I can use it or not, but the best thing and what I want to do is exchange it for a pro, I haven't installed it yet as I still have a month at least until the car is ready for the engine to be put on.
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

fedezyl wrote:Hey John, I just send you an email about it, i've been trying to figure out if I can use it or not, but the best thing and what I want to do is exchange it for a pro, I haven't installed it yet as I still have a month at least until the car is ready for the engine to be put on.
I just wanted to bit of extra info on this....

To go to coil packs and Gotech pro running of crank triggering is not as simple as it seems on the 12v engine.

You need the following items:

1.Crank trigger wheel from late motronic Alfa 75 90-92 or an ZS - you can get away with the 164 type, but it will foul you waterpump pulley, and the pulley will need modyfing. Also with the 164 type, you will run into alignment problems with the belts.

2. You will need a new front cover/chest. This is the piece thas attaches to the block behind the crank pulley. This has the mounts drilled and prepared for the crank sensor.

3. You will need a crank sensor and mount (obviously)

4. You will loose the dizzy, and this will need a fabricated plug to cover the hole it leaves, on top of the oil pump shaft.

5. The V6 engines are externally balanced. This is achieved with counter-weights on the flywheel and on the inner part of the front pulley. Changing the front pulley will change the balancing factor. This may not worry some people, but If it were me, I'd have the crank/fly/front pulley re-balanced. Insurance for the big end and main bearing!

6. No real gain. Yes you do get rid of the dizzy, but it only distributes the spark (with gotech std) and has negligible wear, even after 30 years! The coil packs do give you a bigger spark, but the only gain with this is on a turbo motor running very high boost.

7. The cost of the above parts, plus a 6cyl coil pack, gain you zero horsepower. I'd spend the money on pro dyno tuning with MFI std.

Of course, all of the above is easier if the engine is out of the car!!!! And if you really want to do it GO FOR IT :D

Gotech is great for these engines :wink:
Andrew b
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Hey Andrew!! thanks for the answer, here's the thing the V6 engine I have came out of a 164, so it already has the crank wheel and sensor, and the block mounting etc, it has everything actually, i'm even going to use the 164 dizzy, considering there's only one GTV6 in my country, parts available for a conversion are non existant, so my plans is to mount the V6 as it came out pretty much from the 164, new oil pan to make it fit in the Giulietta engine bay, so basically the engine is a stock 1990 V6 from a 164, the problem is that the dizzy that came with it uses a crank angle sensor, wich I can't use with the gotech standard, so I need to exchange it for a pro unit. As far as balancing goes, when my flywheel is ready i'm taking out the front pulley and crankshaft and getting everything dinamically balanced, i'm planning a little trip to france next week so I may bring some parts I need then too...