Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Kevin,

Your garage is littered with 24V 116s, why not try a built up 2.5? Something like 3.0 valves, 11:1 compression and some cams and Gotech?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Z, you are right. There are two categories I can enter my car into, one where its alfas only and the other is historics. I made an error reading the rules for historics which states you have to have the same amount of valves the engine came out with so I suddenly regret preparing this 24v motor. If I had to run a 12v 3.0l I would have to run carbs as the rule states you cannot chainge the fuel system which came with the cars.(remember we did not get any 75's only 2.5 injection and 3.0l carb). I hate working on the carbs as it is a five our job(two hour for Barry) for me to get them right so as you can tell I am taking the easy way out at the moment and skip the historic category. I am currently working on a way to hide injectors in the carbs using the throttle bodies of the carbs. if I can get this right then i will definately prepare a 3.0l 12v for next season.(after i have read Jims book which I wish he would get out soon)
Z, you have no idea how happy i am with the set up and balance of the car at the moment. I am sure this will all chainge when i start fiddling again.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Kev,

Actually I meant a 2.5L engine using a modified Jetronic but using 3.0L valves. etc.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Z, gotcha but I still looking for more power to catch the 105 GTA twinspark replicas and that would require major work , money and expertise to get the 2.5 motor into that league to match the same power to weight ratio of the 105 GTA's. Im just taking the easier option at the moment like dropping in a bigger motor with wild cams.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Kevin,You of all people should know that there were a number of fuel injected 30l cars sold here..You would also know how many.
Surely this will allow you entry with EFI?
I know the old farts in charge of the series will give you uphill,but if its within the rules,they have no reason not to accept your car.
Its like the TS engine,same amount of valves and cams..thats all it says.Now that the TS engines are so successful,they want to ban them!
Typical racing...rules for some and not for others..

Im thinking here..you remember Jules `s car you drove in Ozz?How about one of them engines?You stand a chance?
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Kevin,You of all people should know that there were a number of fuel injected 30l cars sold here..You would also know how many.
Surely this will allow you entry with EFI?
I know the old farts in charge of the series will give you uphill,but if its within the rules,they have no reason not to accept your car.
Its like the TS engine,same amount of valves and cams..thats all it says.Now that the TS engines are so successful,they want to ban them!
Typical racing...rules for some and not for others..

Im thinking here..you remember Jules `s car you drove in Ozz?How about one of them engines?You stand a chance?
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Kevin remember when I popped in to see you and your dad with my then airflow meter problem a few years back ? That was on my 3 litre Sampie Bosman built motor. :D They still kept the 2.5 badging on the back as they used to put a sticker over the 2.5 to indicate it was a 3 litre.Mine had long since fallen off... :twisted:

My first ever drive in a GTV6 3 litre was a fuel injected one the owner bought new from Alfa SA at Kyalamy many moons ago.

So Barry's right go tell those blokes in the historic register to catch a wake up re Alfa's history in SA.... :lol:
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Barry,you are right as I even had one of the three that wer made in injection but its is the homolgation rules i am checking as only 212 were made. I am checking with the historics(hysterics) organisation at the moment. Next issue is if it is allowed I might be bound by the L get system which I will gut anyway and put something else inside.
I heard an interesting story about one of the race 3.0L in 1983 which they tried the L jet on a extremely modified motor, they had to tow start the car and had to keep the revs above 2000rpm to stop it cutting out. Obviously this was not successfull.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I have finally got a LS box from a 75(Europe). I have noticed the cv 'hubs' are 8mm bolt diameter for the cv bolts. I thought all of these boxes would be 10mm like the GTV6. Once again as I have only seen one 75 in my life(one in S.A) is this on just early models or 2.0l's. Can any one shed light on this. Much appreciated.
Cheers Kevin
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin

I am anticipating that you are wanting to connect 10mm CV's to the 8mm output shaft flanges. If that is so, all you need to do is change the output shafts in the diff to 10mm units or bore and tap the existing ones to size.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
AlfaZD1
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaZD1 »

2 Kevin / and MD
LS box with 8mm bolts is from 75/2.0TS only. all others LS`s have 10mm
you can change output shafts, but isn`t possible bore and tap these from 8mm to 10mm,
because CV`s with 10mm bolts are bigger diameter too
regards from Arman, Zadar, Croatia

P.S. this is first post... I must put something in "Introduce yourself" gallery :oops:
Alfas in heart, Alfas in garage, with Alfa on the roads
http://www.forums.cjb.net/alfa75.html
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thanks for feedback. I was just about to go tap them with out comparing them.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

If theyre anything like the difference between the 20l and GTV6 ones here,the thickness of the input shaft varies as well..the v6 (here) was thicker than the 20l and they were not retrofitable...
I have no experience with 75 boxes as we never got them here..
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

the input shaft is also different as Barry says.
easiest option is to swap the driveshafts together with the piece at the wheelside. you can use gtv 4cyl. stuff for this. you also can't use the brakediscs off a GTV6.

the driveshafts on a 75 TS are not so good as the ones used on the Tb/v6. this is due to their exposure to heat from the brakes and gearbox, on the Tb/v6 there is a sort of flange between the disc and the shaft. You should use a special grease which can withstand the heat.
Drive it like you stole it...
AlfaZD1
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaZD1 »

only heat from exhaust can cause problems, on rear right brake caliper only, because is too close, but never on CV joints
Alfas in heart, Alfas in garage, with Alfa on the roads
http://www.forums.cjb.net/alfa75.html