Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Car vs Car or Driver vs Driver ?

Post by MerrilGordon »

I was a corner worker this past Sunday at Pacific Raceway near Seattle Washington. Eighty cars were in attendance for the track day (not a race), approximately ten Alfas plus assorted other sports and sporting cars. Our two Washington resident former South African web buddies Michael Harris and John VanRensberg where there with adrenalin on high and ready to have a fun day. These two circulated in the intermediate group but usually at some distance from each other. During lunch I suggested Michael grid up behind JJ and see how it would go, maybe getting by if he was notably faster. Sure enough, part way through the session Michael got around JJ and spread the distance as time went on. I talked to John later and he said he didn’t have enough grip. Isn’t that what the F1 boys are always complaining about? Just kidding John. Note this wasn’t John’s monster Milano but his daily driver, although a well turned out car. As you know, Michael’s car isn’t stock either. So which car was faster or which driver was faster?

Chime in you two and tell us what happened out there !

Off topic, but hey it’s my post ! . . . We superior types can get pretty nauseous looking at all the “bling” out there, and track days cut out the BS on a right now basis. I did see something that made a great “statement” without resorting to 22” chrome wheels with spinners. It was a nice Miata (turbo, suspension, other mechanical goods) driven by an experienced driver (he was fast). He came in and left pulling a short trailer behind his Miata that had a box for tools and a jack plus posts for two stacks of race tires. I’m sure you guys have seen that at various track venues as well. To me, this setup completely trumps all the overdone sound systems, imbedded TVs, giant brake rotors, and slammed suspensions with coffee can exhaust tips that are out there. Maybe I like it because it’s “all business” and has nothing to do with a hollow image.

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The driver is the primary factor. It's not unheard of for a well set up Miata or Neon with a great driver to beat a Viper with a relatively poor driver.

Of course I am quite sure Michael's car was faster because it has my vacuum lines.