Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Define "seriously worked over".

I use the old 2.0 parts. The drive shafts weigh 12.8 kg instead of V6 parts with 17.0 kg. Nothing broke yet.
I even have the small front bearings which now needs replacement (after about 15 years). They last much longer than the rear bearings which are the same in all models.

BTW, I just checked the data logger from yesterday's race. 1.284 g left hand turns and 1.299 right handers. This on normal street tires (no semi slick).
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

What's the sample rate?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Micke wrote:Define "seriously worked over".

I use the old 2.0 parts. The drive shafts weigh 12.8 kg instead of V6 parts with 17.0 kg. Nothing broke yet.
I even have the small front bearings which now needs replacement (after about 15 years). They last much longer than the rear bearings which are the same in all models.

BTW, I just checked the data logger from yesterday's race. 1.284 g left hand turns and 1.299 right handers. This on normal street tires (no semi slick).
Impressive Micke..that wants to be done...!
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

yes i agree that is seriously impressive micke. what is your data under braking then just for my curiosity? and what road tyres are you running? basically even if you were running standard-ish brakes your braking g forces should also be as impressive even with the use of road tyres or am i wrong in assuming this.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

sorry correction..by simply being able to pull those sort of g forces around corners on standard road tyres shows your existing setup is on the mark in regards to spring rates and the like etc etc. not to discount that they must be some good bloody road tyres which as we all know tyres are the limiting factor to a cars brakes no matter how big or powerful the brake system may be. if the wheel locks up then you have reached the limitations of the tyre basically, which leads me back to my quaestion of the amount of braking gs u pulled which will in turn give me a rough sort of indication to how good ur tyres r. sorry if a little off topic just in the midst of searching for some good road tyres atm so what a chance.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

patzo_3l wrote:...not to discount that they must be some good bloody road tyres which as we all know tyres are the limiting factor to a cars brakes no matter how big or powerful the brake system may be. if the wheel locks up then you have reached the limitations of the tyre basically...
Or you have bad shocks or too much camber or bind in the suspension and so on. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

I checked the sampling rate. 100 Hz.
While looking I found the max value is over 1.3 g. So, there's some filtering which lowered the max value.
The lateral acceleration was above 1.25 g for 0.6 s or about 15 m.

Braking figures were not that impressive. I found the sensor was slightly tilted and the deceleration even corrected is just 1.05 g. 2 reasons for this. Brakes were slightly front biased (changed from last time I drove the car due to mods. This I corrected during the race) and BAD driving. Next time I'll brake better. My only excuse is that I didn't drive the car since 2001.

Tires are Hankook RS-2 in 225/50R16. They will improve as they still had 100% tread depth.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Micke,

17 kg vs. 12.8kg for the driveshaft? Wow, 5Kg spinning at 6K rpm. Sounds like a good place to get better acceleration using stock parts.

Also the from what I've read RS-2 is a very good street tire. Possibly the best for the money, and still up there with the best street tires. Good for practice sessions prior to the end of the day's qualifying and actual race.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Zamani,

Micke wrote:
Barryman: When you put the DeDions on the scale they might have included the driveshafts?
I think he is talking about the half-shafts. In that case, not necessarily spinning at engine RPM, though still 5 kg less spinning.

My US milano V6 driveshaft is 27 lbs - just weighed it.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Obviously I call drive shafts what you call half shafts and prop shaft your drive shafts.
Blimey if I know the right words.
Ai dunt ivin nou inglis.

My "2-piece round dingy" between engine and gearbox weighs 10 kg.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

From the context it was clear.

10 kg, that is about 5 lbs less than my milano v6 prop/drive shaft ;-) Do you have the shorter one, or did you do something custom?

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

As the GTV is shorter I suppose the "ding" must be shorter as well not to have to make a turn in between.
The piece is original GTV 2.0
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

OK now whats a "ding" hehe. Just kidding hehe.

I misread the prop shaft thing.

But anyway, I have a spare clutch assembly and I'm gonna send it out to have it lightened and balance.
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

mats wrote: Or you have bad shocks or too much camber or bind in the suspension and so on

yes mats you are also correct but for the simple reason i didnt wana sit here and make a list of possible causes that i couldve filled a page up with lol i didnt bother moentioning. so micke from what i have read then are you saying the sensor was not mounted incorrectly then and the figures were not 100 percent accutrate. doesnt matter whatever it is now but i would be curios if just again for my own purposes have a copy of ur data log or stats if u have them lol i love fiddling with this stuff so indulge me pls

cheers
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

I have a couple of clutch assemblies I can weigh, one is standard, the other is a custom lightweight special
Attachments
Flywheel with cover
Flywheel with cover
KIF_0853.JPG (203.77 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
Lightened flywheel
Lightened flywheel
KIF_0851.JPG (252.28 KiB) Viewed 9275 times
Standard flywheel
Standard flywheel
KIF_0848.JPG (220.65 KiB) Viewed 9274 times