Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
karmat
Silver
Silver

Fasteners?

Post by karmat »

Does anyone know a place online where you can easily order bolts of certain strengths and measurements? I'm having a hard time finding the stuff locally and no website I've seen so far will let me do this for cadmium plated stuff... Here's an example:

Metric 10.9 strength 12mm hex head bolts 40mm in length with a 32mm shoulder, cadmium plated.

Any links appreciated!

Thanks

Karl
karmat
Silver
Silver

Post by karmat »

No one? Where do you guys who build race stuff get your fasteners?
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

karmat wrote:No one? Where do you guys who build race stuff get your fasteners?
Change for a metric country...

you are living where ?
2 stroke addict
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Everywhere? In the nearest hardware store?
The problem is that when you live in a "Metric country" you don't have to buy stuff online so you don't know who sells the stuff on the net.

Where exactly are you going to use this bolt?

Another problem is that "cadmium plated" which I guess is the yellow look is going to be very difficult to find soon as it's being banned. Cromium-6 is extremely bad from a health perspective (think Erin Brocovich) and it is changed to Chromium-3 instead which is blueish in color.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

hahaha.... :lol:

Just a thing before all.
imho you will probably never find 10.9 hex head screw that are plated in any material in common of cases.
cadmnium plated is very common for grade 8 or 6 and 5, but more it sounds very uncommon.
an another exemple, finding grade 12 screw with hex head should be impossible because they are always in hollowhex head for this grade.

blabla...

i was being sacarstic...but damit, i just take a look and i have these screws..

i got 10 new screws 10.9 grade 40 mm length with a pitch/thread of 1.25
(i buy them for a fitting with a flywheel, but i go for hollowhead beacause of not enough space in a newdesign alloy flywheel)
they are not plated. but with a bit of wd 40 on them they never rust...i use lot of same in brake parts..ect...

eventually if you dont find them i can give it you for a 1$/€ symbolic, but you had to pay the shipping, i can find the washers...
2 stroke addict
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

Mats wrote:Everywhere? In the nearest hardware store?
The problem is that when you live in a "Metric country" you don't have to buy stuff online so you don't know who sells the stuff on the net.
Mats, in sweden youre running in metric or inches ? metric isnt it ? (just to know)
2 stroke addict
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Only the rainy islands (UK and Eire) are using imperial stuff here in Europe. I guess they will learn in a few hundred years, traditional as they are. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

OOOH, careful mats. I think the Poms have Nukes! hehe
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
karmat
Silver
Silver

Post by karmat »

Yeah... thanks guys. I am in the US and it's pretty darn hard to find anything decent in metric sizes. I don't so much care about whether it's cadmium plated or something else (other than galvanized), but I do want them coated with something to prevent corrosion. I'm making a set of brake adapters from aluminum and need specific size bolts with the correct shoulder length to fit the calipers to the adapters. I can find metric bolts locally but they are not in the right shoulder length and they are usually either galvanized or not strong enough. These are 12mm so the closest thing here is 15/32 inch but that's just a little small for the hole and I don't really want play. Maybe I'm not finding the right place locally, but thought there might be somewhere online to find these things. Seems people don't order them that way.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Karl
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

huh, why not galvanized? You're going to have a hard time finding what you need methinks. :?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

Go see your local Caterpillar dealer. They have a huge range of metric bolts, plated and unplated, in their "dealer similar parts" range.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

karmat

If the only bolts you get are not corrosion protected, dip them in Valvoline Tectyl 506 first and bolt them up wet. It also makes a good anti seize compound in that context.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse