Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

A 'budget' race car is born (slow delivery)

Post by kevin »

There is an Alfa series here in South Africa called the Tropheo series where you can enter any pre 1986 Alfa. There are vert few limitations as long as the cars look the part, ie no aftermaket 17' rims etc. Its a handicap event so it does not matter what you do to the motor or suspension.
I was going to use my 116 3.2 24v GTA in this , but got all paranoid about trashing it so I decided to look for a very cheap complete GTV 2.5.
Two months ago I found an abadoned GTV2.5 parked near my supermarket . After a few enquiries learned the car had been pushed into the parking bay by two women who claimed the gearbox had brocken. Finally after two weeks I got hold of the owner ( Russian table dancer ) , and we aggreed a price of R4500. (no free dances). How she got the car is another story !
The motor sounds good so at this stage thats all thats going to stay standard. Maybe a bigbore 3.7 motor thats luking in the garage might go in there much later but first the car must handle and stop properly for the first part of the process and season as this is supposed to be the "budget race car' with a roadworthy certificate.
Pictures will follow as in the last few weeks a lot of work has been done.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Sorry about some of the spelling. Its just that we have eleven official languages here in S'arth E'frica (South Africa). Hey Baz , great excuse. I also fogot to mention that Baz and I had to wrestle for this car or was it the dancer !
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The first step was to strip the car totally underneath, clean it and give it a coat of paint so you dont have dirt and oil over the assembly of the suspension, gearbox, prop etc. Also gives me a chance to see what needs replacing. Upon doing this I discovered a fair bit of rust in the floor pannels, cills and rear cill. Hence the plan has started to chainge so I figure I must cut all the the rust out. This is starting to become a big job if its gonna be done right.
Budget is creeping but I have managed to borrow two pro's in metal work from a friend for a few days to roll some new panels.
Attachments
Img_2036.jpg
Img_2036.jpg (89.21 KiB) Viewed 19890 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

cut rusty cills
Attachments
Img_2051.jpg
Img_2051.jpg (72.32 KiB) Viewed 19888 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I know this should be under bodywork but as this is race prep it will all go together at this stage.
Attachments
Img_2055.jpg
Img_2055.jpg (95 KiB) Viewed 19885 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Cut out major rust hole in passenger floor and new plate put.
Believe it or not its just from bad maintenance of drain holes in these areas thats caused the rust otherwise the body is perfect. No accident damage anywher.
Attachments
Img_2078.jpg
Img_2078.jpg (123.86 KiB) Viewed 19885 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Finish of back and start flattening.
Attachments
Img_2076.jpg
Img_2076.jpg (83.94 KiB) Viewed 19872 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Drive way is starting to look like hell but im sure a pressure cleaner will do the trick. I will spray all the internals of the doors as they will be exposed. Some will say cut this all out and save weight but im not going there at this stage . Maybe later on in the season but i mustv get car on the road in a months time.
Attachments
Img_2105.jpg
Img_2105.jpg (112.53 KiB) Viewed 19859 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thank goodness Baz popped in. He picked up major spray problems on my final coat . If you dont know he is also an expert in spraypainting. Fast drying hardner, bad technique etc. Any way final coat complete and perfect with assistance.
Got wheels back. Will post later on this.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Gees Kev,I missed out on the car AND the Russian table dancer...
Thanks for handing over the keys to Bella at Kyalami yesterday~it was fun...

I need to get a Giulietta up to go play with you... :twisted:

You owe me a table dance...err,maybe not,it ok... :roll: :wink:
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Baz, Im sure i can get the Russian back for the launch of the car. Anyway we must start a new thread in other and post pics of yesterdays fun at Kyalami. You work the whole year to have fun like yesterday, thrashing the 116GTV( GTA) on an open track, full marshals and only three cars. Funny how it was only us pushing car. More details in other.
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Looks great Kev. Just wondering what grade steel you use on A-pillars. I dug out a heap of rust in my GTV and need to replace some steel.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

I think Kev did some metallurgical analysis and was still not quite sure what to use.He then cut a piece out from the chassis and had it spectographically gas analyzed..It came up with an excotic material that he would have to import from Russia so he just used mild steel plate... :D :D :D :D :D :wink:
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Kevin,

Where is your respirator??? I get sick just by using spray cans!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Your right Z, lungs not so good. Normally do wear one. Thought the internals would be a quick job.
The cills are mild steel.
Decided to widen the standard rims by an inch to fit our semi slicks. Nothing new here. Dawie was doing this 25yrs ago with no failures.
Used old 164 rims for the donor inch. This was actually cheepest option(R2500 to cut, weld and test) and I prefer the handling with 15' rims with Rons kit.
Attachments
Img_2143.jpg
Img_2143.jpg (50.63 KiB) Viewed 19705 times