Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: A 'budget' race car is born (slow delivery)

Post by MD »

Yeah I heard Kevin gets twice the mileage out of his rear tyres- he only uses the one. GO KEVIN !! :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Mats well spotted. I was flat spotting the left rear and thought this could work !
MD most of Serf Efricans have a dry sense of humour so it is could to see it. Just out of interest if you brake the crown and pinon at the track and you have no trailer you have to loosen the driveshaft bolts on the wheel side(both wheels). No other way to tow car home.
Ahutchy
Silver
Silver

Post by Ahutchy »

Heres the pic of the Alfa Sports Sedan. 6 litre chev power mid mounted (in the front).

Ahutchy
Silver
Silver

Post by Ahutchy »

Yeah well that was impressive posting!! Meant to be in another thread. Sorry...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Just had another race this weekend at Kyalami which turned out really well. They combined our Alfa only series with another series which comprised of Porsches, Morgans, lotus's , Marcos's. This proved to be huge fun with a forty car field. I qualfied second fastest and had to start at the back with an ex 147 GTA race car behind me. After eight lap race managed to overtake 33 cars and still hold off 147. It was like playing TV games at high speed trying to hold off the chap behind you and still overtake groups of five to six cars at a time who are also racing each. It was seriously crazy stuff as we normally run half that field.
The syntheric grass which goes just next to kerbing(New FIA rule) is so slippery that if you put a wheel on you are going to go farming. kyalami has just had it installed on all there corners since the SBK series they just had here. I did manage to put a wheel on it and went farming at 130kmh luckily did not lose to much time and came back on.
Whats really nice at the moment there seems to an interest in racing these GTV 3.0l at the moment and another two cars are being prepared at the moment.
On seperate note I removed a broken alternator before the race. I have had one break like this before any one have any ideas.
Attachments
IMG_3103.JPG
IMG_3103.JPG (52.23 KiB) Viewed 6529 times
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

heard rumour that the FIA grass is 'treated' with oil (or similar) to discourage drivers from going over curbs!!!!
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Not rumour, its sprayed with a silicone !
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Alfa where it should be - ahead of the BM's (no they are not going to lap me - just passed them)
Attachments
bmwday.jpg
bmwday.jpg (132.77 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin
Can't say for sure (who can?) but as a precaution I would be fitting a much bigger pulley and slow down the speed of the alternator by half.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Maybe you need to beef up the outer alternator bracket a bit. Looks like the thing is vibrating fore and aft and then giving up over time.

It isn't hitting the chassis when you step on the gas hard is it?

hth,
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

MD, I have used same size pulley as on the modern alfas - is this incorrect assumption. The marks on the cooling fan and the long screw indicate one of the long bolts came loose at some stage beforei got it and then it was tightened . Maybe shockwaves from the constant hitting led to some hairline stress fractures which have only come out now. Funny thing is i drove 30km like this with the alternator still charging perfectly. I rechecked alignment of all brackets for any unnecessary stresses induced - all perfect.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin,
Classically, rally cars are always fitted up with megawatts of lighting when doing night work and they usually need some serious alternators to power them. The current loads on these things get very high and so internal heat becomes critical. What's this got to do with your set up ? Sweet FA.

You need the opposite. Minimal size alternator just enough to supply voltage and current to match the load while running. Less engine load and less weight. So when you combine all that and include in the set up a larger pulley, the alternator will not run at multiples of engine revs like 15-18,ooo rpm and thereby thrash itself to pieces but instead it will run at less stressed speed and have less likelyhood of throwing cores out the side and bearing failure which ultimately causes the hole guts to fail.

Simply, road car occasional high rpm is ok. Sustained high rpm for racing will cause them to die.

Make sense now? Dont force my hand to get Bazza to come around your place, drink all your beers, shag all your wenches just to bring you a replacement alternator.. you know what he's like :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

MD, youre invited but just stay away from my beer ! Right I have ordered the bigger pulley wheel now that you have explained it so clearly.
OzMidnight
Silver
Silver

Post by OzMidnight »

I had an RS2000 with 600 watts of light and a bigger alternator fitted (not a rally car, I just used to do a lot of country miles). It was constantly breaking the main lead, we guessed through vibration. A mount was redone with some rubber mounting put in place and it never happened again. Perhaps this may also help your issue?
Non Illigitimi Carborundum
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

600 watts of tarburners eh?

Is it any wonder they call you Captain Midnight !!

My bet is that there's probably dozens of Koalas filing fur burn law suits againts you as we speak... :D :D