Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
IAN TT
Silver
Silver

Post by IAN TT »

A few to many for my likeing. A good place to leave. Will the last one out please turn off the lights.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

If air freight did not cost a fortune I could send you over a spoiler and bonnet and most importantly it must be sent with an export license. i will check an see if any one i know is packing a container. You are probably looking at R6500 for both as a purchase price only. yhis is steep so maybe its worth it to make your own. I was talking to the chap who designed and made the origional bonnet(Sampie Bosman) and he says he used clay on the 2.5 bonnet to get the shape anmd styling right. From there they moulded it. If no one has sent you the dims i can still get it for you. Sorry been away for two weeks.
I was at a new Spider launch on Thursday and one of the old Alfa Romeo PR agent was there (Roger McClearly). He told us how ,back in 1982 they went to the factory in Italy to meet with Carlo Chiti. While they were waiting for him they were taken for a tour of the workshop where he saw a 2.5 looking GTV with offroad tyres on it. Chiti explained it was a 3.0l which had just come fourth in the east African Safari.(not sure what section). Chiti also mentioned that the piston sleeve and crank 'kits" could be made available if Alfa South Africa wanted it. With this information Roger Mc Cleerly reported back to Dr. Bianco who was head of Alfa SA and from there they got Sampie Bosman to assemble these engines with other modification at his workshop. Basicaly it was just by luck that these cars were actually made. He also confirmed that 212 cars were recorded in the books but he doubts the figure is correct due to shuffling of cars around the factory.
IAN TT
Silver
Silver

Post by IAN TT »

Hi Kevin. I like your idea. I'm a little concerned that cost may blow out with freight etc, but it would be much easier this way. If you can find a container and throw in a set of door / panel mouldings (SA cars have diferent ones as you no doubt know) into the costings and let me know I would appreciate it. I haven't got any dimensions on bonnet and spoiler to date. I would still love to see a photo of the front spoiler as none of the photos on any forum tend to show it properly. It is fascinating to read your last post about the development of these cars.
I have just found a list a homolagation numbers for the GTV6 and it seems the SA 3.0 was homolagated in Group B with a capacity of 2976cc. I assume this means the bore and stroke are 93mm x 73mm?
If anyone would like to look this up try viewing the following on page 2 http://www.fia-historic-racing.com/file ... eModel.pdf
I thought it raced in Group 1? Does any one have any other papers for it?