Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
IAN TT
Silver
Silver

SOUTH AFRICAN 3.0 REPLICA

Post by IAN TT »

Hi Guys. Being heavily into bitumen and dirt rallying I want to build the fastest GTV6 I can. But regulations for motorsport are pretty tight and the best way to build the fastest GTV6 is to start with the fastest one manufactered, the South African 3.0 litre. I am aware there is an article on this site about them and several pictures, but there are also many discrepencies and not enough detail. One area of this site says 200 were built in 1987 and more informed sources say 212 from 1983 - 1985?
Were they all built with long torsion bars and old style instrument panels? Can someone provide pictures and dimensions on the bonnet, front spoiler and exterior door trim so we can make duplicates?
Is the stroke 72mm when all other 3.0 litres are 72.6mm? Are the heads externally identical to the 2.5 litre heads?
Can someone post homologation papers for this most important model?
How much did it weigh? What is the wheel width? Please inform the world about this brilliant car.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Ian,Just quickly off the top...

Stroke-72.4mm
Heads are 2.5 carb heads..bigger SA30l valves,not as big as euro /us milano valves(same as nord 20l...intake)

Wheels were Compomotive CX 3 piece 8jx 15...

Bonnet and spoiler homegrown-are replicas around...

Number biult~LESS than 200!!!!!Ever see the tech inspector being kept occupied while the forklift and the mecchies move the front car back into the que again??It happened!

All had long torsions..old and new style dash.. :!:
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
IAN TT
Silver
Silver

Post by IAN TT »

Built the first batch and counted them a few times. Good idea. Was that 1983?How many were they supposed to build first up? Did they build them to special order after that until 1985?

8" wide wheels. Thats pretty wide for then, pretty wide for Alfas even now! That will be handy.

I'm glad it was made with the new dash. I did not like the idea of putting an old dash in my car just to make it comply!

Any ideas on how much they weigh?

No one has built a replica in Australia to my knowledge. Mine will have to look like one but the regs I will compete under allow me change things mechanically. I will use a fuel injected 2.5 Ltr motor as the basis and increase the capacity. I must use the same stroke but can vary the bore, valves etc.
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Hi Ian

weight 1138kg
I have one and there is at least one other in Perth. One or two replicas running around also.
Look under introduce yourself section (Kevin) or (Esperan) for detailed pics.
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
IAN TT
Silver
Silver

Post by IAN TT »

Whoa!
Those pics of Kevin & Esperan's cars are magnificient.

1138Kg. That's disappointing. The 2.5s are homologated at 1140kg and the article on this site says they were 6% lighter with a GRP bonnet and no air con or radio. That would make them around 1070kg. JimGreek mentioned 1000 kg.

I desperarely hope someone will post 3.0 homologation papers on this site as I can not get them in Australia for this model.

Great to here there are a few in Australia. Wish you were on the east coast.

Could one of you with one of these great cars run a tape over the bonnet and give me the measurements A to N as per the attached excel file please. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Alfa Bonnet.xls
(16.5 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Ian, the factory records show 212 were built(got them in some file). Whether this was exact no one really knows. They did shift them around the factory to boost the numbers when the chaps from Europe came to homologate them. We had an evening at our club and was relayed this whole story by the man who did this. Pretty funny.
The first one came out out with split dash and no aircon (1983) , light grey seats. Subsequently the longer dash was used and had the black pin stripe seats. Aircon was an optional extra. the six ive had all had aircon. They were three fuel injected ones made as well. Barry, the comps I think are all 7j(on mine) but you could get the 8j dishes for the rear.
The Ian there is an article on the full history of the car of how it was developed and where the ideas came from and also why carbs were used.
Some of these cars also had different specs. I will see if I can post it.
A friend of mine has just emigrated to Brisbane with his GTV 3.0L. The car only arrives end of March so there will be another one there shortly and hopefully if i can finish my three year contract which has been running for five years ,there will be three more there(thats if Im not shot first).
Good condition GTV 3.0l are starting to fetch good prices at the moment.
Cheers
Kevin
alex jupe
Silver
Silver

Post by alex jupe »

Hi All, my good lady has just aquired an early split dash GTV6 3.0 in red. It is one of the non-aircon versions you mentioned Kevin. The interior is not the original however as it has been retrimmed in black leather with red piping. She is a low mileage car which hasn't been mucked about with, never rusted etc. Unusually, probably due to the lack of air con, she has had an electric sliding sunroof fitted. I have been told by Dawie at Glenwood where to look for the bulid number so will let you know when I've found it.

As a point of interest Dawie, who bulit most of them, told me that they made 207.

There are only about 5 of these in the UK, two of which I know are not on the road anymore. The 6th one has recently moved from Ireland to Australia.
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

alex jupe wrote:Hi All, my good lady has just aquired an early split dash GTV6 3.0 in red. It is one of the non-aircon versions you mentioned Kevin. The interior is not the original however as it has been retrimmed in black leather with red piping. She is a low mileage car which hasn't been mucked about with, never rusted etc. Unusually, probably due to the lack of air con, she has had an electric sliding sunroof fitted. I have been told by Dawie at Glenwood where to look for the bulid number so will let you know when I've found it.

As a point of interest Dawie, who bulit most of them, told me that they made 207.

There are only about 5 of these in the UK, two of which I know are not on the road anymore. The 6th one has recently moved from Ireland to Australia.
Excellent, soon they will all be here :D
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Hi Alex Bill's car is awesome love your work!
I just bought number 107 David's 3.3 I think that's the sixth one your talking about.
I heard the build number is stamped into the flywheel.

Hi Kevin your collection is top shelf.
If you hear of any SA GTV6'S cars or parts for sale please let me know.

IAN TT I will throw a tape over the bonnet for you .
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I bought a pair of CB cams from a guy in Ireland (Dublin, me thinks). The deal was brokered by Kevin at EB Spares. At that time the car was at AH Motorsports and they decided to go for bigger cams instead of the stradale 10.4 one, so I took the 10.4 cams. If I am not mistaken it was a 3.3L with carbies (I presume of SA origin) and the owner probably had plans (about 3-4 years ago) to migrate to Australia. I wonder if Alfa GTV6 GP's new car is this one?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Kevin your collection is top shelf.
Some of Kevin's top shelf has a lot of white overspray on it ( along with the driveway, his shoes, jeans, the black cat that came visiting and now looks like a skunk and two blind mice that were obviously lost at the time.. ) 8) 8)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
alex jupe
Silver
Silver

Post by alex jupe »

Hi ALFA GTV6 GP, thanks for the comment re my work. I really enjoyed building Bills car, it became a pet project! Has done a number of track days in'06 including the Nurburgring.

The bulid number is apparently on the front crank pulley by the V for the belt, so Dawie told me. Have not had the time to check yet!

Out of interest how did you come to find out that Dave's car was for sale, as I never saw it advertised and why did he sell it after spending so much money such a short time ago?

Cheers, Alex
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Hi Guys
Zamani your spot on there same guy. Small world or does that tell us we have a very few choices when it comes to Alfa Tuning ?
The one thing Dave told me when I asked him about the cams was that there was a mix up and you got the cams he was going to put in or something like that.

Hi Alex thanks for the info on the build number location.Dave is moving back to Ireland so I was lucky enough to see it advertised and purchase it.

Cheers John
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
IAN TT
Silver
Silver

Post by IAN TT »

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your valuable input. Is SA that dangerous or are you running drugs? :lol: We would much rather see you in Oz with your delightful collection and knowledge. Could you please post a shot of your red 3.0 front spoiler from front on so we can get a good look at what they look like? How much deeper are they than the 2.5 spoilers?
ALFA GTV6 GP John, I appreciate you offering to measure the bonnet. I look forward to you posting the results. I'd love to see one of these in the flesh. If ever you're on a long drive look me up!
I'm still confused about how big these motors actually are. I can't see how Alfa would bother to build different cranks so close in size, 72.4 & 72.6. 2934cc = 93 x 72, Website article. 2951cc =93 x 72.4, Barry. 2959cc = 93 x 72.6, Euro 3.0 models. Which is right?
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Would you consider 50 murders a day dangerous?