Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

The ex Rouse car-Thanks Andrew..mail me sometime .. :!:
Attachments
Rouse-Alfa5.jpg
Rouse-Alfa5.jpg (125.6 KiB) Viewed 5867 times
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

So you're saying the springs might even be stiffer than they need to be from a handling stand point just to keep a car that's so low to the ground from bottoming?

Do you have pictures of your suspension on your race car anywhere Micke?
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

grant wrote:
Micke wrote:Let's invert the question:

Why should it be bigger?
On a track, couldn't you get better lap times by having slightly softer spring rates, and using a sway bar to pick up in the roll stiffness? I know brake dive is negatively effected, but over bumps you might have an upper hand over an overly stiff setup?
That's the american way of seting up suspension according to Carroll Smith. Probably due to the difference in track surface smoothness he writes.

grant wrote:So you're saying the springs might even be stiffer than they need to be from a handling stand point just to keep a car that's so low to the ground from bottoming?
On our cars? No. On high Aero-download cars - very much so. But if will give you better laptimes and gets you in front of your competitors. ;)

The ratio long-lat I've heard is that in the transition from full braking to full cornering the inner rear shock and outer front shock should not change their lenght. The thought being that hte less the car weight/body moves around the better the situation for the tires to develop grip. And tires is everything, right Micke? :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Sheit. My reply is gone.
However, Mats said it very good I think. I actually didn't think of it that way but it does make sense.

I'm sure I posted pics here but can't remember where.
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

So, admittedly, I haven't had time to finish Smith's book, but by trying to remove body movement, is that developing maximum grip b/c the tires stay closer to their static camber/alignment settings, or keeping the suspension geometry the same?

What's that ordeal about roll does not cause more weight transfer?

Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Weight transfer creates roll - not the other way around.
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

So then, if the roll is reduced with stiffer spring rates...what happens to the weight transfer?

Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

It stays the same, it's a function of Center of Gravity Height (CGH) and acceleration only.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
U5tabil
Silver
Silver

Post by U5tabil »

grant wrote:
Micke wrote:Let's invert the question:

Why should it be bigger?
On a track, couldn't you get better lap times by having slightly softer spring rates, and using a sway bar to pick up in the roll stiffness? I know brake dive is negatively effected, but over bumps you might have an upper hand over an overly stiff setup?

And Micke, I'm simply trying to learn.

@U5,

Any reason you dind't go with Ron's 4 position adjustable rear bar?

I was originally going to buy Andy's bar (as I'm in the US) but with my 75, I'd have to buy his sway bar end links as well, and at that point the bar was nearly as much as Ron's, all the way from europe.
Mostly because it wasn't made then. And he sayd that he didn't know when it was going to become ready. But i don't think that there are any big major difference between the one that i got and the one Ron sells.