Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials
(NORM) in Australian Industries - Review of
Current Inventories and Future Generation
Malcolm B. Cooper
A Report prepared for the Radiation Health and Safety Advisory Council
ERS-006 Revision of September 2005

4.3 Sandblasting
Background
Heavy minerals, for example garnet, are commonly used as sand blasting abrasives in operations to
clean metal surfaces in a range of industries, such as metal foundries, motor engine repairers, oil and
gas industry, engineering workshops, and ship dockyards. In the past, other heavy minerals derived
from the mineral sand industry, principally ilmenite and zircon, have also been used for sand
blasting. Slag and other waste from metal smelting also find use for sand blasting in these
industries.
Waste Production
The main waste form produced is the used sand blasting materials, which may be stockpiled on site
awaiting disposal, normally to a landfill.
RadioactivityGarnet used for sandblasting may be contaminated with trace quantities of uranium and thorium and
associated radioactive progeny due to the presence of other heavy minerals such as ilmenite, zircon
and monazite. A previous Australian study [21] found that garnet sandblasting materials contain
radionuclide concentrations in the range 40 to 100 kBq.kg-1 for 232Th and 15 to 30 kBq.kg-1 for 238U.
Ilmenite, containing up to 380 Bq.kg-1 232Th and up to 120 Bq.kg-1 238U, was found to be
widespread use in these industries. Subsequent State regulations have limited the uranium and
thorium content of sand blasting materials to below 200 Bq.kg-1.

So now you see that apples aren't always apples.
Incidentally, I realise that this is not an environmental forum so I am not pursuing this any further other than to raise this aspect of hazzard concerning sandblasting.

BTW Fish piss and poop in the rivers and lakes. It's the usual source for a town water supply. I wouldn't drink it if I was you. It's why Guiness is so popular. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
U5tabil
Silver
Silver

Alfa Romeo GTV U5 edition - Update 29.06.07

Post by U5tabil »

Well now i have promised an update for quite some time now, without anything happening. But now I have given myself time to sit down a write an update. So here it comes. It’s quite big and it have been taking some time do make, and its all about the Roll Cage. Hope you all like it and take the time to read through it, and I would appreciate that you commented in here! Thank you! :)

www.U5.no
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

according to FIA rules, side bars can be removeable....but if are going to race, I think I would have welded them in completely...

Your www. site is really great...nice job!!!
U5tabil
Silver
Silver

Post by U5tabil »

x-rad wrote:according to FIA rules, side bars can be removeable....but if are going to race, I think I would have welded them in completely...

Your www. site is really great...nice job!!!
Thank you! :D I appreciate that people like my site. It feels really good.

Well i know the best there is with a solid weld. But then the cage wouldn't be demountable. And FIA mean that its ok it ok. And they should withstand any impact very well. And since its also just a additional reinforcement its even more ok. And thos mounts will withstand a lot! since its also a cross and not only one bar. so the difference ain't that big :wink:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thats looking really good. Whats your time line on this project? Having the side bars removable is conveniant when you are not on the track. It seems like you having good fun on this project. Keep us updated.
Cheers
U5tabil
Silver
Silver

Post by U5tabil »

kevin wrote:Thats looking really good. Whats your time line on this project? Having the side bars removable is conveniant when you are not on the track. It seems like you having good fun on this project. Keep us updated.
Cheers
It would take the time it needs to be done :lol:
Well i know that the truth, and its a hard one. The car will become really expensive so sometime in the project it will come to an "stand down" because of the money.

And right now in this month and the next month i will use around 5500$ in total.
That includes a order this week on Monday on some stuff for around 3000$

1stk OMP WRC in black and of course carbon
2stk OMP Professional 6, 6 point harnesses in black
2par stolfester OHC833 seat brackets in black metal
4stk FIA approved long eye hooks for harnesses
8stk FIA approved normal eye hooks for harnesses
8stk FIA approved metal plates for harnesses mounting points

And then it will cost to get it sandblasted and ready for painting and then painting....

The wouldn't be run that much on the street it will be to harsh to drive i think. And i am going to approve it as an Rally car, which has its own rules, some good and some bad rules, one rule that is good is that i can make it sound up to 100db 8)

But the removable door bars is also for if i am stupid enough that i want to drive this for longer journeys its a little better to get inn and out of the car at lets say the petrol stations :roll: :lol:

I will try to make a new update soon, either its on mounting in some new stuff or on painting all the suspension parts.

And thank you :)
U5tabil
Silver
Silver

Post by U5tabil »

Well I had plans of getting the racing cheer, harnesses and the mounting points this week, so that I could get the car done and get it over to sandblasting and then to painting. But that doesn’t happen this week, the Italians (OMP people) had gone on holiday so my seat isn’t done yet, what I have heard it takes 10 days to make 1 cheer! :lol: So now it seem like I won’t get my seat before earliest 24 July.

But I have done something else. I have welded every joint in the front so I think the front is stiff enough now. And I have got some more equipment, so that I can continue painting all the parts that I have lying around.
U5tabil
Silver
Silver

Post by U5tabil »

Yes!!! The parts from OMP has finally arrived. The pictures should speech for them self.

EDIT:
Ok here you see what i mean about having problems putting up pictures on some forums. It seems like my gallery are having problems with phpBB forums.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

are you posting pics as attachments under the 'add attachment'?
U5tabil
Silver
Silver

Post by U5tabil »

x-rad wrote:are you posting pics as attachments under the 'add attachment'?
No they are added from my gallery, and it seems like i am right about that some forums doesn't like my gallery. It works perfect under most forums, but not here.

I will attach them this time, but it takes to much time to do this every time on every forum i have my project on. Thats why i have www.U5.no
Attachments
DSCN2094.JPG
DSCN2094.JPG (170.03 KiB) Viewed 8341 times
DSCN2095.JPG
DSCN2095.JPG (146.56 KiB) Viewed 8344 times
DSCN2097.JPG
DSCN2097.JPG (149.48 KiB) Viewed 8343 times
DSCN2098.JPG
DSCN2098.JPG (142.08 KiB) Viewed 8347 times
DSCN2099.JPG
DSCN2099.JPG (157.66 KiB) Viewed 8347 times
U5tabil
Silver
Silver

Post by U5tabil »

Got a nice call today. They where ready to sandblast my car now! And they wanted it tonight! :D So in a big hurry i borrowed a car trailer and got it over to them.

And i am so looking forward to see the car done from the sandblaster. After this. Or tommorow the car will be moved over to the paint shop worker so that we can start painting it! :mrgreen:
Attachments
til_sandblåsing.JPG
til_sandblåsing.JPG (172.8 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Nice frame jig...helps when doing bodywork
U5tabil
Silver
Silver

Post by U5tabil »

x-rad: Yes that rig has helped me making a lot of work so much easier.

The car is now done sandblasting and primed. So i will move the car over to the paint shop workers later today. Oh this looks lovely!
Attachments
07092007(002).jpg
07092007(002).jpg (44.05 KiB) Viewed 8041 times
07092007(003).jpg
07092007(003).jpg (63.98 KiB) Viewed 8040 times
07092007.jpg
07092007.jpg (40.74 KiB) Viewed 8038 times
07092007(001).jpg
07092007(001).jpg (129.4 KiB) Viewed 8041 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

yep..lookin good. i see some roll cage bars and mounts...

might want to consider a 'lower' racing pedal setup while down to sheet metal
U5tabil
Silver
Silver

Post by U5tabil »

x-rad wrote:yep..lookin good. i see some roll cage bars and mounts...

might want to consider a 'lower' racing pedal setup while down to sheet metal
I think i will stick to the standard pedals since they are good as they are :) And i really dont have the money for that right now... It seems like i need to get this car painted so that i can put it on hold for a couple of months because of some situations that i am in right now... Like no job (will probably get one in the beginning of 2008) and i need to find a new place to live which i dont have money for right now... So this project is just to much for me right now...

But i will do what i can do without money. There are plenty to do with what i already got...