Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
fondelli
Silver
Silver

Composite panels GTV6

Post by fondelli »

Folks, I own an old GTV6 that was raced quite sucessfully in the early 80's. I'm getting geared up to resurrect the beast and I have a few questions around composite panels.
I can get anything a want made in GRP or kevlar. I was thinking of going down the road of hood/trunk lid, front wings (fenders) and outer front panels. However I've been told that this will compromise the rigidity of the front of the car. I've been thinking about this, and other Alfetta derivitives have bolt on front fenders (75/Milano) that seem to work fine. The only common mod seems to be a front 'strut' brace. What do you think? The car has a bolt in cage. My aim is to end up up with a car that I can drive on the street and the road. Engine wise I'm going 3 litre and I was planning to go for something like the RS kit suspension wise.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

1) I would weld in the roll cage with the appropriate mounting plates.

2) If you are going full composite body panel, I would extend the roll cage from just below the windshield (where the dash crossbar meets the A-pillar) forward through the inner fender shock mounts and then curve down to meet the frame.

3) we would like to see some pics of you Alfa
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

At least we agree on #3. :D

fondelli: Do you want to do thos because you want to or because you think you can save weight? I'm not too sure about the weight part actually (when it comes to body panels that is welded on like fenders and front) and to get it looking right is very, very labour intensive.

Hood and trunklid are no-brainers and will take a lot of weight off your car. Do that first and then reconsider the panel work. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
fondelli
Silver
Silver

Post by fondelli »

Guys, Photos! I do not want to embarrass myself! My reasoning is that new steel panels are not available at a reasonable cost (if at all) I'm hoping some day Alfettas will be like 105 series in that suppliers will start to manufacture panels.
Whenever I did my other car 17 years ago (I still have it) I was able to buy a complete new front end. At that time nothing was available for Bertones, now the situation is reversed.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

some steel panels are found here:

http://www.alfaparts.net/alfetta.htm

Glass panels found here under 'products':

www.scuderiadelbiscione.com

as for photos...we will consider any condition acceptable
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

fyi: i joined scuderia for their exclusive parts and the shipping of large pieces to the usa is a small nightmare. the parts are great but i dont like being raped by freight shippers.

mike cudahy (i think i am spelling that right) is on this forum and he makes a great, albeit expensive, carbon fiber full body kit.

also you can link to tuo racing and prototype composites through the performatek website. they make a hood for the alfa in cf and i think a hatch.
http://www.prototypecomposites.com/

V