Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Installing a fire extinguisher

Post by Alfettish »

I'm prepping my car for my first entry into a local hillclimbing event.
The regulations state that the car must have a fire extinguisher secured to a metal surface.
What's the best position to mount it? The driver's or passenger's side floor?
Is there anything down there that I need to consider before doing any drilling?
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Mount it somewhere where you can easily reach it while strapped in. You'll be surprised, that quite a few cars have them in somewhat hard to reach places when strapped down with a 5 point harness - you really can't move a whole lot.

If you no longer have the handbrake, I would mount it on the tunnel. Otherwise slightly to the side.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

No it's impossible there. It's still a roadcar so I need it somewhere it won't get in the way. The floor is my only real option. Is there a problem mounting it to the floor.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

The only issues with floor mounting (as long as you ensure you dont drill through a brake or fuel line) are in the passengers footwell you might not be able to reach it particularly easily, and if its in the drivers footwell there is the risk it can come adrift and mess with your pedals...
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

how about the rear footwell? I know i keep a bunch of junk there and i can reach it easily (i am 6' 3" tall tho).

hth,
scott
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

I made up a bracket and mounted to the passengers seat frame at the front. It was out of the way just under the passengers legs and moved with the seat if you had to adjust the seat forward or back.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Make sure you get the FIA approved clamps though, no rubber shit. A 10Kg weight flying around in the cabin will be worse then the extra three seconds it take to unclamp it.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Daniel wrote:I made up a bracket and mounted to the passengers seat frame at the front. It was out of the way just under the passengers legs and moved with the seat if you had to adjust the seat forward or back.
Can you post a few pictures?

Thanks.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Daniel wrote:I made up a bracket and mounted to the passengers seat frame at the front. It was out of the way just under the passengers legs and moved with the seat if you had to adjust the seat forward or back.
Can you post a few pictures?

Thanks.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

If you do mount it to the tunnel with Tec screws(the ones you drill in) watch out for the gear lever if its on the left. Our rules state you have to be able to reach it if your strapped in. Icant reach mine but I thought it would be safer on the pasenger side.
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Might be able to mount to the tunnel but it's not really ideal with the handbrake still there. I can mount it further back, it's only a little one (1kg).

Mats: I have a CAMS (Confederation of Australian Motor Sport) approved extinguisher and bracket with steel clamps.

The only place I can really each it is either on the tunnel (still uncertain) or driver's footwell. Both pose their problems, but the tunnel is probably the safest place.
OzMidnight
Silver
Silver

Post by OzMidnight »

I thought the CAMS rules state that you have to bolt it in, not screw it in? In my last car, mine was bolted in with four 6mm bolts. That was a CAMS-approved stainless steel twin-strap mounting.
Non Illigitimi Carborundum
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

don't think CAM specificly says 'bolt in' but the scruits often ask anyway :?

mine GTV6 has it on the top of the tunnel behind the handbrake and it was a bastard to install there, but can be reached from either the driver or passanger's seat (in case one or the other don't survive the initial impact :shock: :lol: )

my 105 racer had it in the footwell behind the driver's seat - and was installed there in a hurry one night after a scruit said I had to reach it without loosening the belts - now if there is a frigging fire, the belts will come off first, but you can't argue with a woman carrying a clipboard :) So while it didn't go there by choice, I think it is a good out of the way but reachable spot for a racer (ie no passanger)
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre