Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: MD's Racer-The Flying Brick

Post by Mats »

Oh, I got an Autometer Ultralight, triggered with an MSD ignition amplifier so it's dead on. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Moynesey
Silver
Silver

Post by Moynesey »

Just seen this car, and wow that is one nice Alfetta!

Good to see another red and white old skool alfa, put yours and mine together and they could be long lost sisters!!

I like the propshaft mod, its gone on the to do list for the rally car.

Twink conversion is nice, was going to do that myself but managed to get a Jim Evans engine for a great price and it helps with the homologation (which i am running close to the mark with other mods) for european rally events.

Fanstatic car, congrats and ENJOY :D
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

It's been a while....
Here's the Brick hard at it at Lakeside running in 2nd place at the time..
Attachments
Lakeside East Coast Challenge 05-07-2009 a.jpg
Lakeside East Coast Challenge 05-07-2009 a.jpg (240.07 KiB) Viewed 8397 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

amazing - it lives!

are we going to be graced by its presence at the Morgan Park B round in two weeks?
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Yes it does live but it is in intensive care at the panel doctors after the carnage at the track. Expect it will be there just the same.
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

ohhh, good news and bad (but not inthat order of course!) will be good to catch up and see the beast go round again.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Lovely pictures! when are we going to see some vids? i'd like to hear that engine sometime, maybe an onboard vid a la Mats?? :twisted:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Fed.

Funny thing is the least impressive thing about the Brick is the exhaust/induction noise. Nothing about it that would make you say like, ooh wow man. Some of the Alfas that are running on the track have an immediately identifiable note that you just know it's an Alfa about to come around the corner even if you cannot see it. Not the Brick, he just sort of blends in with crowd and gets on with the business.

Haven't yet installed a camera mount inside the car. Thinking of investing in a basic camera that uses a flash drive 'cause all the other drives eventually develop a problem from all the vibrations I am told.

If only I could master my editing suite, I could post a few short vids from the spectator's point of view. One day...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

MD, went through your thread from the beginning to see if there were in pics of front suspension and brake set up - only pics of rear and underside. Car sits very well in those pics hence interested in how many kg's you are running upfront and rear. With regards to exhaust would you still have same power if your silencer box was under gearlever section. I have similiar set up and was concerned about sharp bend of main silencer box to bring exhaust out side before jacking point . Ie do you need a initial section of specific lenght before it goes into box.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin,
The suspension rates on my car are all related to things like its roll centre and weight distribution. Because it is a 4 cylinder, I doubt that it would be that relevant to your car. For example at the last race event at Lakeside, we were consistenly ahead of quad cam 3 litre 116 GTV's and one was even turbo charged. Certainly there are driver skill issues here that will explain some of these differences but not all. That's not because we have so much power and clearly we dont but it is about our package for the entire car and possibly its suitability for that track.

In relation to the exhaust. My system has a tuned primary and tuned secondary exhaust system.
The primaries end at the merge collector and the secondaries end at the resonator. The balance of the system flows into a straight through muffler and out the side. The position of the muffler after the resonator is not critical and can go anywhere as the tuning ends at the outflow of the resonator.

If you dont have a tuned system, then I don't see any loss or gain from positioning the muffler wherever you want to.

..A couple more photos from the event. Note the panel damage to RHS.
Attachments
Queing up at Lakeside 1.jpg
Queing up at Lakeside 1.jpg (215.39 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
Tyipical Cornering Stance from the Brick2.jpg
Tyipical Cornering Stance from the Brick2.jpg (236.58 KiB) Viewed 8124 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Ouch(right door), at least we know you guys are having some seriously heated racing.
Ok I got you there about the 'package' . What size are those tyres anyhow ?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Yeah right front guard,driver's door, rear door and rear wheel arch. The front spoiloer also got a look in. Fortunately its all cosmetic. No chassis damage. It's already had two new doors fitted and the rest also repaired.
Unfortunately a beatiful 105 coupe was totalled and 3or4 other cars had some panel damage as well.
It's a fast and unforgiving track...

My tyres are 205x45x16 carrying 920kg on 7.5" rims.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Thanks for your interest in this car. It was an awesome project to do and I learned a lot. For complex reasons, the car is now owned by someone else. That means this concludes my involvement with it and this topic ends here.

I have a new project underway involving an Alfetta GTV circa 1978 or thererabouts destined for the tracks. I will start a new topic for it at the right time. See you there.

Cheers, MD
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Md, old post this but always searching for ideas on rear brake set up . How did you bleed your rear brakes as I see they are level - ish . Did you take them off . Sorry if these are repeat questions here . The alfetta has more rear room than the gtv above the gearbox which does make life easier .
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Ah, the old Brick topic lives again!

Never took the brakes off to bleed them. Just did the job in situ. No problems. What I did provide for is the pad replacement by making inspection panels above the calipers for better access.

Frankly Kevin, if you want to have the best brake set up, just move the mounts outboard.The whole thing becomes so much easier to service and keeps the heat out of the box.

I know, I know the purists will baulk about the unsprung weight argument and all I can say after driving the Cab around for 12 months is that it is simply academic. The Cab handles just as well as the Brick ever did and they both use the very same brake components.