Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
escon64
Silver
Silver

differntial axle 478

Post by escon64 »

I have an alfa romeo alfeta GTV year 1978 motor 2000cc (same body of GTV6) and maybe you can help me out to find a differential box, my car has a 410 and there are some others with 430 but talking with some friend that I race with, they had tell me that there is one 478 which is faster, if this is true can you tell me where can a buy one like this???? I race my car in El Salvador central america with another 29 cars
thanks for the advice in advance

hector :D
Attachments
alfa.JPG
alfa.JPG (47.16 KiB) Viewed 5709 times
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

if there is a 478 unit..its not going to be "faster" ..it will be quicker out of the corners but a HUGE drop in top speed..
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I have a 4.56:1 in my Alfetta GTV, I very rarely use fifth so I understand what you mean.
It's more a matter och matching shifting points though, the gain in acceleration is minimal.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Early 1600 Giuliettas and 1600 Alfettas had the short ratio box..Extremely scarce here in S.A. through..

Welcome to gtv6 Hector..! 8)
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

I have a spare box in el salvador. It's from a milano though. let me know if I can help.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

From what I heard only Giulietta 1300 had the 4.78:1 though.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
escon64
Silver
Silver

Post by escon64 »

twinspark6 wrote:I have a spare box in el salvador. It's from a milano though. let me know if I can help.
yes i will like to, do you know which is the close ratio on this???? please write me at hescobar@paill.com let make a deal
escon64
Silver
Silver

Post by escon64 »

Mats wrote:I have a 4.56:1 in my Alfetta GTV, I very rarely use fifth so I understand what you mean.
It's more a matter och matching shifting points though, the gain in acceleration is minimal.
where do you got it ??????....you know, where i am racing there are so many turns ....... one more thing do you know if there are LSD for this cars and if it so where can I get one....i talked to this people from www.international-auto.com i they said that is not possible for this type of car
:cry:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I got it from a local dealer, it had been on the shelf for 10+ years and no one had asked for one until I did it as a joke one day... :)
Junk yards is my best bet.

4.3:1 is available on the 75 2.0 carb. My 4.56:1 is from a 75 1.6.
You can fit an LSD from a 75 box butyou need to do a some work with it, I started a how-to thread a while back with pics but I never seemed to get around to finish it. May be about f-ing time now...
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

Mats has right.

The 4.78 is belongs to the Giulietta 1.3 only. The 1.6 versions had the 4.56. The 4.3 came in the early American GTV6s and in some of the 1.8 2.0 fitted versions in any car-body.

There are no close ratio gearbox at all. The gears are in two different ratio set. The old one start with the 3.5 at first 1.96 at second 1.26 at third 1.03 at fourth and 0.78 at fifth. The later models from 85 came with the longer gears starting the first with 2.875 then the second 1.73, the third 1.23 the fourth 0.96 and the fifth the same 0.78.
This later version can be called close ratio but in effect it doesn"t. A real close ratio box contains a long first and the fifth just outperform a little the topspeed You can really use or can reach on the track and then divide the interval with an exponentially dropping pattern.
But in this case fopr racing You'd better to build a race-oriented straight cut gearbox which You can shift quicker and there's less problem with the sinchros than in our original units.

Also Mats has right You'd better to ask in the junk yards, but hurry, because they sell those heavy boxes to metalworks since noone ask for them for years. I know here in Hungary an Alfa service who is an Alfa junk yard as well. A few years ago they sold 30 or more complete and a huge mountain of disassambled trannys to smelt them, so they left almost nothing.

Regarding to fit the LSD coming from a 75 gearbox. You have to create a spacer which size is about 2.5-3 mm.
You can measure the height if You measure the original diff from the box You want to use with the pillows fitted and then measure the LSD also the pillows fitted. Then You will find where You have to position the platewheel (i don't know is that the correct term to the big gear in the diff). You also need the longer screws to fasten it.