Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Re: mythbusters special - 116 V6 and oversteer

Post by GTV27 »

Been thinking on the points raised so far, and think there is probably a range of factors contributing to the difference

(ie to recap: on race tyres, mostly understeer with extend depending on driver stupidity; on road tyres, anything from wild oversteer to gross understeer, but with a reasonable window of balance in the middle).

I believe the race tyres are most accurately reflecting the underlying handling balance ( :cry: ). It has 'too much' traction at the rear and will readily over load the front tyres. Also, my temptation is to always try to carry more speed to the apex that it really wants to, which leaves me dealing with mid and exit understeer and a bad case of frustration (...yes, and I KNOW whose fault that is).

As per Mat's heat theory - My very scientific heat measurement technique (placing one's hand on the tread after a run - hey this is low-bucks-racing here!) tends to support this with front tyre pressures notiably higher. But, incomparions with the road tyres, I can't brake as late (less heat to the front) can't turn in as hard (less heat to the front) but am still using all the power at about the same point on exit (no real difference to the back) with the minor exception that if I get a bit greedy on the throttle, the tail will come round (which it won't 'generally' do on race tyres - short of giving it a scando), hence the fun photos.

The upside of this is that it is devastatingly fast on a cross-country run (would make a good tarmac rally set up).

Partly this result could be due to race tyres being almost slick (no discernable tread squirm slip angle with almost all the 205 section in contact with the road) whereas the road tyres are still quite heavily treaded (and by rough calc, only about 60% of the 205 section hits the ground at any one time).

Now - in terms of what to do about it...I should either tune it for road or race tyres, but it is a dual purpose road/race car (although, being brutually honest, the road part is mostly about driving to and from the racetrack - but I will use it to take the dogs to the park this morning, mainly to justify my compromises :roll: :lol: )....
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre