Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kterkkila
Gold
Gold

Re: Limits of 24V engine?

Post by kterkkila »

That would be ultimate test, but the cavitation problem could been found just by turning pump fast enough and see if it keeps moving oil smooth or not.
Kimmo / alfatune.fi
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

We have had pretty reliable life out of a 24v 3.0 with a 2.5 crank and turbo charged which revved th 8500 with standard sump (GTV). Car did spend a lot of time up there.
Check the adjustable bearing on top. makes life easier. Lock bottom one in position.
Attachments
frontpulleybearing.jpg
frontpulleybearing.jpg (80.05 KiB) Viewed 6415 times
kterkkila
Gold
Gold

Post by kterkkila »

If that also got standard oil suction screen, then the pump should be really good at start.
Kimmo / alfatune.fi
kterkkila
Gold
Gold

Post by kterkkila »

Rods came finally :)

Kimmo / alfatune.fi
storm_rider_
Silver
Silver

Thread revival :)

Post by storm_rider_ »

There are guys here in NZ that use the 24valve 3ltr engines in hydroplanes because they are lightest and most power can be had from them. They spin up to 9000 rpm and above. They altered the cam belt setup but still have issues mainly from shock loading when the boat gets airbourne, lol I havent got any pics but next time down taupo i'll ask the guy that did alot of the work on it and see what else was done and if he has any pics.
What the guy did tell me is the water pump is gone completely and a custom bracket is made up where the pump used to be and a sprocket / tensioner is mounted on it so you get alot more wrap on the cams. Apparently works quite well. What i didnt ask is whether it runs an electric pump or whether it uses water from the jet unit to cool it somehow. Im thinking of trying an electric pump to and seeing how easy it will be to make up one of those plates. Anything that helps reliability has to be a good thing.

Hope your winning with your build and its doing what you want to achieve kterkkila :)
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

kevin wrote:Check the adjustable bearing on top. makes life easier. Lock bottom one in position.
I assume you're using cam locking tools when you set the belt tension with that Kevin? WHat's the source of the idler bearing?

I dare say the better belt wrap on the right hand exhaust cam that the later 24valve motors have makes a bit of a difference...
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

they look heavenly...

what do you expect them to do in revs?
storm_rider_
Silver
Silver

Here are those boat engine pics with modded belt

Post by storm_rider_ »

Link Electronic Fuel Injection, Powered by Alfa Romeo 3 Litre V6 24 Valve, Producing 290 hp 8000 rpm.
Fuel Shell Avgas average race lasts 5 minutes- uses approx. 25 Litres.
DeWald Props - direct drive, Giving boat speeds in excess of 200 kph

Pretty awesome looking :)
Attachments
little cracker ar 3lit v6.jpg
little cracker ar 3lit v6.jpg (82.74 KiB) Viewed 5832 times
lcengine.jpg
lcengine.jpg (65.39 KiB) Viewed 5832 times
kterkkila
Gold
Gold

Post by kterkkila »

My project have been on hold for a while. Have had too much to do with other cars + other bad explanations for not doing anything.. I hope to get it activated early on next year, but we'll see.

Nice pics from Alfa engine in hydroplane. Do you have any information what have been done to bottom end? Does it make over 9 krpm? with stock oiling system?
Kimmo / alfatune.fi
storm_rider_
Silver
Silver

Post by storm_rider_ »

I was talking to the guy that had a bit to do with it the other day. He was telling me the engine builder is a guy in otorohonga here in the waikato so i'll try and get a hold of him.

The heads were ported and polished, modded cams, Still used factory valves, They had solid lifters for it but were never used. Unsure on the oiling side of it but id guess its dry sumped. It did rev to over 9000rpm. I'll see what else i can find. Im looking at doing the same cambelt mod and with any luck the guy in otorohonga is the one that made up the plate with the idler on it.
Apparently there is quite a bit of video out there on the net on it. Boats called the little cracker.