Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Alfetta sedan-the journey begins

Post by kevin »

Frosti, here some pics of a Giulietta thats been built at the same time . It belongs to Domingoes brother Paul. Some good ideas for your roll cage.
Attachments
IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG (132.34 KiB) Viewed 6953 times
IMG_2873.JPG
IMG_2873.JPG (152.15 KiB) Viewed 6952 times
Frost
Silver
Silver

Post by Frost »

Wow Kevin,thanks that helps alot VERY similar to what I had in mind to start with I like the fact that the side cross member bar runs tthrough to the rear shock tower point if that makes sense :wink:
Who built it for him ?

Spent all day working on the house so no progress on the car(frustrating :evil: )

Phoned ED yesterday ,no answer left him a message to call me back so I can start the front suspension.

PS will u bring copies of the scoresheets for the 2 cars I preped for the concourse on wednesday night to meeting please ,promised the guy Id get a copy for him.
Sorry Im asking here but Ill probably forget I f i dont do it now.

While Im at it,is there a way to get the wiper motor assembly out without taking the round crossmember for the pedalbox out as well,trying to save time,tried to get it out but no clearance maybe there is a trick to it :?
Frost
Silver
Silver

Post by Frost »

Apply heat to the material. It bubbles up real quick. Scrape off while plyable and dump into garbage can. It's a breeze

OK So now I feel like an Idiot,I applied heat with a heatgun but not till it bubbled just till it was a little warm and then painstakingly dug the scraper underneath it,gonna try the more aggressive approuch tommorrow :oops: Im use to doing detailing so not use to the aggressive approuch but seems with a racecar thats the only way :twisted:
Frost
Silver
Silver

Post by Frost »

uick one need sizes of GTV6 torsions and ARB guy says he has a set for me but need to make sure he doesnt flog me 2 liter ones, by the way can u tell the difference by a glance or must I take a vernier with(yes I know Im a newbie but honestly I didnt even know torsionbars existed before I got this car,haha u should have seen my face when I stuck my head behind the wheel and started looking for the coilspring :oops: )
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Alfetta are 19-21 mm thick.. GTV6 are 23.6 or so.

I think there are two lengths of the GTV6 bars. The new ones probably used the shorter ones like the 75.

I can also inform that the GTV6 bars are way too soft for track driving without helping springs.
Frost
Silver
Silver

Post by Frost »

Hi Micke
Thanks for the info,kevin also confirmed the sizes earlier today.
OK so they are too soft,I am only going with bilstein
sport shox so no helping springs,so what next,because being here on the south side of the world there arent any aftermarket bars available locally and to import from the guys mentioned on this forum will probably cost as much as Im willing to spend on the entire project :?
Any advice?(except increasing my budget,thats good advice I cant use :lol: :lol: :lol: )

PS Kevin def. gonna take the ARB :wink:
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Advice??

If bigger bars are not available then coil overs is the way to go.
Cheap and good solution.
Frost
Silver
Silver

Post by Frost »

cool will do some research on coilovers 8)
Many guys over here run their 2.0 racecars with the GTV6 bars and street shox,but others have done the coilover thing.
My biggest problem is I have never owned a rearwheel drive car and have never taken a RWD alfa around a track so the only reference I have are my 164 and 155 which have both been aroung a track day event,so cant really say what my driving style will be like or what my comfort level will be like with different setups,I suppose Ill only pay those schoolfees when I get lots of track time.
I can however say that my general driving style on the track is more cautious than balls to the wall kamakazi style ,I like to shrug off speed quite early in the approach to a corner and feed power in smoothly as I feel where the grip starts to go,this is a generalization but I wonder if there are any broad set ups that work for certain driving styles :?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Frosti, options are pretty limited at this stage but as this car will progress like mine did ,start off with the GTV 6 torsions a nd get a few races under your belt. Get your brakes sorted in the meantime. I am sure we twist konrads arm to part with his 28mm torsion bars as he is going coil over next year. Just remember this is how the guys were forced to race in the eighties in there GTV6 in group one. They were not allowed to change anything on suspension except shocks and you can see from that dvd they droves the socks of those cars. At this stage the GTV 6 bars are far better than what you got now.
Frost
Silver
Silver

Post by Frost »

8) Cool,at least I got some good shox and Im sure that ARB will help as well.
Definitely got a bargain with the torsions,more money for the cage :twisted:

PS got some compomotive rims in 15x7 for my car,I know I shouldnt have but got them for a bargain and now my mate in VW challenge will pass on all his used dunlop semis to me for free so it will help the budget while Im still learning 8)
Frost
Silver
Silver

Post by Frost »

FINALLY :D :D :D I got to work on the car today and made some good progress I think.
I cut out the spare wheel well,removed all the sound deadening from the trunk and plugged up all the body holes in the rear half of the car.also finished the rear doors and the bonnet clips are in with the latch removed.
Also put in the rear trunk clips and removed and plugged the trunk lock.
PICS:

Some advice once more please
will a .7mm sheet of aluminium be sufficient to rivet over the spare wheelwell or must I go thicker?
Also can I cut out the indented pieces on the parcell shelf bulkhead without compromisingstructural regidity?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Jack, :D

Your 0.7 sheets will get a bit wobbly but it doesn't matter unless you intend to take the weapon to a beauty pagent. Stay light.

As for the parcel shelf, leave it alone unless you have equivalent lateral bracing from the roll cage.
You will save more weight by cutting out the boot and bonnet hinges and all the stiffening bracing in them as well. Cut out all intrusion bars in the doors and cut out as much of the rear door interior as well. Get rid of the dashboard and make a small binnacle only for basic instruments. Only use one seat.

etc etc.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Frost
Silver
Silver

Post by Frost »

OK done all u said except the dashboard,wanna keep it for now as im just gonna use the basic instruments as out the factory,but did remove entire heate sustem interior of the cubby hole and everething inside the dash so only have a bare skin of the dash left,cut out inner of rear doors,in the post on page one,is there more in the doors I can cut out? also cage will get brace between shock struts and a cross between B PILLAR loop top and shock strut,is that enough bracing to cut out parcel shelf(same design as in pic kevin posted on this page of the giulietta ) I believe this is sufficient bracing unless u guys have experienced different,also planning to seem weld front members of shox and castor arm ass.,good idea?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Given your expected level of competition, I would leave the rear parcel shelf and partition intact.
Unless you are going to use the window winder mechanisms in the front, you need to gut the front doors like the rear.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Frosti, how is the car coming on. Dropping another pic of the super lightweight giulietta.
Attachments
IMG_2908.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG (115.76 KiB) Viewed 6589 times