Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Whats required to build a race gearbox ?

Post by kevin »

As the topic suggests it would be nice to get as many ideas in modifying and remaking the current gearbox to handle 300-400hp.
If it results in making new crown and pinions out higher grade material thats no problem.
I am first going to anylise my broken boxes and see how they have failed(shear,loading etc). Is it due to the high inertia, if so I should start off lighteneing the clutch etc.
All suggestions and ideas are welcome to build another box. Sadly there are only two autodelta boxes left here and the owners wont part with them and importing a colloti box with our exchange rate is out of the question.
I need a new project for next year.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Re: Whats required to build a race gearbox ?

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Barry once told that the casing needs to be clamped at some point, this because the pieces started to separate. :shock: This was because the gears are anglecut and force eachother away. straight-cut gears would probably solve this.

After the clamping of the box the problem was solvd, the next weakpoint was the outgoing axle to the diff, snapped off behind the pignon wheel.

Good luck with your project! I love these kind of undertakings by enthousiasts. 8)
Drive it like you stole it...