Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Racing Clutches (lightweight)

Post by kevin »

As topic suggest it would be good to continue it here for racing and trackday cars. Micke , I have read your topic, how has your clutch 'been' since you have had it in. I am ideally looking for a lightweight clutch that can handle a lot of starts as I also do a bit of tar rallying.
Pics and ideas all welcome.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Re: Racing Clutches (lightweight)

Post by Micke »

Can't say anything about the durability of the small ones. The old 7.25" wasn't worn at all when disassembled.
Kimmo is using one on long distance races and works fine. I'll report about 5.5 and 4.5" when I know more.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Tarmac rallies? Do you slip the clutch a lot? Please talk us through a typical stage with slip and time as a base. I have no idea what tarmac rallies do to a clutch, standing starts and hairpins will put focus on the clutch I guess?

Flywheel/pressure plate mass is your heat capacity, if you slip the clutch a lot and have too little mass you will ruin the clutch. There is no way around it other then not slipping the clutch or increase the mass of the parts.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Mats, typically the tarmac rallying events are '' fun events our club does in between races. Its only three a year but to skip them all together is no problem if i am trying to make a clutch for my racing series that does not have rolling starts. Our tarmac rallying has three stages that normally run off the main race circuit onto road, back through hairpins and a mountain section. To save the car for track racing I dont slip clutch.(to much). So bottom line I think would like a clutch that is only designed to start a race three times in a day. Therefore we can go smaller(not to much heat dissipitation needed).
I will use the 155 for tarmac rallying from now on anyway.
PS go Soderling.(for the Swedes)
benski105
Gold
Gold

Post by benski105 »

this is the setup i use. been great so far. nice engagment.
i have been using a tilton hyd release bearing aswell.
the clutch is a twin plate.
Attachments
DSCN4458.jpg
DSCN4458.jpg (70.56 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
DSCN4415.jpg
DSCN4415.jpg (52.82 KiB) Viewed 4252 times
1962 Giulia Ti Race-car
1969 Giulia Super
1987 GTV6- new race project.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Benski, great stuff - very clever. Whats the reason for staying with twin plate when going to all the effort. Personally twin plate is easier as i have many spare GTV6 clutch housings. But single plate is lighter. Imput welcome.
Question is if you have access to both housings which is the best way forward for racing ?
benski105
Gold
Gold

Post by benski105 »

Kevin,
the clutch housing is actually from a 75 ts. the only difference i found was the method of retaining the flywheel bearing. gtv6 uses a locknut and other cars seem to all use a circlip.
went with a twin plate as i have had great success with them in the past. plus it was cheap off ebay .
i had a flywheel made.
the weight of this set up is significantly lighter than the standard twin plate. plus the smaller diameter helps.
this is on a race car and doesn't need the use a road car gets.
gear changes are great.
1962 Giulia Ti Race-car
1969 Giulia Super
1987 GTV6- new race project.