Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: No longer a ''budget" race GTV

Post by kevin »

Thanks for replies , i have the long bmw m3 oil cooler at the moment . My fans are coming in to low and will reset to a higher temp . Im about 8 degrees out of the above advice.
We have always been scared if we see our car or race engines above 95 deg here as all our sender units and theremostats for SA were always set at 87/85 degrees. So probably old thinking in this hot dry climate .
Off the topic all bm 5 series had to be recalled here, subarus, vauxhaul turbos and the ford xr8 due to overheating problems. bMW wont even sell a tow bar for thenew Mini turbo as not sufficient testing has been dine here at this altitude . Anyway who wants to tow with a Mini .
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

As this is a budget race car :D i have decided to save costs and wear on race tyres when driving to track (120km) so I got a set of compos 17inch from Bazza with road tyres. Actually I am trying to reduce my fine when the five -o finally stop me . All they can fine me will be no handbrake (but I do carry choc block and a warning triangle 8) ), loud exhaust, and stickers on front windscreen.
Its gonna take some more mods to get these wheels to fit with the large castor.
Also gonna cut a spare set of speedlines from 8.5J to7.5J as the definately can clear the castor arm even with spacers.
Attachments
rim-compo17rear.jpg
rim-compo17rear.jpg (97.47 KiB) Viewed 8297 times
rim-compofront.jpg
rim-compofront.jpg (110.94 KiB) Viewed 8297 times
rim-compofrontlow.jpg
rim-compofrontlow.jpg (86.59 KiB) Viewed 8297 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Some pics of speedline rims I wanna modify. I need to bring cente piece in 10mm and take 25mm off inside rim.
Attachments
rim-speedlineside.jpg
rim-speedlineside.jpg (66.34 KiB) Viewed 8296 times
rim-speedline.jpg
rim-speedline.jpg (88.52 KiB) Viewed 8296 times
squadragrunn
Gold
Gold

Post by squadragrunn »

im refurbishing a set of speedlines mistral......
-charles-
gtv6 3.0 24v, 164qv 24v, maserati biturbo 2.8 evo, mb 500se, zzr1100d
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Speedlines are a much stronger rim than those old compos . But they are double the weight and still pretty light relatively speaking.
Hope you using new nuts and bolts . Had a rim snap its bolts last week. Last time i send them in for refurb so now do it myself unless you supply new bolts and check they have tightened them properly. A slightly bucked split rim also put unecessary stress on bolts as well.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Kevin,

Could you add a video camera and mount into your car? :mrgreen:
Dr. Alban
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Kevin, what happened to those widened original wheels that Barry had a thread on?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Zamani , I bought a camera for the car but it's aspect ratio converting back looks so stupid with the software I got. I'm trying to sort that out because this car goes so well and it's really worth seeing .
Duk those widened original rims are on a gtv owned by the guy who has the twin turbo 155 . Have a look at this link and you will see carefully their on this gtv viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4116
Also I will post more pics , I have lost Internet connectivity where I stay so bit difficult to update . Problems when you stay in Africa , they say I'm in a dead spotvas the mast has shifted - sounds like bs to me .
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

3 x GTV6 3.0 - Racing car now looking more "complete"
Attachments
kevin gtv.jpg
kevin gtv.jpg (169.97 KiB) Viewed 8041 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thanks Joe , I changed livery back to the original 1983 style again as it was previously to '' modern '' for other catergories . which is no problem . I took the family ( my 3 GTV's) out for their final pics as I have just sold another sibling (gtv) . There were eight then six and now two :cry:
I dont have any space now that I have sold up .
Joe- you care to tell the forum how satursday racing went ( sorry i do find it funny :D ) probably because I never made it either.
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

yea... sure!!!!!!

:lol:

Left early .... aqbout 05h30.... half way (or more) to the track (thats about 30 minutes drive), I realise I have left Helmet and Log book at home!!!!!! - so, make a U-Turn and "RUSH" back home..... when I am about 10 minutes away from home (it is now about 06h45) and I am going "fast", a MeTro Cop (Police in normal language), standing for some reason on the side of the road (he was NOT there when I went out), pulls me over...

His first words, "Racing car Huh????? Are u rushing somewhere???" - too which I respond "yes, to a race".... he obviously does NOT see the humour in this and asks for my licence, steps around the car 100 times, Left indicator, right indicator, Hooter... So I am thinking "Passed Scrutineering for the day!!!!"....

anyway, after checking licence, he picks up I have an outstanding fine on road car!!!! - well, u can just imagine what happens next (hands and knees!!!)....so, eventually I get back home at about 08h00 (by now I have missed scrutneering, registration and Qualifying), so --- I blame the wife for NOT reminding me to take helmet, put the helmet in the car, drive the car into the garage and sit down and watch Kuala Lumpur GP qualifying!!!!! - end of day!!!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Their is a small clip , seven whole seconds worth on you tube with :"alfa gtv 3.7 vs 2.8 twin turbo "at .5 bar boost . Can't paste link from iPad as it always paste some bizarre link. Just some good sound .
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi

some more pics of 3.7 vs TT - obviously at Midvaal raceway - the TT had a really good outing...
Attachments
kevin vs tt.jpg
kevin vs tt.jpg (49.22 KiB) Viewed 7836 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

It was good so see the tt on the track after nearly two decades of storage . They ran it at such low boost to shake car down and soften those old slicks . Irony is it had some gearbox issue ( lost reverse and kept selecting 5th instead of third) but still managed to finish . Note this has it's gearbox upfront.
My car with all the mods ie outboard brakes , gearbox cooler, and using Redline 75w90NS oil has proved pretty bullet proof .
Having a 3.7 with huge power has also allowed me to skip using second gear which was always the gear I was vin when the pinion failed on the other 3 boxes . I have also made more effort to be smoother on box even when there are four cars abreast all fighting for same piece of tarmac.

Unfortunately this is the end of the road for this car and no more mods as I have had to pack up my whole workshop due to relocation of family .
This so called budget car has been a great experience and learning curve . I will probably do a summary of all parts and costs involved excluding my time to see what it really cost.
I will try fit in two more races this year still and do report back on weak points .