Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: ACTUAL budget race GTV6... suggestions?

Post by kevin »

Tight corners with the V6 is always more tricky than the four. What i started doing is to get the back lighter on turn in(only fractionally) so the front does not bog in as you apply power otherwise your revs go up and down and you get huge understeer combined with slow exit speed. By getting back lighter I still break a bit into the turn . It works for me . Im sure this is totally wrong technique but send comments.

My problem on the V6 weight is all the upgrades suspension and brake upgrades, radiator size are all much heavier than on the fours. ie front roll bar much heavier, radiator is nearly double weight and front disc also double . extra in exhaust, pinion and crown heavier, double in clutch etc - all keeps adding.
Rims get wider , tyres get heavier.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Zamani wrote:Hey Mats,

Not just Alfa sphere, but 116 sphere,

Just look at these old videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVfrMp_6pMQ

Or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL1XocMhpM4

FWD Alfas just owning the RWD ones around the turn.

Well I'm definitely making my car wider :lol: that's probably a good place to start for a budget racer :mrgreen:
Those are fantastic videos! :)

Obviously the "Imsa" is not set up by someone that knows what's the front end of a car and what's the rear... Obvious in the first few laps and after that the driver just drives slower at the entry. The 147 driver can hit the throttle about a month earlier too. I can totally feel for the 147 driver, I've been in that situation too many times, totally frustrated. :? Trailing throttle while pushing the other car around the corners.

The other one was much more closely matched. I was wondering why he drove so strange in the camera car until I saw the first "door shutting" from the GTV in front of him, if someone drove like that in our series he would be told a thing or two after the race. :x
I think the camera car had more then a few really good chances to overtake but with someone like that in the other car you tend to not go for it (at least when you pay your own car)
What´s the leak from the sud?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

Come on guys...... You can't judge that quickly.

In the first video the 147 is faster because of a damp and very cold track (around 4 degrees) AND the guy in the 75 is driving it for the first time and it isn't his car (it once was before it was finished)! He had trouble getting a feel for it and maybe its setup wasn't the best. That 75 is WAY faster than the 147, the conditions were in favour of the 147.

The guys with the gtv's are friends... ;) The Alfa Romeo Challenge has very fair drivers, but you have to get past! You can't blame the guy in front for turning in while he still could.... If you can still turn in without hitting the other car, you're not beaten yet ;) It's called racing.
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Heh, like I said, setup is useless.. Obviously it will kick some serious ass once setup correctly.

And about slamming the door. You don't slam the door on somebody on the straight... Keeping your space at the corner entry is fine but changing the line to block a faster car on the straight is bad form.
Why does he wait about a second every upshift btw? He shifts into gear and then waits before engaging the clutch..?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!