Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
MD
Verde
Verde

The Orange Cab -MD's New Racer

Post by MD »

After the sale of th Flyin' Brick, things sort of languished for a while and I decided a new project would get me out of the duldrums. So, I am building a replacement. It's an Alfetta GTV built aroud 1978. Not much to tell for now but I will keep you posted as time goes. I was going to do a 75 as I prefer sedans but the one I scored turned out to be a rust basket case so it got the flick.

Meantime, if you have seen the Brick article before, you might want to check it again as I have added additional photos that might interest you.

Cheers, MD
Attachments
The Orange Cab.jpg
The Orange Cab.jpg (82.55 KiB) Viewed 13047 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kterkkila
Gold
Gold

Re: The Orange Cab -MD's New Racer

Post by kterkkila »

That's the actual car in the pic? You've already got it painted?

Sure there will be plenty of eyes watching your work, including me, so hope you keep posting the progress reports and sharing pics :)
Kimmo / alfatune.fi
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Looks immaculate judging from the pic of the front left corner... 8)

More pics and spec please... :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Mats,

Its the only spot on the car that is right....there is a bunch of uglyness attached. That is why its a project.

:wall:
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hahhaa Ziggy. You're just trying to beat Alfettish to be the first guy to give me the shits. :D

Well, congratulations. It's working. But hey, we need more humour in this world so by all means keep coming.

Can't show you too much 'cause the entire car is not yet finished. Certain parts are so I will post some of that as we go. Here's a photo of the office. Absolutley minimal. Not even a dashboard or a binnacle to hold the instruments. The "instruments" consist of 1 yellow shift light,2 red oil pressure light, 3 green engine temp light,4 blue alternator fail light and off course the tacho.

The computer fans are for cooling the driver while waiting in the hot Oz sun in the que before gridding up.
Attachments
Alfetta GTV Office.jpg
Alfetta GTV Office.jpg (66.86 KiB) Viewed 12972 times
Alfetta GTV Interior from Widscreen.jpg
Alfetta GTV Interior from Widscreen.jpg (72.54 KiB) Viewed 12973 times
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Niceee, quite a minimalistic approach to a dashboard!
I do prefer gauges and a low oil press light....just to monitor tendencies...
I spot a shifter convertion too? :D
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Tease!

I spot a roof vent and what looks to be spot light mounts - ex rally car?

Colour scheme, from what's shown, looks great!
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Nice.

I have quite a bit of more gauges then that (and lights) and my electrical system is insane compared to what you seem to have.
Is that a Megasquirt box I see?

White interior... Brave man. I guess you like cleaning? :shock: :lol:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Yeah white car to start with inside and out. I wasn't going to repaint it completely like the Brick.

Guages for road cars I agree with or race cars that participate in long races ie, Bathurst or indeed rally cars. The short laps that I expect to do, reviewing progressive issues with guages is not warranted. It either works or it doesn't. If it works you dont stop. If it doesn't you get off. If it is intermittent, you get off. Extra weight ,complexity and cost is not warranted. Everybody has their opinion about this and this just happens to be my take on it. We'll see how this theory goes.

Yes ex rally chassis and roll cage to match and yes a functional roof vent and movable quarter vents on the front doors !! Come Morgan Park summer should do the job well me thinks.

No Mats, it's a Haltec. Platinum Sport 1000. Should do the job I think.

http://www2.haltech.com.au/index.php?op ... &Itemid=77

Ignore all the loose wiring as nothing is finished here.
Attachments
Alfetta GTV Roof Vents.jpg
Alfetta GTV Roof Vents.jpg (70.72 KiB) Viewed 12917 times
Haltec ECU.jpg
Haltec ECU.jpg (83.84 KiB) Viewed 12925 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yeah the gauges are as you say just different approaches, for me it's a diagnostic tool. If you suddenly get "The Fear" in the middle of a stint and think there is something wrong you can glance over at the gauges and see a problem or a trend. I can't afford to stop after something has gone wrong. :shock:
I even have a fuel gauge... 8) :lol:

Looking forward to see the beast in action. :)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I really like this graphic on the front guards.

Ha haa. My fuel guage is really high tech.
It's a rubber hose that I use as a dipstick. !!! :D

On a more serious note, in my case if you can't make your gear last 6 short laps without overheating and losing oil pressure you are not ready to be on the track and shouldn't be there.

As for trends, its usually too busy in the office trying to stay ahead (or catch up) to be studying guages and if trends is what is needed, it's best to use data loggers don't you think?

Got lots to do yet. Install my engine. Fabricate adaptors for some throttle bodies to fit. Make my headers and secondaries, coil overs.....the wife happy..feed the dog...take a piss- you know there is more to life than just Alfas (least I think there is ) :D
Attachments
1 LHS Front Guard Alfetta GTV.jpg
1 LHS Front Guard Alfetta GTV.jpg (57.46 KiB) Viewed 12873 times
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

I guess it goes on your preferences really, i'm with mats as far as the gauge thing goes even though I clearly understand what you mean, it's not over one race that you look at the trends though, it can be replaced by data logging, but it's something psychologically reasuring to see the gauges after all the time, effort and money spend on building an engine....
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

MD wrote:I really like this graphic on the front guards.

Ha haa. My fuel guage is really high tech.
It's a rubber hose that I use as a dipstick. !!! :D

On a more serious note, in my case if you can't make your gear last 6 short laps without overheating and losing oil pressure you are not ready to be on the track and shouldn't be there.

As for trends, its usually too busy in the office trying to stay ahead (or catch up) to be studying guages and if trends is what is needed, it's best to use data loggers don't you think?

Got lots to do yet. Install my engine. Fabricate adaptors for some throttle bodies to fit. Make my headers and secondaries, coil overs.....the wife happy..feed the dog...take a piss- you know there is more to life than just Alfas (least I think there is ) :D
Striking image! Very cool. :)

A screwdriver is the normal fuel gauge around here (to compress the foam) but I plan to have the tank under the floor and use the stock filler location (due to regulations, if I have a filler inside the trunk I need a water tight wall in between the cabin and boot...) so it will be quite difficult to check level with a hose. :)

As far as I'm concerned I have built a new engine in a configuration I have never seen before so I have no idea if it will take 6 laps of the town sqare...
I'm not planning on looking at the gauge all the time but I will certainly have a look entering the long straights and just before braking, do that every lap and you will see if the temp stabilize or not. And yes, I will naturally log on both my DTA and my DL1 (planning a CAN-interface too) but then I can see if it went to hell, with a gauge I can catch it before overheating the water or oil or see if the boost drops indicating a leak instead of overspeeding the turbo and maybe shredding it.
I like approaching from the chaotic side instead of the over-engineered side but that's just me. :D

Anyway, back to your car... :oops:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

hmm, a white GTV rally car, that's not Martin Darch's old car is it?

you should have plenty of ventilation = those roof vents are very effective and tend to minimise dust and exhaust fumes by picking up high. will also help for keeping the screen clear on humid wet days.

Looks like a tour de force graphics-wise
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That looks really nice. More pictures please!

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com