Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Re: Turbocharged 79' GTV - Track Car Build

Post by GarthW »

3" inch pipe will fit, for i've done it before, but then not on a 79. Sorry have been away for awhile and just noticed this thread. Nice build mate.

BTW-You interested in selling your standard wheels by any chance, if you still have them?

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
BradGTV
Gold
Gold

Post by BradGTV »

hi garth,
not really wanting to part with the wheels at this stage. if ur looking for wheels i have a set of re furbished simmons v4s for sale?
good to know about the exhaust, have decided to cut out some of the lower fire wall to make extra clearance anyway :D

build is comming along slowly, been to busy swapping engines and pulling tannnys on commodores :oops: the past couple weekends so not much proggress :( but at this stage, all sound deadneing is out, all windows out, dash out so now i have a bair shell, that will have the last of the rust fixed and hopefully be preped for paint before im off to europe.

also been working on a in cab shifter and getting rid of the brake booster, the cast aluminium pedal box is being moded to have a MC mounted on it however the quality of cast is the worst ive come accross, absolutly crap to weld :evil: so its taking longer than expected....
79 GTV (sr20) 83 GTV (TS) 85 GTV, 76 GT, 84 GTV6, 91 164, 88 75 TS & 89 75 TS
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Thanks anyway mate, i have 2 sets of mag wheels, but i just want the standard wheels back on, well i have one, just need 3 more.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

BradGTV
Gold
Gold

Post by BradGTV »

wait, thinking for a sec u have the gtv6 turbo dont ya? therefor u want the 5 stud gtv6 standard wheels? the ones i dont want to sell are 4 stud gtv wheels, but i do have a set of 5 gtv6 standard alloys that i will part with if thats what your after?
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hey mate, yes there exactly what i'm looking for! :D

I will happily take them off you mate. Thank you very much.

Whats your email?

Selling 1985 GTV6.

BradGTV
Gold
Gold

Post by BradGTV »

not much has happened, as per usual my mind has changed a bit over what im going to do on the car, some of you may not like this decision :lol:

mods to the engine bay are taking place atm, paint striping, cutting the front out of it and shortly seam welding.

on my other gtv, i want to convert it to 5 stud, i have a full set of 75 TS running gear spair, and will throw in the TS transaxle and 5 stud dedion in, but for the front can i simply put the 5 stud hubs on the 4cyl gtv stub axles? or do i need to put the 75 TS front upright in aswell?
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

You have to check to be sure...the mounting ears for the callipers can have a different place, the distance from the centre of the spindle where the hub slides over to the ears can be different. If the discs are the same diameter you're fine. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
BradGTV
Gold
Gold

Post by BradGTV »

thanks remco,
ill give it ago today hopefully.
ive been following your build on the dutch forum. its looking good 8)
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

thanks... :) unfortunately progress is rather slow now. I don't know if you already got it from the dutch text but i'm going to be a father by the end of teh year. :P And painting and buying baby-furniture and stuff takes up my time at the moment. :(
BradGTV
Gold
Gold

Post by BradGTV »

got the brakes on finally :lol: so now have 5x98 hubs, 164 rotors, volvo 4 pot calipers and a 164 mastercylinder 8)

here a couple of pictures of the new engine and gearbox, i could write a lenghty paragraph about why i choose this engine over the twinspark but i dont feel its nessicary. i know some alfa fans dont like engine conversion but this is my car and how i want it to be. im not here to argue what engine is better and why ect.. all i hope is that you can appreciate the work im putting in to my car :)

its a sr20de with its 5 speed gearbox, the extractors are from another alfa gtv here in oz that also ran a sr20de, equal lenght and 4 into 1, i plan to keep it NA and standard ecu until the suspension, brakes and my driving skills are sorted then sr20det with bolt on mods will be put in :twisted:

engine is sitting on the mounts i made, but then decided to move the engine and gearbox back 40mm for better weight distribution, so its on a bit of an angle which will be fixed
Attachments
Copy of P1020201.JPG
Copy of P1020201.JPG (98.38 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
Copy of P1020198.JPG
Copy of P1020198.JPG (116.67 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
Copy of P1020197.JPG
Copy of P1020197.JPG (112.33 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Brave move to post this here... :wink:

I won't condemn you for i have sinned myself. :oops: :lol:

The Nissan motor is retty good and not that ugly also. My Saab engine looks worse. :oops:

You are fortunate you're car is RHD, else you would have the same problem as me with the steering and brakes being on the same side as the exhaust.

Since you already have a giant hole in your car it would be wise to now make room for a nice fat exhaust. Going over and behind the steering rack is now a very good option that will make life easier for you and your exhaust, especially if you lower the car... :D

What are you gonna do the rear end?
BradGTV
Gold
Gold

Post by BradGTV »

remco, congrats on the baby :wink:
yes, my plan is to remove some of the floor in the passanger side to accomidate an exhaust, and make the trans tunnel to go over the exhaust.

im still thinking about rear end, its either dedion with the nissan irs diff mounted in the centre, shortened half shalfs and an adpater plate to go from the shaft to the alfa hub.

or the complete nissan s13 irs set up, this is a better option but will require more body work in the rear to fit it, but will give adjustable toe and camber 8) and its only 25mm wider each side, so wheels will fit..
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

There is definite logic in using the SR20 in the Alfa. It's good engine but does have its own foibles. Obviously VERY well supported in the aftermarket.
Same said for using the factory transmission. But now it's not a transaxle Alfa.
I do like the way you've backed the engine through the fire wall. Don't overly concern yourself with the '50/50 weight distribution' thing, obviously its important but it's more about having the major masses well within the wheel base and track dimensions. That is the biggest benefit of mid engine cars. Low polar moments (front and rear) of inertia.
Getting everything (engine, gearbox and diff) as low as possible is an obvious benefit at the expense of ground clearance. Moving the driver's seat back and making it as central as possible and as low as possible will also help.
BradGTV
Gold
Gold

Post by BradGTV »

thanks for the comments duk!
i originally planned to use the sr and transaxle and half made a bellhousing and made the engine mounts, but knowing the trasaxle will be a weak point, i thought why not do it right the first time? so bought a s13 and wreaked it.
when i put the engine in the gearbox / bellhousing / sump hit on the steering rack so i had to move the engine back about 45mm to clear then what i had it. and that meant cutting the firewall out,
as i have to make new mounts ill check high clearance on the steering rack and might be able to move the engine down a bit aswell but probably only 5mm or so.
the driving position is deffiantly going to be moved back and will requie a new pedal box (a. to clear intake plenum, b. extend the pedals). so it i will be set up pretty much as the points u mentioned.
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

IMHO de dion > s13 semi trailing arm
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre