Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
DNA
Silver
Silver

Re: A new GTV6 2.5 entry into SA Marque car catergory

Post by DNA »

Glad you want to restore it to its former glory (3.0 Carb)!
Makes sense the way you are doing it.
I'll come cheer for you on the 28th.

Regards,
Niwou
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Right...(TX, look forward to the race)... tomorrow is Scrutineering / compliance evaluation at Zwarkops so hope all goes ok... In the afternoon there is an open day, so will actually be doing the VERY first shake down laps with the car !!!!!.... if all is ok, then the next weekend is First race in new car...

A few more things now completed, the normal ignition,tow, etc, stickers, and bonnet catches fitted AND!!!!! THANKS to Kevin... the PROP is sorted!!!!!!!!!!!

See some "final" pics prior to roundels and race no going on during the weekend..
Attachments
did not realise that the gauges went RED after dark!!! - normally blue..
did not realise that the gauges went RED after dark!!! - normally blue..
photo32.JPG (89.99 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
and from the "rear"
and from the "rear"
photo31.JPG (117.1 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
the cuplrit!!!it WAS the MIDDLE BEARING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the cuplrit!!!it WAS the MIDDLE BEARING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
photo 27.jpg (86.24 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
front view.,...
front view.,...
photo27.JPG (122.55 KiB) Viewed 6564 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yeah that dam prop . It was the locknuts just behind centre bearing . They were tight but not tightening up the yoke so was fraction of play . This only made a noise at very low rpm or when you switched car off . Had to put a small shim then retighten then feel for play by hand . The balance machine could never pick this up or simulate the noise aaaargghh .
Joe you might have to put rear toe arrow pointing down if they whine at scrutineering tomorrow .
Hope to see you there with my car on the track tomorrow .
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Yesterday was the cars first race.... It was at the Zwartkops International Day.... PLENTY of cars, international and local...some pics below....

How did it go...Well, I was VERY happy (after we sorted the Brake problem), the fault being mine....!!!! I kept of getting a LOOOOOONNGGG pedal after 3-4 laps, and was obviously overheating EVERYTHING.... anyway to cut a long story short, the problem was that I "forgot" to chnage to proper racing pads!!!!! (yes....)

Lap times came down straight after Ferodo DS2500 were fitted (dear Kevin coming to the rescue at 05h30 the morning of the seond heat!!!!) - eventually won the second heat ...but I broke out of the class time!!!! so DQ!!!!
Attachments
156?????
156?????
picture45.JPG (151.06 KiB) Viewed 6506 times
75 Turbo!!!
75 Turbo!!!
picture35.jpg (90.57 KiB) Viewed 6506 times
Going through and PASSING scrutineering
Going through and PASSING scrutineering
picture33.jpg (83.77 KiB) Viewed 6506 times
NOW we can see them properly... Mine on the left, Kevin's on the right
NOW we can see them properly... Mine on the left, Kevin's on the right
picture40.JPG (131.03 KiB) Viewed 6506 times
Nice Cars ... Kevin the way again!!!!
Nice Cars ... Kevin the way again!!!!
picture38.JPG (115.57 KiB) Viewed 6506 times
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Nice car that Coloni 156... 8) Sounds quite as well. :wink: I've seen the 156 and the 75 Tb in action over here in Holland on a few occasions and that was always very entertaining. :D

NOW i can't see a pair of GTV6's.... I just keep staring at them other beauties... :oops:

VERY NICE..... :mrgreen:
Drive it like you stole it...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

It was a great two days racing . Good to see joe driving the socks of that 2.5 . Three months ago we sat down and looked at costs of getting a v6 on the track and if it would be competitive within that budget . So the plan was to spend zero bucks on the motor and get the handling and set up spot on . Well budget was exceeded a"bit" but lap time was also exceeded by a second on first event . All in all been great project now it's up to Joe to take motor to next level again in a budget . This is where jims book comes in which we are all ready looking at cams and intake tubes . (don't want to take heads off at this stage). It also does help when you have a seasoned driver in a project who can push the car to the limit - probably why budget lap time was beaten .

From my side my 3.7 has done 56 hard laps and not used any oil(300ml) and gearbox is still together so all the hard work has paid off. I will put a summary on what has worked and kept my gearbox together on other thread . Also interesting to see time difference between my 3.7 and Joes car was 6 seconds and which was 7 seconds between me and the Coloni driven by Jan Lammers . Must say the 3.7 really makes up for mistakes and LOFT on the track . ( LOFT is a golf term ...lack of ....)
Must say it was a small challenge to go fetch cars and drive them back this morning and dodge all the roadblocks as our tyres look like full slicks at the moment . You always get road cars that want to race you . Well that v8 M3 should never have tried. It just puts into perspective how fast a 3.7 is with a 10/43 box .
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi All

thought I would summarise what was done on the vehicle to get it ready, plus what the next steps will be..

1) Partly bolt-in cage (in front) and the rest TIG welded - The cross section to the Tunnel and to the rear uprights have made a huge difference and has really (i think) stiffened the car up nicely from a chassis perspective
2) New Exhaust system with NO middle silencer (one in the rear), which makes the car sound awesome, and has probably added a few hp
3) Sorted the prop - front and rear bearing
4) Race seat and harness
5) A MOMO wheel which has made the lock to lock ratio shorter and feels good and almost right in terms of turn-in
6) - The BEST and MOST effective change was the addition of the RON SIMONS KIT - this has TRANFORMED the car - it handles and corners almost flat, has NO understeer in slow corners, handles NEUTRAL in fast corners and has a little (which I love) Oversteer on powering out of corners... it is truly and amazing kit!!!!! (and I have NOT yet put the 32mm ARB)
7) Ferodo disks in front, DS pads and dot5 fluid, Braided hoses- works well - redid master clutch and brakes cylinders
8) Special oil for the g/box
9) Castrol GTX Racing for motor - seems to work really well
10) New Battery...
11) and the rest of the "race compliance items" - fire extinguisher, decals, kill switches, etc.

To Do Next:

1)VERY NB... Valve Springs MUST be replaced and checked --- getting valve "bounce" at +- 5800 rpm - will fit same as per Jim K book...
2) Will fit better cams - as per JK book as well

I reckon with the above and improving my driving and getting used to car, will be able to find about 1.5sec per lap - should be able to get down to low 1;19's at Zwartkops
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi All

second race now done.... NO PROBLEMS.... I have attached some pics of the event itself....

Question????

What do guys think of the "Body Roll" on my car??? - does it seem ok??? - Just a comment, as the parts from US (33mm ARB Bushes) have gone "Missing in Action" - never arrived!!!!, the car runs on STD ARB
Attachments
photo 52.JPG
photo 52.JPG (80.98 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
photo 51.JPG
photo 51.JPG (76.71 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
photo50.JPG
photo50.JPG (140.2 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

some more pics
Attachments
Quite a bit of traffic!!! - GREAT FUN...I remember this particular situation.... nearly got nose taken off...typical Porsche driver - Got past on next corner though!!!!
Quite a bit of traffic!!! - GREAT FUN...I remember this particular situation.... nearly got nose taken off...typical Porsche driver - Got past on next corner though!!!!
photo 50.JPG (69.69 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi Guys

been a while since last post - anyway, have been searching for a 3.0lt motor for the car (as it is one of the original 3.0 South African cars) so I can try get it back as close as I can to spec.....

Thanks to Kevin and Dom, we have found a 3.0lt 12v Motor (unfortunately for now it will have FI) - s

So now starts the next "project" of fitting this motor - Hopefully will gte it done for the next race in 5-6 weeks - Will be posting photos as we move ahead.

In meantime find pics of the "motor'

I am really excited about this, as besides the extra HP, we are starting toi get back to "original" specs..

Tx again to Kevin for all his help and input - appreciate!!!!! - and Dom for the Hard work!!!!!!
Attachments
2nd pic of motor - eeds a good clean!
2nd pic of motor - eeds a good clean!
motor 3.0 b.JPG (146.44 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
pic of 3.0lt motor
pic of 3.0lt motor
motor3.0 a.JPG (121.48 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Great! 164 V6 right? What are you using for FI?
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi

Yep... thats right.... will be using Gotech, plus will be making a "special" plenum...
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Joemart wrote:Hi

Yep... thats right.... will be using Gotech, plus will be making a "special" plenum...
Nice! i'll be using Gotech Pro in my Giulie, would you mind sharing the map?
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi

A small progress update and some pics....

The old motor is out, and we decided we would also do some additional "mods" and clean up...

so here find some pics - the new motor should be in during next week
Attachments
Engine bay - cleaned!!!
Engine bay - cleaned!!!
engine bay2.jpg (131.18 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi

some more pics of small progress
Attachments
Modified and strengthened clutch housing
Modified and strengthened clutch housing
clutch housing3.JPG (45.78 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
Tappet covers - cleaned - will "paint" the Alfa logo - not sure if yellow or red??
Tappet covers - cleaned - will "paint" the Alfa logo - not sure if yellow or red??
tappets2.JPG (43.26 KiB) Viewed 6040 times