Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: A new GTV6 2.5 entry into SA Marque car catergory

Post by MD »

I have always been intrigued by the rolling resistance of larger tyres vs the gains in friction adhesion and braking area. Just where is the cross over point for best outcomes?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Now that is an interesting question... I am pondering that right now...

Unofrtunatley, I cannot go more than original 15", BUT here is the question::

what would be better for a fsster lap time::

a) 205/50/15 (Bridgestone semi) with and OD of 585 and "patch" of 212mm - should fit a 6,5J rim...... OR
b) 225/50/15 (same Bridgestone semi), with an OD of 605 and patch of 230 - will fit 7j rim

Any comments and thoughts really welcome.. I am concerned about 2 things

a) Will the extra OD create a substantial reduction in Acceleration, which will be MORE than compensated for by extra grip and corner speed?
b) Will the extra OD make the tyre too "high" and hence "bend / fold" in a corner hence reduce the contact patxch?

Thanks guys
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

MD wrote:I have always been intrigued by the rolling resistance of larger tyres vs the gains in friction adhesion and braking area. Just where is the cross over point for best outcomes?
More rubber is pretty much always better unless you are seriously underpowered. Larger diameter means more rubber to take the heat and wider tire is more grip in the corners.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi Mats

thanks... would the extra Diameter ... 2cm (or 1cm radius) potentially cause "bend" or fold?? - or I guess, the manfg is smart enough to design the side wall strong enough, or they would not suggest 7J... guess i answered myself :roll:
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

So, at some point I had the comment that the gear ratios were just "bad" from someone... Meant in a nice way I know...

Well, I have done some "spending" and hopefully for the next race will have a little surprise ... which I hope will be a positive one and not a negative :?:

so, should have car ready by this weekend... will give it a try and see what it feels like on the road, then (if I am "allowed') will try enter the Marque Cars event next Saturday to do a test run...otherwise, will try do a track day before our next event...

I am REALLY hoping it will shave another 1/2 second or so off my lap times at "Z", taking me to the 1:15's.... ok... NOT 13's like the TT911 :twisted:
PowerMods911
Gold
Gold

Post by PowerMods911 »

Guiseppe, let me know when you intend going out for test runs, I also want to test my handling once I have the front suspension back together, aiming for 21st April.

Hang in there, the times will come. I battled to break into the 16's, did it once then went backwards into the high 17's :oops:. Took a 10 pond hammer, a crowbar and a couple of mates and went through each and every front suspension, bolt, nut, balljoint, bush... if we could get to it with the hammer or crowbar we gave it the shock treatment. Then even if it felt tightened, we retightened it. Trust me we retighted a whole lot of items. Then "miraculously" I found 13's out of nowhere :o .
GTV6 2.8 TT Race Car
GTV6 3.0 White
GTV6 2.5 Red
GTV6 2.5 RIP (donor)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jose , your car needed tightening as you do remember the spectator coming to tell your wheels are pointing in opposite directions in turn 7 . Both upside bottom ball joints were loose with 20 mm play :shock: . It's good to comment when I'm 10 000 miles away :D
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Jose... will let u know.... Should get car back tghis weekend... will call u to make a plan!!
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi all... been a while since last race...

Was a GREAT day at Kyalami today with Alfa Trofeo, "111" and Porsche club racing together in the same heats..a "scratch" race... 52 cars on the track at the same time, at one stage almost felt like a demolition derby... I lost my driver's side Mirror..:( :evil: ... I came 3rd in both heats... "911" won one heat and 2nd in the other.

Hereunder also see link to video (will be up in about 1-2 hours), of 1st race rolling start, which somehow gets aborted at last second and almost ends in tears for everyone... :roll:

watch the "beady" eyes darting left to right a number of times, looking for an "exit" route... :twisted:

http://youtu.be/d6rzkg-j5Ec
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Holy crap , that clerk of course should be spoken to about creating such confusion . That could have ended in tears . I see there we're five GTV on the front row . Yours , Adrian , warren ( my old car) , Jose powermods and Jose Lopez . Did any one take starting pics .
Have you got new tyres yet ?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Is that first car braking!! :shock:

If I had been in your shoes those drivers in the first rows that are braking after an aborted start would have had an earful...
The same goes for those f**kers who are braking when they see a yellow flag, accident waiting to happen. :twisted:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

They BOTH braked..... :roll: :o .....the confusion came about due to the aborting of start of the first batch of cars in different category ahead of us (staggered starts) ..... but as we were TOO far behind (yes that was the real problem), no-one realised the start of the first batch was aborted until we were past the start line and flags came out (which I did not see nor it appears most of the field)....
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

New video will be up soon....

Last lap of Race1 at kyalami... about 2:38minutes...starts at the bottom of the mineshaft - a number of overtakes and various other marque's (porsche, Bmw, etc)

also, includes a spin by a BMW....at bottom of mineshaft hehehe

http://youtu.be/Re8FOh6vZ3k

PS - give it about 2 hours to upload....
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi.. for thise who would like to see some pics of the day, follow the link below

http://www.racepics.co.za/111-sports-an ... 013-05-11/
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Joemart: A combination of monkeys... :roll:

It's always interesting to glance in the rear view and when you look back having cars approaching from the front, fast! :shock:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!