Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Project 2 : front mount SA GTV 3.0 - Sei diff

Post by kevin »

Pics of my gearbox with dummy engine so I can make clutch unit. I have no calipers for the rear that fit so I trying to save "some " bucks and use the original front brembos on the rear with a custom disc set up. Problem is the brembos are very thick and have to be 40mm at least away the box .
Some other interesting measurment I have found is the 119 diff from hub to hub is 285mm while the 116 box is 325mm. Also note is the 119 side shafts are 20mm longer than the 116 side shafts . Atleast the bolt pattern on the side shaftes on both series is the same BUT the bolt pattern on the hub (half shafts that go into the diff are different) . hope some of this makes sense . Trying to document this as much as possible to help next person who wants to do this and does not have a complte 119 donor car availble because that is the easiest way.
Attachments
rearcaliper.jpg
rearcaliper.jpg (123.77 KiB) Viewed 7186 times
caliperdif.jpg
caliperdif.jpg (101.7 KiB) Viewed 7186 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin,
Brakes
Seems like you have 2 choices.
1 Fit spacers on the caliper mounts and spacers on the axle mount. (dont like this one)
2 Fit a conversion plate onto the existing mounts and fit the caliper in its original alignment. This will need a bigger rotor. If you have too much rear braking, cut down some of the pad friction material until you get a balance.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Good info on the shaft lengths... :(

I have the Sei diff with the spacers/adapters that hold the discs. But no Sei shafts in my posession ( and impossible to find..), just 75/GTV6 ones. :|

So i'll probably need to make a spacer of some kind to make it fit. :(

My discs and calipers are in the wheels, so that problem has been tackled. :)
Drive it like you stole it...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Some pics showing some progress . Been hectic as im trying to finish a 3.0 12v race motor which will go into my old white race car and the 3.7 is gonna be transplanted into this car below. Fernando used a really tough underbody coat to cover his artwork :D
Im just gonna get car on its wheels at this stage then fit all the duplicate parts I made when building the white race car .
Attachments
redunderside.jpg
redunderside.jpg (113.12 KiB) Viewed 7130 times
redfront.jpg
redfront.jpg (138.81 KiB) Viewed 7130 times
redrear.jpg
redrear.jpg (152.44 KiB) Viewed 7130 times
Last edited by kevin on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Some more pics to update. I have used a polyurethane bush for dedion . I have used it in the past and never had any issues . I ran out of time getting another spherical bearing from Ron .
All ball joints , rod ends and bushes in suspension have been replaced . Steering rack has been refurbished as well . I did not take pics yet of that .
Got the new Bilsteins on rear . Will follow with a set of RS 50kg springs ( gone softer on rear by 15kg compared to the white race car)
Attachments
susrear.jpg
susrear.jpg (134.33 KiB) Viewed 7092 times
susdedbush.jpg
susdedbush.jpg (111.04 KiB) Viewed 7092 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Started fitting the front suspension . Again with bilsteins . The discs on are just tempory to get car on wheels . Big thanks to Fernando for making sure I dont put back parts that are not painted and also for ensuring good welding standards with zero shortcuts are taken to make this a proper car. Some times you get lazy and just want to assemble to quickly and just use the 4pd hammer when you need more space ie when make space for castor arm ball joint from 105 series.
Attachments
suspcmplt.jpg
suspcmplt.jpg (154.53 KiB) Viewed 7091 times
suscastorr.jpg
suscastorr.jpg (132.31 KiB) Viewed 7091 times
suskev.jpg
suskev.jpg (90.31 KiB) Viewed 7091 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Working on doing some triangular bracing to firewall from the shock towers. I have welded the roll cage the firewall previously where it passes through to the engine bay . The firewall has been cut to receive an insert plate . This plate joins up the box section in the firewall.
Difficult part is to keep enough clearance for the widscreen wiper mechanism,
Attachments
crossbracerecess.jpg
crossbracerecess.jpg (115.1 KiB) Viewed 7060 times
crossbracerecssbracket.jpg
crossbracerecssbracket.jpg (116.14 KiB) Viewed 7060 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin,

Just be aware that there may be some fouling of the brake reservoirs by one of the braces which could require the fitment of remotes. Installing removable bracing is also the best idea for maintenance purposes as you are doing.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Md , yes i looked at this , it's gonna be close but their is direct space from top of shock mount to centre point of windscreen wiper . But having said this it's not gonna be straight forward . I might have to make a creative design on the removable cross brace .
Big issue having now is petrol tank design . Maybe you can shed some ideas on it .
Firstly my battery is staying in the back and the spare wheel well is remaining as might do rallies with this car . I would like a maximum of 40 liter tank . The tank would ideally be placed where the original tank sits . Question is should I slope the tank towards the right side away from the battery or place the tank on right side . Thought was to balance the rear with the 10kg battery on the left . I know the front is not even due to drivers seat on right . Ideas :idea:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I would get a 40 litre fuel cell and fix it under the boot floor in the same place as the 2.0 GTV has it. Keeps the centre of gravity low and offsets the weight of the driver being on the opposite side and together with the battery you got a maximum of 50kg rear ballast.

Putting the GTV6 tank high in the boot was/is a retrograde step for RHD cars. It also reduces the size of the carrying capacity in road touring situations.

WTF is with the 10kg battery for a race car? It only needs a motorcyle battery to keep it running. 2kg at the most.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

I would put the fuel tank behind the front passenger seat, semi next to the TA with a removable firewall over it and mount the battery in the front passenger seat area.
That way you are getting as much of your major masses as centrally located inside the wheel base and track dimensions.
But I'd back the engine though the front firewall, too :twisted:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin, ignore that post by the Dukster. He's been hitting that South Australian piss all afternoon and stumbled past the PC and thought, F...'em. I 'll mess with their heads a little, hhehhee, & hic.

:D :D

Ah, yes , the festive season is upon us..
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

MD wrote:Kevin, ignore that post by the Dukster. He's been hitting that South Australian piss all afternoon and stumbled past the PC and thought, F...'em. I 'll mess with their heads a little, hhehhee, & hic.

:D :D

Ah, yes , the festive season is upon us..
You sir, are a heinous liar!!!! :evil:

I ran out of beer yesterday............. :wall:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Our beers are still flowing :D we have had a Christmas Braai ( Barbeque) every day for the last four days at the Alfa powermods workshop . It's been huge ! The best part is watching the chaps leave in the twin turbo gtv's :shock:
And their is no shortage of them here .
Back to the project car - our rules state the tank must be in the rear boot compartment area and then it must be sealed off . Their will be two seats in this car ( one for navigator) . So yeah , gotta play with the given constraints .
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Some pics of inside been painted. Still got to repaint the outside but first assembly then touch up . Its not perfect as we have run out of time and the external is the main priority .
Attachments
gardredside.jpg
gardredside.jpg (108.41 KiB) Viewed 6997 times
gardredinside.jpg
gardredinside.jpg (120.32 KiB) Viewed 6997 times
gardredengine.jpg
gardredengine.jpg (153.65 KiB) Viewed 6997 times
Last edited by kevin on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.