Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Alfetta GTV Turbo - Race Car. Died Dec 1 -14. :(

Post by Mats »

So I've been meaning to move my Race Car out of my introduction thread for a while now but never got around to it until now.

For an introduction to the project see this link: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=78&start=135
It starts on page ten (to which the link takes you).

----------------- Project recap ---------------------

Played around in the garage yesterday and in the CAD today. It needs some refinement but should be fine with some tuning.

I'm pretty excited, finally I can do proper studies on the Alfa. :D

-

Well, since I already said that I will redesign the propshaft I think it's pretty obvious that it will be turbocharged...
Did a "5-minute-mock-up" in the CAD the other day.

:twisted:

-

Picked up the "new" rims today, 9x17". 235mm wide tires makes it a bit more durable. It will leave room for bigger brakes, good thing I already have the calipers. New Brembo 4-pots. :)

Ordered the intercooler and some other junk too. 8)

-

Did some cutting this weekend and all of a sudden the Intercooler fits. How about that. :)

Front view

Inlet needs some additional cutting for the pipe routing

Outlet side is done however, had a big cold-air hose there earlier.

Still waiting for pistons....
Damn americans. 8)

-

Got the rotors today, you know I had to take a comparison pic... :)

269x22 vs. 315x28.
Weight difference between the rotors, 800 grams... 8)

-

Engine long block works isn't really moving but the parts around it is:

Youtube link, Plenum Simulations

Never mind the graphics at the bend in between the IC tank and the TB, the time that went in to the mesh in that area was low.

-

Some more hardware...

-

Looks like I'll need to make new mounts :(

On the other hand the adaptors seem to fit just fine. :)

And the flange of course. :up:

Gear change indicator and oil pressure warning light.

The replacement meters for the center cluster. Hopefully I can trust these even when I drive... :roll:

-

Working on a new manifold design, the last model somehow got corrupted. :shock:
This one is however created using some actual scan data of the head and turbo placement as worked out in the car. So this one I'm putting much mor effort into getting compact.

Nice to be able to pack check before you actually are halfway through the build. Runners for #1 and #4 are just quick jobs, #1 will be made shorter and #4 will need to change due to the shape of #3.

Hoperfully I will be able to close the hood too! :wall:

-

Here we go, this will have to do.

And it even fits towards the head alright.

Lenghts (in the cad) was 511.4 - 507.3 - 493.4 - 503.5. You can probably optimize that further if you're in the mood but today shape goes before theoretical length. :)
I'm happy anyway.

-

Got some AN10 couplings for my oil system, nice and black.
Notice the AN6 stuff at the front, small... :)

Still very light though. 8)

Also made a new design of the turbo manifold, this is it. Will start cutting hardware this week.

Primary length down to around 415mm now. Nice and clean design too, I'm happy.
My welding guy is not so happy though. :lol:

-

Recap:
Did the design in the computer from some basic measurements of both the car and available parts (alu pipes, bends and runners), this is what came out of it after some adjustments and simulations.

And now I have finally gotten around to having it made up. I did all the boring stuff like cutting all the parts and fitting it all together and a friend welded it up. Turned out pretty nice.
The intake on the engine side will be shortened a bit so it will eventually clear the side of the engine bay. Naturally it will be cleaned and buffed to.

It will move about 25mm closer to the engine.

Resting on the screw for the TPS right now...

Prepared for a strap that takes the load off of the hoses during boost.

Photo taken through the TB, looks pretty cool. This is what I meant avout cleaning. :roll:

All the plenum work went so well I decided to start the wok on the instrument panel. There is some minor trimming left but you get the idea.

Looks pretty good. :)
Will fit some warning/indicator lights for high beams, lights, indicators and alternator.

-

Long weekend due to some stuff that happened ~2000 year ago gave me time to start one of the bigger posts on my todo-list; Updating the cage... :?

Replacing the single pipe in the door with two and adding one rearwards from the main hoop up to the rear wheel well. Still missing is the "Helmet cracker" that goes in in the upper rear corner of the door opening.

Yes, welding was challenging and yes I was incredibly frustrated at times. :evil:

-

The cage update is ongoing. The reason for not doing an X? Well, I wanted to keep it low in profile to not hit my elbow in it during driving (not kidding here), also to be able to keep it street legal the ingress/egress needs to be fast and simple for safety reasons. That means that a low profile X would drive a very shallow angle and that means a very complicated joint. The cons outweighs the pros by about a gazillion to one IMO -> two parallell bars. Remember, I'm only updating the cage because I have to due to regs. Otherwise I'd still have a single door bar.

Some pics:

The "Helmet cracker" 8)

Final layout

Basically I've been updating since -09 and the project has kept growing ever since. It started out as a simple engine swap but has turned out to be a complete update of pretty much all parts of the car. Nothing is untouched really.

-

I just got a huge box in the mail. I like getting stuff... :)

Three complete sets, only one from each pair shown in the pic. Helper springs to keep everything in place and to be able to change springs track-side without special tools.

They are not the same even though it's a bit difficult to spot in this useless picture...

Adaptors and the 4lbs helper.

Lockable aerocatch latches, so I don't have to worry when the car is out of sight. :)

Please don't ask for rates because you won't get an answer anyway at this point. :wink:

-

Did a lot of odd jobs picking up stuff that is better to have fixed before the weekend. Still managed to get some stuff done, like test-fitting the new rear springs and spring perches. :)

Bought some brushing tools when I was in the tool-store. Did a quick test on the plenum and the result was great, in just 10 minutes!
It doesn't remove any large scratches though but hey, it's racing parts. :)

Just to show the difference:

-

Pistons anyone?

New. Complete with rings and pins.

-

Got my parts for the harness build today, big box of wires! :shock:

Big list...

Some pieces of wire.

Actually, 72 different colors and lengths... :shock:
Modular fusebox too, and all the terminals I will ever need (I hope)... :)

-

Progress pics, so not perfectly clean and so on.

A cover panel behind the MSD box.

Finally a real connector instead of tape-sticky spade terminals... :)

A small one for the tacho

More to follow...

-

Got some stuff done today, the intruments are pretty much ready to go back in just need some ring terminals for the illumination earth and hook up the signal wires that are already prepared. :)

The screws will be switched out and the piece of alu will be painted black. A couple of screws at the lower edge is coming too.

The rear, the white wires are illumination.

Shrink-tube with glue to take the strain and add some stiffnes, exra shrink-tube in the plus wires for insulation.

It will be nice to get the instrument panel back in the car, it feels so much less of a car without it.

-

Pistons everybody, pistons! :D

Compared to the first ones

What we see on the pictures above is the result of my specs on a turbo piston for my 2.0 Nord engine that's going into the GTV. Lower compression and deeper valve pockets. The piston on the right on the last two pictures is what I got the first time around when they didn't make the modifications I asked for. Quite a difference indeed.

So, liners are modified as we speak, small end of rods are adjusted and the crank, flywheel and pulley are individually balanced and as an assembly. Crank is modified with grub screws in the oil holes. No lightening of the crank.

Hopefully I will be able to share pictures of the actual build pretty soon, maybe that will be more fun then "just parts" on a table. :)

-

Got brakes! :)

Nice to finally add some go-fast parts.

-

A set of new ES30 rear discs suddenly appeared yesterday in the ads, they disappeared just as fast only to reappear in my garage later yesterday evening... :)

Good times! Will prolly add the 105 series caliper mod at the same time. 8)

-

A package arrived today. :)

A set of brand new Kolbenschmidt liners. :D

Time to make some progress! :twisted:

-

Shortblock - Check!

-

PICS! :)

Starting a new job tomorrow, more commuting time... :roll:

-

Ok, finally some GTV stuff. :)

Moved the car a while back, now most of the stuff is in the right place. Unbelievable how much stuff one can collect over the years... :roll:

Anyway, here is a pic from tonight.

-

Huge step forward today, dropped in the engine for the first time!

Everything fits, big relief!

Short way from the FMIC to the throttle, just a 90 deg elbow and Bob's your uncle!
Just need to figure out where to put the dump valve... :?

Nice clearance all around the plenum, nice. TS throttle body, 70mm.

Yes the compressor housing is quite large, what would you expect? :shock:
Quite tight to fit in the wastegare aqtuator as well, hopefully it won't hit the body due to engine movements.

Overview of the engine compartment, notice the forward move of the turbo compared to the stock 75T manifold I use as the inner part of my fixture.
Naturally the alternator doesn't fit in it's usual place and will be moved to the right hand side, it's been positioned there for years in this car actually.

Moving the turbo forward helps if you want to build a nice downpipe, will probably make the life a little easier for the brake and steering components too... 8)

Nice and roomy under the plenum, for now... :roll:

Another shot of the turbo... 8)

Next task: Design the cooling system. Where do I put the pump for instance? Hmmm...

-

The instrument panel is back in place and the bouncing Alfa gauges are now replaced with Autometer units.
The new electrical system is not completely done as you can see. ;) Mostly the logging stuff and the engne management left, the new fuse box is in place and most of the wires are there.

The "stereo hole" will be replaced by a switch panel. I still have some warning lights like high beams, you never know what happens. :D

New main battery switch bracket, I now reach it with both hands while strapped down without having to really strech my arms which is nice.
The battery cable is now protected by a Nylon braiding, looks nice too. Yes, the three point seatbelt stuff is coming off any day now... ;)

Battry box, main fuse (!), fuel lines and a mount for the DL1 on the cage.
The bubble wrap is protecting the fresh (as in never seen daylight) paint on my updated cage.

Front part of the fuel lines, the fuse box and my lovely MSD ignition amplifier which together with my MSD Blaser2 coil is going to ignite everything in the combustion chamber, whatever it might be. :)

It's going to be very tight between the hoses from the intercooler to the throttle body...
Maybe time to think about putting the dump valve on the intercooler?

Trying out possible positions of the water pump and alternator, not too simple to make it all work.

Without the plenum it's more obvious, main track is to route the water hose between the distributor and the engine block.
The fuel lines on the engine side of the firewall is also visible and the fuel pressure regulator in a possible placement.

-

Here we go...

Sweet 3D puzzle, less then 30 pieces but damn it's difficult to match... :o

One of my tame Finnish welders, this one is named Mikael AKA Micke (yes, coincident indeed) :)

Held it next to the engine tonight, looks great!

So now I'll break it apart and let Micke weld it up, I painted his house god damnit! :lol:
I'm on a roll now, feeling good. :)

-

Tonights test fitting is a success. :)
Funny how small it looks when it's in place. Don't get me wrong, I like it!

The red part is a fixture that simulates the turbo flange, great help when fiddling around.

Nice and low profile, good for hood temp I imagine.

Also has room towards the head/cam cover, good if I need a heat sheild.

Plenum in place, nice package. The plenum looks very wide but It fit's great in the car.

-

ECU in place. :)

Still a lot of wiring to be done though.

-

Got the pipes back on Saturday, didn't look like they had warped much actually. Very big sigh of relief!

Slight color change due to the heat and it will turn a bit darker after use, I think it's a really cool feature with stainless and it looks great.
Now I just have to tack the pieces together and have it welded up. :)

Managed to set the cam timing during the weekend, finally. Not sure why it took me this long but now it's done. Pulled the lobes apart just a smidge to promote "low end" response and torque, basically move the VE-max lower. No need to optimize everything for 6500rpm when I have to have the wastegate open... :idea:

ECU is fitted, engine harness is starting to find it's way into the car and the main electrical harness is coming together. I'm sure looking forward to be able to check off that part of the todo-list. :)

-

Some more pics from tonight:

Try not to judge my welding of the collector too harshly, first time on a TIG in about 18 years... :wall:
It's not finished, I just tacked it together for a friend to finish weld it. 8)

-

Turbo assembly... :)

Hopefully there will be more varied pictures from now on... :wink:

-

The AN12 oil return from the turbo needs to be changed, the hose will be about 50mm long and needs to be angled about 45*. Not going to happen. Anyone that has fitted an AN coupling will know this to be impossible to even fit when properly assembled... :roll:

Tried to assemble the AN4 teflon line for the oil feed. Haven't felt that kind of rage in a while... Maybe pay someone to make it for me will be better for my health. :shock:

On the other hand... The manifold is done!!!!!
It's now fitted to the engine and it looks and fits great. A bit tight to the engine mount but the EGT-sender is well clear. So will the brake and clutch MC be when everything is in the car. Not something you can say about the original position, quite the opposite.

Snapped some pics of the exhaust gaskets, this is not news for anyone who test fits everything before torquing it down but it's still a heads-up for anyone. Had to grind away a few millimeters to be sure it won't enter the exhaust tract. The pics are in the most favourable position, if its pushed down-back it protrudes a good 1.5-2mm into the exhaust stream. What about changing the tooling for this part? no? :P

Maybe I should drop the whole thing into the engine bay this weekend? Then I can start to add stuff to the engine and wire it up. :)
Also need to figure out the positioning of some parts like ignition coil, breather tanks and such. Fuel and oil lines anyone?

-

Finally managed to squeeze in som Lab-time... (or cave-time depending on your standards 8) )

Plenum is DONE!
Intake is DONE!
Fuel installation in the engine bay is DONE!
New cable for the main switch (FIA) is installed, ALMOST! :wink:

The plenum has got the mounts, MAT and a bunch of take-off spots for FPR, Boost gauge, By-pass valve and MAP. I also brushed it so it has the finish I had in mind the whole time. Oh, by the way it's not done yet, I need to anodize it (natural) so it keeps, otherwise it gets ugly quick with all the fat fingers and oil and such.
You can also see the coolant temp sender and the Autometer sender in the larger hole on the right. The O-ring injector conversion is also pretty obvious.

MAT position, hopefully it wont melt!

Fuel pressure regulator, hoses and custom fuel rail. Pretty neat istallation, the closeness of the regulator to the bulkhead fittings forced me to make the funny looking loop. The fuel rail is a nice piece, it has a small flange on top for fastening. I will use the old L-jet injector holes for that. Lines up perfectly.
The electronic thing on the regulator is a pressure transducer by the way, always nice to be able to check the fel pressure in the logs, if not to rule it out if there is a problem.

Maybe not the sexiest upgrade but since I moved the main switch from the center stack to tunnel I needed a longer control cable. After removing the old one I couldn't believe it had actually worked, the control cable itself consisted of a solid wire running in a coiled up wire with no liner. Even a very small kink in that would create spectacular amounts of friction, and boy were there friction...
Anyway, I found a nice route and made a small but stout bracket for the switch-end of the cable. Now I just have to find a small end piece to make it work. Very smooth action!

-

A top view for you Kev.

Note the alu pipe test fitted on the turbo, it will be cut to match the intercooler of course, there will be a straight bit added.

Also found this little beauty! An adapted from M10x1 to 2x1/8" NPT! Very cheap and I didn't have to spend a single second making one myself! :D
It's actually a VDO spare.

Overview with various sensors and plugs for standard sensor positions that doesn't fit with the new fuel rail.

This is how the switch turned out, very nice.

This is my corner by the way...

----------------- Present Day ---------------------

The project is now in the nice part where I start to see an end of it and have good motivation, not too many large investments still to come and pretty much all the technical solutions are there (even though all of them are not implemented yet).
Engine is almost done, some final stuff like sensors and wiring needs to be done but that has started as well.
The middle and front part of the fuel system is there, the wire harness is in place but not completely done, cage is done, etcetera...
Still need to design the exhaust, cooling system, turbo pipes, some brake stuff (brackets), a lot of air ducts and cooling parts for brakes/oil/gearbox and the fuel tank but compared to what I have checked off on. My todo list it's really nothing. :)

Stay Tuned!
Last edited by Mats on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Alfetta GTV Turbo - Race Car update. 85% done.

Post by kevin »

Aha , I see its here your link . Is I possible to put a whole bunch of pics of this build as a summary . I put some chaps in SA onto this link . Yeah it might take a while but this car is so good especially the turbo manifold fabrication , oh the intake off course , could go on an on :D
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Wow Mats... That top view looks brilliant. A turbo four with an exhaust manifold like that just looks so at home between those shock towers!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Kevin: Yeah, that's the plan but I won't do it right now because it will take forever... ;)

Jules: Thanks mate! I hope the rest will not look as good some day.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Ok, so I did the recap job.

Will test your patience if you're on a slow connection though... :roll: :lol:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
gtv6sa
Silver
Silver

Post by gtv6sa »

Your wing is too small to be effective and not high enough to generate sufficient downforce. It is better to have a 2 piece wing level with the top of the roof in the airstream where it is most effective with the top flap adjustable to prevent less drag, you also need a "Gurney flap"
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Geez , now that's a summary . You do not realise all the work when you see all this summary . :shock:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

gtv6sa wrote:Your wing is too small to be effective and not high enough to generate sufficient downforce. It is better to have a 2 piece wing level with the top of the roof in the airstream where it is most effective with the top flap adjustable to prevent less drag, you also need a "Gurney flap"
This has been covered in the original thread but there are a number of reasons to why I chose this wing:
1. It was available and affordable
2. It's not a backyard guess but an actual old F1 design and has been proven to work very well on a large number of GT cars in various trims
3. It has a Gurney.

I agree that it's not in any way the optimum way to max aero grip but compared to the option to not have a wing at all it's pretty bad ass! 8)
There is actually a part in the rules for our series that involves a breaking point for calculations regarding maximum chord of 180mm and it's a benefit to stay below that for me. The supports will be redone to allow the wing to mount more rearward then in the pics and I'm thinking it might actually be able to work together with the small duck-tail in the original GTV design (i have a gurney to fit on the tailgate).
A ge wing mounted 1m higher than the roof with a 2m span would of course be much better but then again there are plenty of parts on the car that is not "optimum" or even close for obvois reasons, the front suspension could be designed much better and the rear could be done about 30Kg lighter if I went F1 style independent but that's not in the spirit of the car.
I think this wing is a great fit both in price/performance and look/feel.

Am I making sense?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gtv6sa
Silver
Silver

Post by gtv6sa »

In one of the photos , the ignition key is still in the steering lock! and the heater box is still intact. If you are intending to use this as a track car only, get rid of the steering lock because if it "turmed off" in emergency, the steering lock will render you with no steering, also if the heater core bursts you will have scalding hot water all over your feet- safety first!
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

The heater could be handy since Mats lives a little higher to the Northpole as most of us. :wink:

But maybe forming a small 'splash shield' from aluminium is a solution for the hot-feet problem?

Removing the steering lock and the housing is a good idea, in case of an accident that thing is near your kneecap. :(
Drive it like you stole it...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The heater has served me well on a couple of occasions, not because I was cold (if you're cold in a race car you're driving an open top LeMans car or doing something terribly wrong) but because in the rain the perspiration from a driver and the moisture in the car coupled with a hot floor will fog up the windows really fast!
Sitting properly in a race car means that there is no way in hell you will reach the windscreen, see my point? Yes, you can solve this with a lightweight fan and an electric heater of some kind but I find that I have other stuff to spend time on (see above) and therefore the heater stays!
The spash shiled sounds like a plan though, but on the other hand I don't understand why this is more important in a race car than in a street car? I even have proper clothes in the race car...

The starter key also works and is a proven concept in road cars so again, why change? I should really use the FIA main switch anyway.
The knee damage is an issue though but again, the very low seat and high steering column should minimize the exposure. I kept the cover for that exact reason actually!

Can't wait to do the final preps of the engine and get it back into the car so I can finish up the wiring, that will tidy. Up the car A LOT! :)
Then the cooling lines for water and oil can be finalized and the exhaust will be designed.
At the moment I'm looking at dual sidepipes. Hopefully it's possible or I have some worrying stuff to deal with. Looks good after initial checks so hoefully it will be done.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

Haven't been here for a while... Wow Mats you did a very nice job!
Can't wait to see and hear it on YouTube!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Thanks!

Yeah, I wanna hear it too, I'm in a hole now. Too much work and money needed elsewere.
Slow progress. :|
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Mats.. Nice..

just as a matter of info, in my last race, (besides the fact that I nearly lost a VERY expensive motor), one of my water pipes, that actually runs close to the bulkhead, BURST during the race....I got BOILING hot water pouring into the cockpit, fortunately, I was turning right at the time, hence most of the water ended up in the passenger foot well (Right hand drive car)....BUT some did end up on my side, and clothing or not, I got a bad burn on my left calf.... so, protection makes sense....