Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: "Patches" MD's Final Racing Project

Post by MD »

The following work is not radical but I have not these seen minor modifications elsewhere. It is my standard practice. When installing large anti-roll bars, the original fixings tend to crack unless strengthened up.
Please note that welds are not shown as complete. I am also using a gas-less flux core MIG wire and so the weld puddle does not flow as a typical weld which makes for a less than "normal looking" MIG weld.
Attachments
Original Anti-Roll Bar mount.JPG
Original Anti-Roll Bar mount.JPG (223.88 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The fix.
Attachments
Plating up the void.JPG
Plating up the void.JPG (232.89 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Don't forget the underside
Attachments
Underside of Roll Bar mount.JPG
Underside of Roll Bar mount.JPG (242.46 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Integrate the side plate and bottom plate during the weld.
Attachments
Plated mountig face.JPG
Plated mountig face.JPG (243.79 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Because this car will use coil overs, the damper tower will carry all the suspension stress. It should therefore be strengthened up to take the load and triangulated to distribute this load.
Attachments
Shock tower underside reinforcement.JPG
Shock tower underside reinforcement.JPG (239.18 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Engine bay side
Attachments
Plug welding plating to shock tower.JPG
Plug welding plating to shock tower.JPG (229.39 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Part of the triangulation mounts
Attachments
Engine bay cross bracing mount.JPG
Engine bay cross bracing mount.JPG (238.28 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Oooh I like this. I will absolutely copy this. I have the sway bar reinforcement plates already in place. But the side pieces seem like a good invention. Good ole Aussie ingenuity, wonder if it would get the seal of approval from the land of the birth of democracy.... :mrgreen:
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Top job !! This is going to be a very interesting thread. Glad you raised the pick up points for cross bracing in engine bay at the shock towers as I had to space it up quite a bit to get the bar to cross over the plennum.

Is it possible to go dry sump on new project so you can move the engine back a bit . But hey .. you have not told us what power plant is going in . I can see a few months of suspense and interesting reading.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Md , I'm sensing a possible twin spark supercharged motor in there seen that you have it perfected by now :)
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Ah it's a slow process to get up and went after Christmas holidays. All the engineering shops are walking around scratching goolees and finding
somewhere to hide having got used to the layback of the holiday season. As the system inches forward, I might be getting some of my parts to install.

The engine remains an uresolved issue and is going to keep me guessing for a while.

In the meantime Zeefa, here's the stitch up of the brace locator with the bolts threaded into the captive nuts inside the mount.

At the moment not much progress to report on, I have finished the full cage weld and it is painted. Big deal.
Attachments
Cross Brace Mount.JPG
Cross Brace Mount.JPG (225.2 KiB) Viewed 6012 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Story so far is a bit like the ducks in the pond. Not much to see up top but it's all happening below.
My search for a respectable engine that will make this car contemporary on the track has been huge. Everybody has a budget and I am no exception. I just cannot use an open cheque book and place anything I want in the engine bay. Nor can I just ask a mechanical workshop, knock yourself out and make me an engine. The bank might object. That's never going to be my style. It has no agony in it. :D
So to prolong the agony I soldier on. In desperation I have considered some excellent non Alfa motors but when push comes to shove, I come back to the same perplexion. How much of an Alfa is this car? So as good (and better) that they can be, I eventually return home and get back on the treadmill and the residual power problems.
In ignorance but with high hopes I purchased a 1750 Giulietta Turbo engine. Potential to make lots of power, light at the front end, it has an Alfa badge on it. You would think, EUREEKA !!. I found the Holy Grail. When I crash landed back to earth, I discovered that you cannot run this engine outside of its original chassis, namely the Giulietta for a hundred reasons. From my research, there is no after market programmable ECU that can run this engine that has the parameters required to run this complicated direct injection motor. To make that happen you have to pay someone to decode that information from a running Giulietta and then use that info to start mapping. Basic factory stuff. Too much time and money for me. So it's an interesting engine but presently useless.
In my quest to find a substitute motor, I want to extend my gratitude to members of this Forum who have done their best to help out from Athens, The Netherlands, Finland and The UK. The actual names are withheld for their own sanity. :D Thank you gentlemen.
Tell you more when I know more.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

May I know who this fine gentleman in Athens is? I only know one olive oil smuggler there....it's not him is it?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Reveal my sources ?? !!
Do you know what you are asking?
The man has contacts with people that have contacts that have names that correspond to numbers that lead to certain bars that have cells where people spend time to gaze at canaries out the window and dream of what street vendor hot dogs once tasted like.
Not on you Nelly. I still enjoy being on the top side of the grass.
Just between you and me, he is masquerading as a street stall vendor wearing dark glasses and holding a white cane and cup flogging shriveled olives in glass jars that say made in Greece but I bet they are Macedonian-but I never told you.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

What an anti climax..

So the journey begins
Attachments
1.8 Alfetta Motor.JPG
1.8 Alfetta Motor.JPG (234.35 KiB) Viewed 5515 times