Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

i was under the impression that the door bars work like a crumple zone in a side impact. has anyone seen the honeybomb composite filler you can add to the h bars for impact absorption. i think i saw it in the most recent scca sports car mag...

all jokes about nascar aside.. they do crash alot and if there is anything to learn from all that crashing it is just that the body can only take so many g's before it says no more. even if your accident is only a mild spin you still have to worry about the p2 that you passed in the twisties flying down the back straight without brakes and no time to alter his line.
i will take those extra 3 inches anyday if it means that i wont break my arm or leg.

in the states the scca does not require those door bars, but they are recomended. isn't the scca a subdivision of the fia?

V
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The strength in the side bars comes from the fact that they are straight and are welded to the main hoop and front hoop. The best thing is to also add bars from the connection points in the hoops forward to the body/suspension points and rearward to the body/suspension points. That way if you have a side impact the tubes need to stretch and that takes a lot of energy.
If they are bent like the pics above they will straighten until it's straight with a kink in it where the force is applied and then it will strech the pipes, by that time the intrusion will be much bigger. Not good.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

I hate NASCAR myself however, it is worth mentioning that the advantages of "NASCAR" style side-impact bars are a known from the many crashes they experience daily!

It is an engineered design and hardly the workings of some back-yard privateer...
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yeah, they never crash in rally or real racing either... :wink:

Looking at NASCAR cages though it looks like they have about 10 horisontal bars and are interconnected at several places and that's only what you see in the "door hole". Quite over designed and not really any similaritys with your cage I'm afraid.
Is your design a "best practice" in any class rules or don't you intend to race it? Will it pass scrutineering?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

The builder(s) - two sets of pro-fabricating eye-balls were on it - used the current SCCA rule-book for guide-lines. Should be fine over here...

My original goal (for Jes and I - if you recall the epic battles here between the "street-able track car" and "track-able street-car" threads), was to build a pretty cool 24 valve street-toy that could be driven to the track! What came later was all kinds of expensive shiny shit and a 400+ hp motor with solid lifters etc etc.

The roll-cage went serious, so did the brakes, the suspension and just about everything else. Now - for me at least - if it fits somewhere within a particular set of rules where the car can be competitive, then great - I'll race it there! I don't want to be tossed in a "GT" category for example (just because I have x-number of roll-cage connecting points) and be pitted against tube-frame silhouette cars, TT Porsches, 7 litre Vettes and V10 Vipers with my little budget and 3.7 NA motor.

I'd rather just hang around the track-day scene and chase Z06 street/track Vettes. 3.8 litre 911s and modified NSXs. We also have some guys here running some pretty fast 200+ horsepower 2000 pound track-Civics, caged E36 and E46 BMWs, S2000s ad FAST GTVs... Next year one buddy will be there with an S2000-powered older RWD Celica!

This car will fit in most any "run-what-you-brung" event. Silver State, One Lap, Border-Challenge, Targa New Foundland etc. (Whish I was in SA - would love to run the Ultimate Street Car Challenge, Supercar Shootout, All-Tar Rally etc etc.)
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Sounds like you guys have way more stuff to drive over there. Here I don't even think you can build a car that can meet regulations for both rally and racing. I don't think you can even use a 116 car for rallying come to think of it. Pretty strickt regulations.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Maurizio wrote:Came across some pics of a imsa replica.
Engine bay and the front nicely stiffened. I like what I see 8)
Just had a look at these pics again on a decent monitor... there's a fair bit going on there that I missed first time round!
Got any more pics Maurizio?
So we've got a front mount rack, drysumped (? can't see the drysump bits, but I thinks there's a remote mount filter in the front right of the bay?) engine pulled back a fair ways, and 3 timing belts, with one being a big fat gilmer belt, a space frame built into the factory sheet metal... where's the water pump? 12 injectors, flatslides...
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I imagine there will be some kind of air-box around those periscopes? Can anyone say fireball? :shock:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

:D I was in love right away... here more, http://www.hurricaneracing.nl/gallery%20imsa75.htm

I somewhere had more pics of the space frame... can't find them on my pc :oops:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Maurizio wrote::D I was in love right away... here more, http://www.hurricaneracing.nl/gallery%20imsa75.htm

I somewhere had more pics of the space frame... can't find them on my pc :oops:
Shiny!
I know what losing pics is like... I've completely lost 4 or 5 hard drives in the last 7 years, and each time i've lost stacks of pics/data/other crap. And of course each time it happens, some of the stuff is just not out there anymore.
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

i think US emissions control would have a problem with the open injectors...

But i do love the waterpump replacing face plate and the pulley setup!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Does this car have about 400 bhp? From a 3.0 right? Looks like 2-stage injection like the 155 V6 Ti.
Dr. Alban
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Zamani wrote:Does this car have about 400 bhp? From a 3.0 right? Looks like 2-stage injection like the 155 V6 Ti.
What I've heard/read it has 400 hp, a Ferrari 550 maranello FIA GT Hewland gearbox and a one piece carbon drive shaft.
Haven't seen the car several years now. The owner drove last year a 156 stw in the dutch ar challenge.
But i'm not that well informed anymore, due to a lack of spare time.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79