Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
MD
Verde
Verde

Tyres Best and Worst

Post by MD »

IN DRY CONDITIONS,

What has been your best and worst experience in tyre brands & models on hot bitumen?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Since I'm based in the US, and I have had experience with the Kumho V700 Victoracers, I will say that these are damn good tires. They should last about 3-4 weekends of practice and sprint races.

Pros: Good tread life, grippy, priced right ($150+ for 225/50/16), flippable (inside to outside and vice versa).

Cons: HEAVY

If you are really serious about winning and finishing midpack is not enough, consider the Hoosiers.

Also From what I have read, the Toyo Proxes RA-1 is very good all round tire and great for racers who want to participate in as many races as he can and not have to change them out every weekend.
Dr. Alban
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

RA-1? Did you see my video? The Giulia in front of me is using RA-1, that is why I catch him so fast after about two laps (when his tires overheated)
They are not good IMO.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Tyres

Post by MD »

What about the Dunlop stuff?
gtv6fan
Silver
Silver

Post by gtv6fan »

I am using dunlop sp sport 5000 all season asymmetrical. These things are so sticky they make the road seem like it is made out of glue.
Drive fast and take chances.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

GTV6FAN,

SP5000 isn't exactly a race tire. I think MD was thinking along the D01J .
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

in dry conditons? how come no one has said this? falken azenis !

they have useable features, and have decent bang for the buck... right now they are moving to a new type and superseeding the old one we have all known.... sometimes this isn't a good thing. a la pirellis. guess we'lll have to wait on that one.

no idea on dunlop. i guess you mean the sports. I had dunlops as OEM fitment (prolly real low range) and they scared me they were so bad.
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

ahh, is this track only or dual use? as in streetable?
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Best:
Hankook F200 240/640R18 + 270/680R18

Worst:
Retreaded
Technic T700 205/50R15
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Micke: Sounds like slicks? :D

Dunlop has the D01J, the Super Sport Race and a bunch of Slicks, the Super Sport Race is more angled towards high performance street use but is on the way out as I've heard. The D01J is supposed to be very nice.

Yoko Advan 032R:
Excellent tire with great grip, a little unsharp right at the edge but on the other hand you don't have to get the wheels set up right on the money to go fast. Very good wear rate.
Expensive.

Bridgestone RE540S:
Suits larger/powerful cars a little better but are vary fast for smaller too, great prices. Not as good in the wet as the Yokos

Kumho V700:
As fast as the other two above but wears out really quickly if you drive them hard. Hard Kumhos equal Soft Yoko...

Pirelli P-Zero C:
Old design, not as fast as the othes.

Pirelli P-Zero Corsa:
Weird tire with some of the sizes have the inner parts from the P-Zero C and some from the road tire P-Zero Rosso (which isn't suited for track use) and the only way to find out is to buy them and try them...
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Of course.

This topic is after all "Race cars...." and the question was what's the best on dry.

If we talk street tires, the magazine Sport Auto just tested these tires. Fastest on dry was Hankook Z211. Don't recall the rest of the ranking but Kumho, Yokohama, Michelin, Pirelli, etc where there.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

I can vouch for the Hankook Z211 s .I'm on my second season with these things (on my 86 GTV6) and it looks good for finishing up this one.Here's a link to a similar discussion on the Alfabb.As I stated there I can't believe how quickly some of you guys burn your tires up.BTW no affiliation with Hankook other than they sponser our Solo1 club.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthr ... race+tires
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I'm on my second season on a set of A032R's... ;)

Hankooks sounds interesting though, I need to look into them. :)
Micke: maybe you could drop a set off of the moving lorry on your way up? :D
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Tyres

Post by MD »

Just to reaffirm the original request which was to share info on racing tyres only for tarmac application in the dry.

Thanks
aggarcia
Silver
Silver

Post by aggarcia »

The best wearing with good grip has to be the Toyo RA-1. Some mentioned that it had problems, but it must have been poor driver. I have raced on Toyo's since BFG dropped the TA R1. The RA1 has almost equal the stick on the Victor Racer, but will not over heat like the Kumho.

Last season we switched over to the Avon Tech R. They have 95% of the stick of a Hoosier, but they will wear twice as long. I can not afford to race Hoosiers as they are noyl good for two weekends. Ran the Avons in the rain and a six hour race. The sprint race was in the rain and the GTV6 won - about 12 sec on the rest of the ITS field. The enduro at the end, we were running on 3 of the 4 original tires. The fourth died because a co-driver damaged it while fighting with a SRF and SM for a corner. The three originals showed mininal wear and should be good for severala other weekends.

Bad race tires - Yokohama A032 and 048. Many, many years ago I used to run on A001. A very good tires. Since then Yoko has not kept up with the competition.