Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Dry Sumps;

Post by junglejustice »

Anyone here running a dry-sump?

Dorino says that real race cars have dry sumps - will post pics of the units that he produces. Basically anything from 2 stage to 5 stage units.

Experienced engine builders swear they make power due to the reduced crank-case windage factor. (Same pricipal as the Pauter "diamond" shaped rods versus the cupped I-Beam design popular with Arrow, Farmdon and Carrillo....)

I know that Julian B. in the UK runs one of the Largo units from Dorino.

Curious who here has 'em.
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
milanoguy
Silver
Silver

Post by milanoguy »

Hi

I have spoken to a few dry sump companies here in the USA, all of them were very unhelpful. They did say that I should try and find out from the engine manufacturer the flow rate in gallons/hours of the stock oil pump and from that they could tell me which one of their pumps would be a good fit, capacity wise. Does anybody on this list know the flow rate? It's not listed in the repair manual.

My plan is to drive the dry sump oil pump from the timing belt and turn the existing auxillary pulley into an idler pulley. This would also require going to a distributorless ignition.

Bye for now
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

What about an electric oil pump for dry sump cars? Are those pumps reliable enough?
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Is there one available? Sounds like it would be awfully big and heavy, lots of power...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

I have gone dry sump on my Rouse gtv6

I have pictures of the sump before a small clearence mod was made for the crossmember!

Can increase power from reduced windage, but not much. main gain is more stable oil pressure in really long turns, the ability to set the oil pressure when the oil is up to temp with the adjustable pump, and much more room for a full race manifold. It's really tight down there with the standard sump.

Its a really nice mod for the 156 based blocks, as it's difficult to adapt the original sump for rwd, and the Glenwood alloy sump, whilst great for the street, is way too deep for a race car, as it limits the amount you can lower the front.
Andrew b
milanoguy
Silver
Silver

Post by milanoguy »

Hi Andrew

Please, Please, Please, give us more details and some pictures on your dry sump system. In particuar how did you size the pump?

Where I live(Houston, Texas), the roads are full of potholes and also big bumps. Years ago I dinged the hell out of a Fiat 2000 oil pan when I inadvertenly drove thru a huge pothole.

Most of the V6 sumps I have seen show evidence of hitting the road surface.

Bye
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Hey Milanoguy;
Hopefully we'll get some shots from Andrew's dry-sump set-up soon... I can help get you the right dry-sump from South Africa - straight from Dawie de Villiers - setup for your motor...

This will most likely be a 3-stage pump from Dorino at Largo (he built our 6ITB setups for the 3.7 litres) - nice-nice billet aluminum units, complete, ready for your motor for around 1200 USD.

Send me a PM with some details at www.glenwoodalfa.com and I will send you pics and final pricing. We can talk off-line about your setup, motor type etc.
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Milanoguy/JJ

My setup is the same a Julian's, with cast sump from single seater modified to fit Alfa V6. The sump pan needs a small bit chopped out of the rear to clear the crossmember, but Glenwood would usually do this for you.

I am going with a pump from Pace products in the UK - look at website for pump capacity

www.paceproducts.co.uk

Pump on Julians setup is very good also, but needed body re working to fit in engine bay - just extra clearance where the aircon pump would normally sit on a road car. Pace pump has flat mounts that allow it to fit flush onto engine block, avoiding the inner wing. I think Dawie is working on some modified mounts to avoid this though!
Attachments
IMG_2295.jpg
IMG_2295.jpg (42.37 KiB) Viewed 10877 times
IMG_2296.jpg
IMG_2296.jpg (42.33 KiB) Viewed 10877 times
IMG_2297.jpg
IMG_2297.jpg (22.39 KiB) Viewed 10874 times
IMG_2298.jpg
IMG_2298.jpg (42.62 KiB) Viewed 10874 times
Andrew b
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Milanoguy,

I would add that a dry sump will work very well on a racecar, but it's very impractical to use on a street car. Pump tanks, oil lines, plus the crankcase breather system,and catch tank will all have to move inside the car.

Track and racecar prep - yes

Streetcar - should not be in here :wink: :wink:
Andrew b
gtv6fan
Silver
Silver

Post by gtv6fan »

Why not move the all the equipment into the trunk for street use?
Drive fast and take chances.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

gtv6fan wrote:Why not move the all the equipment into the trunk for street use?
Andrew.b wrote:
Streetcar - should not be in here :wink: :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
emBOSSed
Silver
Silver

Dry Sump Pan

Post by emBOSSed »

I may have missed it but can anyone tell me where I can get just the drysump pan shown in the pictures? This is perfect for my application.

Thanks,