Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Driving Pacific Raceway in Washington State

Post by MerrilGordon »

Here are my thoughts on my drive at Pacific Raceway during the National Convention.

This is kind of long, but I thought some of you may enjoy reading it. If you have driven the track, your input is welcome.

I got to run on the track about a month before so was able to shake some of the rust off my driving skills.

Check out http://www.pacificraceways.com then choose Track Info and Track Specs to see the layout.

My car has a rebuilt 3.0L with S-pistons that’s running pretty good now but is otherwise stock (including very mild cams). I ran the track with 15x7” wheels and 205/50-15 tires that are probably rather hard. Still much more stable than the stock 15x6” wheels and 205/55-15 tires I ran the month before. My 82GTV6 has Shankle anti-roll bars front and rear but stock shocks and springs. The front track rods are connected to the body with polyurethane bushings but otherwise the rest of the suspension is stock. Transmission is stock with the 3.42 R&P

What did I learn at the track ? I think the primary element was that the car is short on suspension, brakes, and traction, but adequate on power. While my skills could use more improvement, especially from turns 4 through 7, it’s apparent there is no need for more power until the rest of the car is brought into line.

I found the car could reach 120mph on the main straight with potential for more top end, but that speed was the limit I wanted to go when rounding Turn 1. Turn 1 is a slight turn to the right that includes (I think) a slight down hill approach to Turn 2. One always takes the corner flat out, then after that you can look for the braking zones leading into 2. The car felt pretty unsettled after Turn 1. I figure there is too much rear brake bias as the car feels pretty squirrelly leading into the braking zone while applying the brakes. My rear tires would break loose if I overdid it on the braking here.

Turn two is a big 180° sweeper. Not all that technically demanding skill wise but it does take some nerve to arrive there with just the right speed to make the corner. Just drift through the turn and hit the apex like you’re supposed to once the initial turn is made. My car was traction limited to 60mph with the engine turning approximately 3700 rpm in 3rd gear. Transaxle cars really shine in this situation. When I increased throttle the tire slip angles would increase, back off the throttle a little and the car would tighten its line. No oversteer or understeer, totally neutral. Nice.

Third gear seems well suited to this track. When exiting the apex at Turn 2 with the car starting to straighten out, I’d mash the throttle to the floor. The car would continue to drift a little which carried it out to the far right side of the track. From there it’s a steep down hill sprint to the 3A switchback with no rest for the brakes. With more traction and brakes I could have shifted into 4th and pressed a head a little more but instead left the tranny in 3rd as I would have totally cooked the brakes trying to make the corner. I can see this location will be a place for time improvements with a better setup.

Turns 3A and 3B require sticky tires. Other transaxle cars could really make up time on me from the down hill lead-in to 3A through the exit of 3B. Without a good LSD I couldn’t apply max power till the car was good and straight after the 3B exit. Just after the apex my engine was turning 3900 rpm in second gear at about 40mph. A nice exit rpm where the torque is quite strong. I think the taller Milano 2nd gear with 3.55r&p would work fine here as even though the revs would be lower (3500rpm), a strong engine could pull it and enable more speed before shifting into 3rd.

The track from 3B to 4 is relatively straight but not flat. Just keep the pedal down and enjoy the acceleration as the car climbs then dips along the way. I reach approximately 70mph in third gear at 4400rpm. The engine can continue to pull the car faster but the chassis won’t handle the speed for the Turn 4/5 section so I don’t push it any harder than that.

Turns 4, 5A, & 5B are the most technically challenging and fun part of the track. It’s a right followed by a sharp left, then after a moment another right. To be quick here you have to have the driving skills to place the car in the correct position while staying at the traction limit. Not easy, and without a good suspension setup you just won’t be quick here. If you enter the car in the wrong position through this section you can forget about a good lap time as you’ll be out of place all the way through turn 6. Get it right and it feels like you’ve skied a mogul run with perfect balance. Lots of fun, a challenge, . . . and I’m slow here. I need more seat time, better suspension, and more tire. The car feels too floaty a bobbing and rolling up and down on its suspension. I do get it right once in a while and can feel it when I do. I’m still in 3rd here running from 3700 to 4400 rpm going into Turn 6.

If you get 4, 5A, & 5B all correct you’re set up for 6 and can really push on the loud peddle, hit the apex, drift to the right, and climb out of the lower half of the track. At my cars current state of tune 3rd gear is still the selection of choice with the engine spinning at 5000 rpm at 80mph as I go around the soft left of Turn 7. The engine is really pulling hard here except that there’s been a few times my inside left rear has broke traction (where’s that LSD!) and I had to back off the throttle and get the rear end of the car back under control. Darn I hate to let up here.

Get on the brakes as late as you dare for Turn 8 and place yourself to drift past the apex as fast as your tires will allow. I’m traction limited here to going no faster than about 50mph. Another place where many of the transaxle cars out that day were clearly faster. My engine is turning a little slow here at 3100 rpm so my exit might not be as fast as it could. With better tires, say ones that allow me to corner 15mph faster, would put the revs at 4000, right in the torque band for my engine. Maybe a better solution than changing gear ratios ;-)

More speed exiting Turn 8 means more speed going down the main straight (after clearing the flat Turn 9 apex/concrete wall). There’s a bend down along the straight where the track connects to the latter portion of the drag strip. That can be taken flat out and may only be an issue during a race where one can pass anywhere. At this point I’ve reached 120mph again and ready to repeat the process. Lots of fun.

So while I’ve thought about adding just the right type of cam to get better power and up the rpm to seven grand, it’s pretty clear to me I’d better improve the car at other places if I really want to reduce my lap times.

Our esteemed web master was clearly quicker on the track than I. I don’t think his engine is much stronger, but he’s certainly got better tires, brakes, and likely better suspension components (plus more seat time the last couple of years). Michael, do you have an LSD as well ? I’ve forgotten. Add some input here.

JJ was also there. How about some comments regarding the track and driving your Milano (not the 3.7L car) JJ ?

Other locals were Mike Nakamura(sp?), Dave Kingston, and the NWARC president Fred Wright, although his wife Kathy drove their GTV6 that day (and in a different group).

A Portland guy had an electric blue Alfetta with extensive work done to the car. He had a 4-cam engine, roll-cage, brakes, tires/wheels, suspention, etc. He may have had the second fastest timed lap that day. I did here him say he gets out whenever he can so the guy has acquired some seat time experience as well.

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0