Any and all Alfa Romeo Car advertisements (complete cars).
Cassin
Silver
Silver

1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 - $15,000 O.B.O.

Post by Cassin »

1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 - $15,000 O.B.O.

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBay ... TORS:1123)

79,053 original miles as of 10/07/2012

This rare, classic car was manufactured on January 29th 1986, in the last year of the model’s manufacture, and was first sold on July 25, 1987 in Mountain View, California by Alfa of Palo Alto. I have its “birth certificate” from the Centro Documentazione of Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo in Arese.

I purchased the car from the first owner’s son (Alfisti friends I’ve known for many years), and I have most of the receipts for dealer service and work done on the car since it was new. I even have the original window sticker ($18,178) and the first California DMV temporary registration, as well as the original Maintenance Program booklet and leatherbound Owner’s Manual that came with the car.

About the car:

• This is a 100% California car since its purchase and it has always been garaged. Most of its life was in Northern California, but It has been in Southern California since 2003. There is not a speck of rust anywhere. The car was repainted with a high-end white paint in 2006, a little brighter than the original Shell White.

• We use the car principally on weekend jaunts up the coast, and occasionally through the desert and into the Sierra Nevada. It is flawlessly reliable, and I wouldn’t hesitate to take it on very long trips almost anywhere in North America. It is the dream car to drive up Hwy 1 along the Big Sur coast to Monterey, or up U.S. 395 on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada, both of which we’ve done many times. The car is a true Gran Turismo Veloce (GTV) in the best Italian tradition – a fast grand-touring car. It is an amazing performer on challenging roads.

• Original Alfa badges - front and rear – are intact, and a black Zenger spoiler is installed on the trunk lid.

• Original black velour upholstery had always been protected by seatcovers until I removed them last year, and it is in like-new condition. The headliner is clean and intact. The sunroof does not leak, and it operates smoothly.

• Incredibly comfortable reclining Recaro seats.

• The manual window crank is still in the glove box, although I have installed new electric window motors which work just fine. The manual crank is one of those things which usually disappear, but we still have it.

• New (8/07) Pioneer TSA 531 P AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio system with Sony CDX GT510 three-way speakers. Extraordinary sound.

• New ANSA free-flow exhaust system installed in June 2008. The exhaust note is like Bel Canto Italian opera. Always a head turner but not too loud.

• Slightly over 4,000 miles on the current set of radial tires. Original “wineglass” rims.
Mechanicals:

The car is not only beautiful, but it has always been meticulously maintained mechanically as well. It is in superb mechanical condition, and has never been driven hard or otherwise abused. It is, however, an exceptionally hot car whose performance – and sound - improved noticeably after installation of the ANSA Free-Flow exhaust system.

• 2nd gear synchros are strong – no crunchiness - but one still does not “speed shift” a GTV6. It has a strong, double-plate Milano Verde clutch.

• Castrol Syn-Tec 5-50 oil has been changed religiously every 1500 miles.

• A relay has been installed in the starter circuit, rectifying inadequate current to the starter and the occasional “click-click” response from the solenoid. This is an endemic problem with all GTV6’s. This GTV6 now always starts flawlessly under all weather conditions.

• The car passed the California smog test and meets all emission standards.

In addition to minor items and normal service, the following major work has been done during the past 18 months:

• Timing belt, cam seals, idle shaft, and crank seals were all replaced.

• New mechanical timing belt tensioner and tensioner bearing were installed.

• New drive shafts, front, center, and rear.

• All driveshaft “donuts” were replaced and the flywheel was balanced.

• Left and right rear brake calipers and pads were replaced.

• New emergency brake cable and brackets were installed.

• Upper and lower balljoints were replaced; front wheel alignment

• Rubber boots on steering pinions were replaced.

• Air intake hose and assembly were replaced.

• Hydraulic clutch master and slave cylinders were replaced.

• High capacity relay installed in the starter circuit.

• Rebuild alternator & new battery

• Installed a starter relay

• Replaced air valve

• Replaced all fuel injection hoses

• Replaced water pump & coolant hoses

• Replaced brake master cylinder; clutch master and slave cylinders

• Replaced fuel relay

• Replaced window switch and steering column switch

• Replaced starter motor

• Replaced fuel pump and filter

• Replaced hood struts

• Replaced tie-rod ends both sides, and steering coupler

• Replaced both cams (slightly hotter); replaced seals

Minor work needing attention:

• The otherwise-excellent “Tropic-Aire” airconditioning (which we don’t use here very often) needs to be recharged and serviced, and the heater/AC switch needs to be replaced.
Attachments
left front.jpg
left front.jpg (48.55 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
'86 GTV6