MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

A few of things to consider about exhaust systems if you are mainly interested in the exhaust note.

Firstly, think of the woodwind section in an orchestra and what do you realise? You realise that the sound coming out of the an oboe, flute or other doohickey is the result of resonance determined by varying the length of the air passage inside it. So resonance is the KEY to the note.

Reasonace can also be varied by volume and that's why different instruments produce a low or high tone base.

Your exhaust system is like a woodwind instrument but I don't expect you to play Jingle Bells on it like like formula 1 teams. So bear in mind that big bore systems will produce lower notes (even if they are configured to attenuate noise to the same degree as smaller bore systems) Naturally, the opposite is true that smaller bores produce a higher pitch (note) pipe reasonace.

What's my point?

When you start considering what sort of exhaust sytem you want on your car and apart from legal compliance issues , for Pete's sakes don't start with daydreaming about this brand or that brand of muffler. Think through the ENTIRE system for efficiency, fit, servicability,effective life, nature of materials, ground clearance and somewhere last on the list if you don't run out of paper, the note.

The exhaust note is the consequence of fulfilling all the other functional criteria and should be appreciated for its own qualities whatever that is as opposed to having a great note at the detriment to everything else. :wink:

Might seem like an obvious thing but try telling that to some rice burner dickhead driving around in a shopping cart hatch with a vacuum cleaner sized stainless steel muffler with a pretend big bore system good enough to serve a Mack truck but not enough power to pull the skin off stale milk and complete the picture as a total WANKER!

Don't go there...

:D :D Hey check out Barry's system for his pick up truck. Now Barry does play Jingle Bells actually 'cause he carries the organ in the back tray and he needs all the pipes for the organ. Got a few clues our Bazza he has... :D :D
Attachments
Getting even.jpg
Getting even.jpg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 4813 times
Ultimate Twin System.jpg
Ultimate Twin System.jpg (63.89 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
Jet power.jpg
Jet power.jpg (30.53 KiB) Viewed 4813 times
Exhaust by Barry ha haa.jpg
Exhaust by Barry ha haa.jpg (41.79 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
tcl
Silver
Silver

Post by tcl »

Well, my car is in the shop now for some work on the transaxle. The exhaust will be coming off for that. I'll decide in the next few days whether to keep the ANSA on the car or go back to stock. Thanks for all the input so far.
tcl
Silver
Silver

Post by tcl »

At my mechanic's recommendation, I kept the Ansa center pipes (they were in very good shape) and had the Ansa rear muffler replaced with the stock muffler. Power feels the same as with the full Ansa system but to my ear, the sound is much better. Still somewhat loud but not quite as loud as the full Ansa system. The tone is smoother.
johnmicy
Silver
Silver

Re: Ansa to stock exhaust - any power loss?

Post by johnmicy »

thanks for postings :)

Exhaust Systems